• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Rochdale 0-1 Southend United

Mr McNulty. Please follow your logic through. You say the referee should blow the whistle at the exact moment that added on time is up, regardless of where the ball might be. Fair enough. How do you know what the ref has decided to add on? It may be 2 minutes and 45 seconds (assuming the referee is as meticulous as you seem to be). Sadly the board can’t put up seconds as well as minutes and it can’t put up 3 minutes as that would be too much extra time.
So they show 2 minutes and define it as a minimum.
For someone who tries to come over as a deep-thinking manager, on this issue you appear to be rather thick.

The acid test on all these situations is if this happened at the other end of the pitch and time was blown just as Rochdale put the ball in the net. Of course McNutty would be fuming.

Mr McNulty. Please follow your logic through. You say the referee should blow the whistle at the exact moment that added on time is up, regardless of where the ball might be. Fair enough. How do you know what the ref has decided to add on? It may be 2 minutes and 45 seconds (assuming the referee is as meticulous as you seem to be). Sadly the board can’t put up seconds as well as minutes and it can’t put up 3 minutes as that would be too much extra time.
So they show 2 minutes and define it as a minimum.
For someone who tries to come over as a deep-thinking manager, on this issue you appear to be rather thick.
I'm sure he really knows all that. He's just clutching at straws because his team lost.

Yep, it's 2 minutes minimum. Then there's added seconds onto that 2 minutes for any stoppage or time wasting. And then there's no ref I have seen lately that stops play on a dangerous attack. They all let the attack play out and then blow. If the midfielders or defence have the ball, and are passing about, then they tend to blow on the second.
The most famous case I can think of where all hell broke loose after a game because the ref blew to the second, was ref Clive Thomas, who blew after the corner was taken, and just before a player headed it in. That would never happen nowadays.

What a knob. It’s 2 mins minimum added time. It was 15 seconds after that. He needs to learn the laws if he is going to start quoting them and berating the refs for not sticking to them.

He seemed a bit of a **** in the pre match interview too.
The ball went out of play three times between the start of stoppage time and our goal, which came 13 seconds after the minimum time allowed expired.

I think Mr McNulty should either look up the definition of 'minimum' or perhaps football isn't really for him and he should return to his role as a maverick police officer in West Baltimore.

Some of the Rochdale fans agree:

"Nonsense about their goal though, it doesn’t matter what the 4th official thinks because we all know it’s “a minimum of X minutes time added”. Didn’t hear any complaints when Rodney equalised against Hartlepool last season."

"McNultys interview in respect of the goal conceded was very poor, we glanced at the scoreboard and it was commented that if we saw off the attack it would be half time. I'm pretty sure there was about five seconds left as the cross was swung over that led to their goal. The defending was poor. The good teams and managers will pick us off , we're too easy to play against and don't cause enough problems to our opponents. Unfortunately McNulty can't change how we play, Southend managed the game from start to finish and had they needed to look for more goals during the second half, I'm sure they could have got them. "

ROCHDALE boss Jimmy McNulty was angry with the timing of Southend United’s winner on Saturday.

Josh Walker bagged the only goal of the game for the Shrimpers on the stroke of half-time.

But McNulty was unhappy play was allowed to continue beyond the allotted two minutes of injury time.

“I had my time to calm down and asked the fourth official why the game was still allowed to be playing that long after the two minute period,” McNulty told the club’s YouTube channel.

“He told me and I haven’t checked it yet that Southend scored 20 to 25 seconds over the allotted time.

“He said the referee can’t stop play when a team is where they were on the pitch because imagine what would the reaction would be.

“But for me, why does it matter what the reaction would be?

“Interpretation isn’t fair. The officials are there for the laws of the game and time is fair.”

As such, McNulty felt the game should have stopped before the Shrimpers scored.

“If we were about to put the ball in the net or they are but time is up then it’s fine,” said McNulty.

“Time is time and the clock is fair so officiate by the laws of the game.

“The fourth official said time was up but that he understood why the ref played on but I don’t.

“I’m baffled, when time is up blow the whistle.”

However, the Shrimpers made the most of the extra time played to pick up a win McNulty felt was not a fair reflection of the game.

“It’s difficult because it’s not a 1-0 Southend game,” said McNulty.

“It wasn’t a good Rochdale performance but it’s not a 1-0 Southend game and when it’s scored when time is up and we should be on our way back into the changing room it’s hard to take.”

But McNulty also admitted his own side were not at their best.

“I just don’t think we performed well and we weren’t very good,” said McNulty.

“The most disappointing aspect was that we lost the chance to use the skills of our very good players by not knowing what we should do.

“We didn’t play how we practise, and it was one of the most challenging games for me from a coaching perspective.

“We didn’t look overly threatening at all and the game had a disappointing tinge to it.

“Southend didn’t have much at all in the game and it was a pretty poor game.

“On the balance of play as a neutral and not being Rochdale affiliated I may even think a fair result was a draw to be honest.

The defeat saw Rochdale slip to sixth in the standings and McNulty is now targeting a return to winning ways against Halifax Town on Tuesday night.

“Football challenges you like this so on we go,” said McNulty.

“Whenever we don’t play well I find it hard to feel hard done by.

“We take the loss on the chin, we’ll be humble and go back to the training ground and try to be better.”
utter bollocks, if his team were about to score and the ref blew the whistle he would have cacked his pants.

Buck up chuck, you lost.

We had 1 effort on target which went in. Collin saved 3. Attacking wise, neither side deserved anything over 90 minutes.
Ralph also had a glorious chance that he headed wide. It doesn't matter if you have ten on target or one on target, if that gets you a goal for a 1-0 win, you deserve the victory. It's up to the opposition to outscore you and in truth, they never looked like doing that.

The onus shouldn't have been on us to go and create numerous chances, that's the duty of the home team, especially when they were 5th in the table and supposed to play 'Pep like' football. When we are full of confidence and on a good run, we will go and create a host of chances. We didn't need to on Saturday to get the result.

ROCHDALE boss Jimmy McNulty was angry with the timing of Southend United’s winner on Saturday.

Josh Walker bagged the only goal of the game for the Shrimpers on the stroke of half-time.

But McNulty was unhappy play was allowed to continue beyond the allotted two minutes of injury time.

“I had my time to calm down and asked the fourth official why the game was still allowed to be playing that long after the two minute period,” McNulty told the club’s YouTube channel.

“He told me and I haven’t checked it yet that Southend scored 20 to 25 seconds over the allotted time.

“He said the referee can’t stop play when a team is where they were on the pitch because imagine what would the reaction would be.

“But for me, why does it matter what the reaction would be?

“Interpretation isn’t fair. The officials are there for the laws of the game and time is fair.”

As such, McNulty felt the game should have stopped before the Shrimpers scored.

“If we were about to put the ball in the net or they are but time is up then it’s fine,” said McNulty.

“Time is time and the clock is fair so officiate by the laws of the game.

“The fourth official said time was up but that he understood why the ref played on but I don’t.

“I’m baffled, when time is up blow the whistle.”

However, the Shrimpers made the most of the extra time played to pick up a win McNulty felt was not a fair reflection of the game.

“It’s difficult because it’s not a 1-0 Southend game,” said McNulty.

“It wasn’t a good Rochdale performance but it’s not a 1-0 Southend game and when it’s scored when time is up and we should be on our way back into the changing room it’s hard to take.”

But McNulty also admitted his own side were not at their best.

“I just don’t think we performed well and we weren’t very good,” said McNulty.

“The most disappointing aspect was that we lost the chance to use the skills of our very good players by not knowing what we should do.

“We didn’t play how we practise, and it was one of the most challenging games for me from a coaching perspective.

“We didn’t look overly threatening at all and the game had a disappointing tinge to it.

“Southend didn’t have much at all in the game and it was a pretty poor game.

“On the balance of play as a neutral and not being Rochdale affiliated I may even think a fair result was a draw to be honest.

The defeat saw Rochdale slip to sixth in the standings and McNulty is now targeting a return to winning ways against Halifax Town on Tuesday night.

“Football challenges you like this so on we go,” said McNulty.

“Whenever we don’t play well I find it hard to feel hard done by.

“We take the loss on the chin, we’ll be humble and go back to the training ground and try to be better.”
‘We’ll be humble’, yet right yet another moaning Minnie, you lost,suck it up.

Some of the Rochdale fans agree:

"Nonsense about their goal though, it doesn’t matter what the 4th official thinks because we all know it’s “a minimum of X minutes time added”. Didn’t hear any complaints when Rodney equalised against Hartlepool last season."

"McNultys interview in respect of the goal conceded was very poor, we glanced at the scoreboard and it was commented that if we saw off the attack it would be half time. I'm pretty sure there was about five seconds left as the cross was swung over that led to their goal. The defending was poor. The good teams and managers will pick us off , we're too easy to play against and don't cause enough problems to our opponents. Unfortunately McNulty can't change how we play, Southend managed the game from start to finish and had they needed to look for more goals during the second half, I'm sure they could have got them. "
They can certainly see right through Mcnumpty

And it was definetly a 0-1 game. They offered next to nothing around our box, we looked dangerous in the first hslf but it was as clear as day we would then come out in the 2nd and manage the game with our passing style. He's talking rubbish.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back