• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Rochdale 0-1 Southend United

Officially now the smallest squad in the league. Hope we can keep up the tempo without more injuries or suspensions as we go again on Wednesday

Little wonder poor old Wood has to remain staring at wooden bum splinters when we could otherwise have loaned him out?

A win is of course great, especially away up north.

Kev selected a team, rather than the best individuals, and they settled into one of the most disciplined performances so far this season, where everyone played their part.

As we are all prone to overact to a defeat we shouldn’t over react to yesterday’s victory.

Not taking anything away from the performance, we got the rub of the green yesterday as Walker missed the ball with his first attempt, it hit his shin and fortuitously fell to his left foot. The rest of the game I can’t remember their keeper making a save and thus the excitement came from “can we hang on and not concede”. A perfect performance would have seen us getting that 2nd goal to seal victory.

We’re still only 14 games in so the table is still a bit misleading - are Rochdale that good? - probably not without Devante Rodney. However I can see the current top 5 staying in the top 7 as they have only lost 10 games between them leaving two places up for grabs - ourselves and Solihull Moors?

Getting Coker back makes a big difference in terms of balance and Collin showed again what a good keeper he is, with three good saves one of them rescuing a dismal back pass from Ralph. A keeper needs a settled defence in front of him. A great debut from Wind.

We now need to find a bit of consistency and build on the two clean sheets.

Exactly this, said the same after seeing his 5 minute performance , disappointed Kev stubbornly missed the opportunity to bring him on in previous games, would have possibly made the difference to our current points total
Cant see why Wind, Taylor and Gus cant be accommodated in the same side
You would need to be careful, if you move Gus from where he plays he may not be as effective. Wind may well have to bide his time, plus Kevin is hardly likely to change formation or system after 2 clean sheets and neither should he.

Just watched The Rochdale managers post game interview. So pathetic, blamed it all on 25 seconds of extra time in the first half allowing us to score.

Needs to look at his own failings rather than someones else's.
Yep. I was just about to post the same.

Only a masochist who likes poking their own eyes out with a stick should listen to that. It's just 11 mins of your life that you'll lose. FFS his team talks must be inspriring with that personality!

Do you really think Bonne will be on here reading Cricko’s posts?

I don’t think what he has posted can be construed as abusive, it’s an opinion. He is a fan and thinks the player is lazy and shouldn’t be at the club, I don’t think in a results and performance sport that is out of of order.
Some players do actually come on here as a pseudonym to see how they and their team mates are rated after games, but Bonne doesn't strike me (not that I know much about him) as one of those who would be bothered to worry about what fans are saying.

That said, agreed, absolutely nothing wrong with what Cricko posted.

Bonne was brought in to replace Cardwell. Of course, he doesn't have the pace to press or the aerial ability to defend corners that Cards possessed, but his ability is with scoring goals. If he's not doing that, he should be open to respectful criticism.

Social media abuse is not reasonable at all, but this site is the right place to judge performances. Otherwise, what do we talk about after a game??

Cricko displayed a reasonable judgement of performance. Respectfully, I do not think people understand anymore the difference between that and abuse.

I am sure if a player is not pulling his weight and/or performing, then Kev and Daz will tell him behind closed doors. Should they then complaint about mental health and stop going to training? If a player cannot critique their own weak spots, they will never perform any better than they are.

Last edited:

Kev selected a team, rather than the best individuals, and they settled into one of the most disciplined performances so far this season, where everyone played their part.
Not taking anything away from the performance, we got the rub of the green yesterday as Walker missed the ball with his first attempt, it hit his shin and fortuitously fell to his left foot. The rest of the game I can’t remember their keeper making a save and thus the excitement came from “can we hang on and not concede”. A perfect performance would have seen us getting that 2nd goal to seal victory.

We’re still only 14 games in so the table is still a bit misleading - are Rochdale that good? - probably not without Devante Rodney. However I can see the current top 5 staying in the top 7 as they have only lost 10 games between them leaving two places up for grabs - ourselves and Solihull Moors?

Getting Coker back makes a big difference in terms of balance and Collin showed again what a good keeper he is, with three good saves one of them rescuing a dismal back pass from Ralph. A keeper needs a settled defence in front of him. A great debut from Wind.

The way I saw it was that he brilliantly had a first touch, fooling all the defenders, and the commentators, and the fans, then smashed it in the net with his other foot. Cough.

Rochdale's manager Jimmy McNulty, Lol. Excuses galore, and no credit to the way Southend nullified their threat, and got the tactics spot on to cancel them out. He said Southend didn't have much at all, and Dale didn't play the way they practice. He said it should have been a boring draw. He blamed injuries, new players, changing the team. He thinks we scored 25 seconds after time was up. Quite angry about that. He also said it wasn't a 1-0 Southend game.

He forgets that all teams have injuries and new players. He forgets that unlike most clubs in this league, he has been able to buy some excellent players, and they now have a really strong squad. So he's blessed to have that money to spend which will probably buy them promotion this season. Why not stop moaning your bad fortune, and give Southend the credit they deserve for beating your team, at your ground. I suspect not many will do that this season.
Very good summary of his 11 minites of drivel. However it does explain why Rochdale were so sh*te in the 1st half. I suspect most of their team dropped off during his inspiring pre-match talk so it's not surprising that they played the 1st half like they were asleep.

As for the extra 25 secs, it's a shame he can't count either as I've just looked at the replay on NLTV & Walker put the ball in on 47:13. Perhaps if they hadn't put the ball out of play 4 times in added time the pace of the game would have been higher the the ref would have blown up earlier. I very much doubt any ref blows up dead on the added minutes.

It was part of a thread eariler in the week but just for information all the full match replays seem to have been uploaded on NLTV about 8am & they are free to watch so if you do want to see the game over you simply need to log in.

Should have been clearer, I was listening via the internet, not BBC Essex on the radio. Sadly can't listen to BBC Essex on the radio up here in Worcestershire. Check the match thread, lots of us exiles had the same issue.
Check out, 'Radio UK FM' app (has the union flag in its icon). Works for BBC Essex, although about 1 minute behind live commentary.

Nathan Ralph is possibly not quite up to Bridge as an attacking force but he is 10 times as effective as a defender and that swap has made a big difference at the back I think. Unfortunately for Jack its going to take an injury to get back in I imagine. Ralph can get the odd goal too as his header just wide yesterday showed.

It has been posted more than once before, but we must leave a man up when defending a corner or an attack, preferably KAF. For the final ten, twelve minutes when we were under the cosh, we would scrape the ball out, only for it to come straight back. Our one breakaway during that period - Bridge, Bonne - showed what could happen with a player upfield.
A good win, a solid performance but a fairly dire match to watch.

You would need to be careful, if you move Gus from where he plays he may not be as effective. Wind may well have to bide his time, plus Kevin is hardly likely to change formation or system after 2 clean sheets and neither should he.
Exactly this, well said. Wide midfielders rarely receive the ball with space in front of them, whereas a full back or wing back does. It is a totally different skill required to play there versus right back or right wing back.

So many fans - many on here - think if a right back has some attacking contribution they can just play midfield. It's never that easy.

Yes it was said elsewhere: post #24, lol! But quite agree. You create a slot for your better players and make the system work around them.
Neither player is a right back or a right midfielder. It may work, but I don't think it's something you can just try, without spending time working on it.

Personally, if Wind was that good, he should keep the shirt, and though it might be harsh, with GSM on the bench.

Some players do actually come on here as a pseudonym to see how they and their team mates are rated after games, but Bonne doesn't strike me (not that I know much about him) as one of those who would be bothered to worry about what fans are saying.

That said, agreed, absolutely nothing wrong with what Cricko posted.

Bonne was brought in to replace Cardwell. Of course, he doesn't have the pace to press or the aerial ability to defend corners that Cards possessed, but his ability is with scoring goals. If he's not doing that, he should be open to respectful criticism.

Social media abuse is not reasonable at all, but this site is the right place to judge performances. Otherwise, what do we talk about after a game??

Cricko displayed a reasonable judgement of performance. Respectfully, I do not think people understand anymore the difference between that and abuse.

I am sure if a player is not pulling his weight and/or performing, then Kev and Daz will tell him behind closed doors. Should they then complaint about mental health and stop going to training? If a player cannot critique their own weak spots, they will never perform any better than they are.
I suspect Bonne was brought in to reinforce the strike force but, not as a replacement for Cardwell. I think that player is still on the wish list. I have been disappointed with Bonne too and put it down to him not being a target man and one that would benefit hugely with a TM alongside him.

Great result yesterday. Special mention for Collin and Wind. Super performances from that pair. A very hard working effort all round. Consecutive away wins, clean sheets and one goal a game. We need to find a way to put games to bed because, even as yesterday showed, the odd error is there and in a lot of games we could have conceded.

Gubbins looks steadier each game and he has a decent pass in him. The defence is beginning to look more unified and possesses a good deal of potential. UTB

As we are all prone to overact to a defeat we shouldn’t over react to yesterday’s victory.

Yes, I doubt as individuals, on a skill challenge, Coker, Morts or Noor would rate as high as KAF or Moncur; BUT they do the yards, the closing down and, to borrow from Cantona, are essential "water carriers".
Same may be said for Pepple up top, and, imo Danny Waldron, no lack of effort with skills that sometimes aren't top notch; but they will keep going and trying: factors which "win" over most supporters.

Nathan Ralph is possibly not quite up to Bridge as an attacking force but he is 10 times as effective as a defender and that swap has made a big difference at the back I think. Unfortunately for Jack its going to take an injury to get back in I imagine. Ralph can get the odd goal too as his header just wide yesterday showed.

Already this season I have seen several good balls drift by the left hand back post. You end up thinking JB should get in those areas just like GSM does. Yesterday Ralph did exactly that and pulled an excellent ball back for our goal.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back