• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Supporters Group News Protest News

Yes, from our conversations with COSU & council, it was felt it (to protest this week) wasn’t in the best interests of the deal. We don’t necessarily agree with everything COSU say but I personally don’t see why they would suggest this without good reason. That being said I completely understand why everyone wants to go and do their bit and put pressure on the Martins we can only do what we all think is the best thing for the club.

I’m speculating on what the lapsed agreement means but it does create some grey areas on responsibilities inc, funding from what I understand at the moment.
For clarity, the initial agreement has not lapsed, it was extended to July.

As Mr Martin has stated on radio and publicly, he offered a personal guarantee (this is a thin legal protection often worth no more than the paper it is written on, especially a man who’s signed away all assets) for 50% of the running costs.

So from his point of view, COSU have that “pgtee” already, and they have “bought” the club’s debts for a £1, so they should not require anymore in terms of security.

The transaction has not closed, so the WUP debt is not COSU’s, yet.

Readers can make of all that as they wish.

We do not know what that means regarding “what was previously agreed” There has been an expired agreement. It could be as simple as they want a new contract. COSU do not have any issue with the Martin’s current progress, so honestly wouldn’t panic just yet over this (any more than we already are)
Yes looking at it now again it is interesting wording.

Thanks for that take / insight jphfitz appreciated. Interesting that you say COSU don't have problem with the Martin's progress, was this a consideration in the Trust not officially endorsing today's protest? Also just for clarification this lapsed agreement is this in relation to COSU funding the Club in the interim before actual ownership?
Certain members of COSU are desperate to avoid protests and are at pains to prevent them. They’ve intimated protests at the council, (“might be time to dust of the banners” comment at the cliffs), but have never done so re the Rat RM

I refuse to subscribe to the Echo so have no idea what he said.
It said

" Ron Martin today greeted protesters outside his home and let them know all was going well. Mr Martin, a former Rod Stewart double, mentioned he is in constant contact with the council, albeit over his wheelie bin collection.

He stated he fully expects the consortium to pay his debts as his money is now tied up in Jack's sex reasignment surgery and a compensation pay off to Mrs Mop Ltd.Mr Martin signed off with a sneer that not one of the protesters had commented on his beautiful buffaunted hair"

It said

" Ron Martin today greeted protesters outside his home and let them know all was going well. Mr Martin, a former Rod Stewart double, mentioned he is in constant contact with the council, albeit over his wheelie bin collection.

He stated he fully expects the consortium to pay his debts as his money is now tied up in Jack's sex reasignment surgery and a compensation pay off to Mrs Mop Ltd.Mr Martin signed off with a sneer that not one of the protesters had commented on his beautiful buffaunted hair"
Don't believe a word of that. At no point in the article did it use the word "Insist"

Is anyone able to publish the Echo article from today's protest thankyou

SOUTHEND United chairman Ron Martin has spoken with Shrimpers supporters protesting outside his house.

Blues fans continue to fear for the future of the club as talks continue between the Martin family and Southend City Council over the Fossetts Farm project.

That must be agreed if the consortium headed up by Justin Rees are to officially start running the Shrimpers.

When pressed on the matter, Martin told fans he expected the deal to be completed in four to five weeks.

But he also admitted to being unsure how a winding up petition, issued against the club by Stewarts Law and PG Site Services would be settled.

When asked who would pay the petition, Martin said: “We don’t know yet but someone will have to pay it.

“It will be the last hearing, it’s been marked final.

“I think we will find a solution.

“We’ve found many solutions.

“I don’t think it will be the end of the club.”

Martin confirmed he would not pay the winding up petition, which is believed to be around £500,000 and added the consortium had agreed to pay it once they were in charge.

“The deal is they pay for the operational costs on a day to day basis,” said Marttin.

“Historic costs like Stewarts Law and PG Site Services will be paid when they complete.”

Blues are therefore still facing an incredibly uncertain future but Martin does feel talks are progressing with the council over the property plans for Fossetts Farm.

“It’s entirely between the council and us,” said Martin.

“The conservative administration were happy and then labour took over.

“They wanted more houses and we don’t object to that.

“Yesterday we put to them a new proposal for them to consider and I think we’ll hear back next week. “

And Martin, who spoke to fans for close to 10 minutes, also stressed he had no ill feeling towards the council.

“I’m not blaming the council,” said Martin.

“They’ve got to go through their processes.

“It’s only fair Labour review it and I get that.

“It’s reasonable and they’ve now come back with what they want to see.

“Actually, it’s a complete flip from where we were and we’ve agreed it very quickly.

“We wrote to them yesterday agreeing to flip to houses from flats.

“That’s the main issue between us and everything in between we actually agree with.

“It’s now for them to do a financial analysis which I think we’ve done for them in yesterday’s email.

“They will come to a decision quite quickly.

“I’ve agreed in principle to everything they want.

“I spoke to Daniel Cowan yesterday and the council officers.

“They will come back to us but we have to give them time.

“We will come to terms I’m sure. “

And Martin also said he is keeping calm.

“I’m not stressed,” said the club chairman.

“I think the deal will be done and it will take four to five weeks.

“Daniel Cowan is a good guy and he’s trying to do the right thing, we all are.

“I want to see the club succeed but if we don’t get the council to approve it then the consortium will not want to buy Southend United.”

The consortium, headed up by Justin Rees, exchanged contracts with Martin for the sale of the club just before Christmas but are still waiting to take charge.

The consortium issued a statement to the Echo on Friday outlining the three things needed to stop them walking away from the deal.

Included in their demands was sorting an agreement with the Martins to provide security for the further funds the consortium would need to inject prior to the takeover.

But Martin seemed to suggest that would not be forthcoming.

“I’m not going to give them security,” said Martin.

“They are contracted to pay the debt, that’s their purchase price.

“They’ve paid £1.2million of it and they’ve got £1.3million to go.

“It’s a balanced agreement and Justin and I get on quite well.

“It’s gone on longer than he wanted and he feels exposed because he’s got less security for his debt other than the contract so I said look trust me.”

Martin received heckles for the response before adding: “I feel that’s pretty unfair.

“Have it your way but you’ll look back one day and you’ll see.”

Reading through it after copying it it seems very "honest" If that could be used in a sentence describing Ron. Seems the council wanted to flip from flats to houses which he's agreed to.

I think if Stewarts could withdraw their petition it would create a a bit of breathing space for everyone to complete on the deal rather than having to fight another fire.

Back