• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Official at last. Maher,Currie,Bentley.

Buzzing so much I still can't sleep! It feels to me that we have rediscovered the United in our name. From the union of four, each individual playing their part in the decision process to deliver to us, what feels like a dynamic new management team.
King Kev, DC and Bents all bring different qualities to the table. Yes it may take some time for the three of them to settle into their roles, but I am sure all three of them are brimming with fresh ideas and are eager to get going.
That positive attitude will surely lift the playing staff, and I believe is key to getting a harmonious tune out of this squad, more so than previous blame cultures. There is enough talent in that squad for it not to be a bottom 4 side in the NL.
Finally our part to play as fans. This process has seen us United at executive level to deliver a United management team. We must Unite to support this process, and give the new management team every opportunity to deliver what we all want. Success, which ultimately for us is promotion back to the promised lands of the EFL.
We must draw a line under the mistakes of the past, learn from them but not forget them. We are all hurting from the negativity of the past three years, but you can only stop negativity through positive actions. Let's Roots Hall Roar our team back up the leagues!!!!

I'm finally excited after the last three seasons. The appointment of Maher, Currie and Bentley have sent enthusiasm around the globe for us Southend supporters.

Let's hope we can start off this weekend with a good showing against the Daggers and hope there's more good news for the club next week.

Onwards and upwards. I know it will take time to stamp their mark on the club but, boy am I looking forward to the future. Can't wait for the pre-season tour of Australia as well :Hilarious:

What I like most about this appointment is that if there is any unknown/unproven non league talent playing within the radius of the M25 that might have the potential to play for us it is unlikely that either Darren Currie or Mark Bentley (or their contacts) will not have heard of them. This is in especially stark contrast to the previous regime.
This looks like a really good fit for the Club.

Last edited:
Are you giving Ron some praise there as well? Lets just wait and see wether these 3 are a good appointment. We can give Stan some praise if they succeed, not at the moment. Calm down!!
Things had to change and they did.
Stan deserves praise because even an old hype resistant cynic like me has to acknowledge that these three could not have been brought to the club without SVC's involvement.
And this is costing and it seems Ron is stumping up the cash so I am more than happy to raise my hat to RM in appreciation of his backing.
Success is never guaranteed in football so who knows what the future holds.
And while success may not be guaranteed with Phil in charge failure pretty much was!

What I like most about this appointment is that if there is any unknown/unproven non league talent playing within the radius of the M25 that might have the potential to play for us it is unlikely that either Darren Currie or Mark Bentley (or their contacts) will not have heard of them. This is in especially stark contrast to the previous regime.
This looks like a really good fit for the Club.
Yes, this is the most important thing, so important

Superb news. I am really excited about the whole structure now that the personnel are evident.

For those super optimists by the way, Paddy Power (85/1) and Skybet (80/1) have those odds for Southend to win promotion. Now... I don't think we'll win promotion... but if we turn the club around and can sneak a top 7 finish - and there are 30+ games left, tons of time - you can cash out.

Limited to £20 per bet.

If you decide to have a flutter, join me in the "I've lost a score" club...

Things had to change and they did.
Stan deserves praise because even an old hype resistant cynic like me has to acknowledge that these three could not have been brought to the club without SVC's involvement.
And this is costing and it seems Ron is stumping up the cash so I am more than happy to raise my hat to RM in appreciation of his backing.
Success is never guaranteed in football so who knows what the future holds.
And while success may not be guaranteed with Phil in charge failure pretty much was!
Agreed. And whilst I totally understand all the frustration and anger of the past, someone has kept us afloat. Ron wasn't the villain of the piece 15 years ago when we were heading for the Championship.

We'll see how this pans out, but there certainly is huge cause for optimism and it does feel as though the entire club has been given a massive lift.

My only concern, is what happens if, for instance, we lose the next 5 games.

Agreed. And whilst I totally understand all the frustration and anger of the past, someone has kept us afloat. Ron wasn't the villain of the piece 15 years ago when we were heading for the Championship.

We'll see how this pans out, but there certainly is huge cause for optimism and it does feel as though the entire club has been given a massive lift.

If we lose the next 5 games?
SZ goes into meltdown and demands a joint Sol Campbell/Phil Brown ticket is hired to rescue us from oblivion!
Maybe not.
Only by looking at the three incoming names do you realise just how bad some of our recent managerial appointments have been.
If we lose the next five I will be looking for us to pick in the next five.
This is not a quick fix and Tilly was not slow to remind us how lacking in quality the present squad is.
Avoiding relegation is the first priority, and, with the bulk of the squad out of contract at the end of the season we should then be in an ideal position to begin some serious rebuilding.

We as supporters have to give them time. This season should measured in just stopping the sinking ship. Avoid relegation. Task 1 completed small building blocks need to be built.

Excellent news and happy about all 3 appointments. Important to have Currie involved due to his previous experiences with Barnet at this level.

But let's face it if this doesn't work then I don't know what will!

King Kev’s finest moments as a Southend Player.

1 - that tackle drive and pass to Wayne Gray versus Bristol City

2 - Lifting the trophy in Cardiff on his brothers wedding day

3 - Lifting the Chanpions trophy at Roots Hall the following season

4 - that performance and those goals in the 5-0 demolition of QPR.

5 - signing as first team coach.

if anyone is in any doubt as to what Kev brought to the club that game against QPR is available in full on YouTube. That was an extraordinary single performance but it underlines the determination that he had as a player, the leadership he had as a captain, his ability to do the simple as well as the sublime, his willingness to always try to make himself an outlet for the player on the ball. That single 5 seconds against Bristol City, the tackle, the drive forward and the lay off I’ll watch that moment again and again for the rest of my life

if we get 10 per cent of that rubbing off in his new role we will make a 100 per cent improvement on the pitch.

Just watched that QPR match, what a great performance. here's a link if you want to watch again

The other beauty of this move is that they will all consider themselves to be up and coming coaches and if they deliver the success we hope then they will attract interest from elsewhere. As they don’t come as a package we are unlikely to risk losing them all but rather have to replace one of them with a new piece of jigsaw.

I was really excited about this trio however having now slept on it and thought about it for 12+ hours I can confirm I am still really excited about this trio.

Roll on Saturday - Cannot wait to see a Kevin Maher Sh*thouse blues 1-0 win

“ Kevin Maher Sh*thouse blues ”, hmm that could be the name of his first album if he decided to become a singer?

Back