• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Official at last. Maher,Currie,Bentley.

What a terrific trio of appointments, and more to come too :Thumbs up:

As I’ve mentioned before, Currie was my choice to replace Campbell, so I’m delighted he is onboard, but having King Kev & Benno back is amazing.

Both of them played in charity matches I organised, Maher in 2014 (Clawed an effort out of the top corner from him) and Bentley in 2015 (Claimed a cross off his head as he was about to score), and both are phenomenal blokes. I can’t thank them enough for what they did for me back then, and to see them again, and be on the sidelines supporting them is brilliant.

This is a very exciting appointment. All three appointments are independent of each other, so if Maher doesn’t get it right, it won’t be like MM and ripping up all the contracts of those involved (bar one).

Whilst this new set up, and new appointments doesn’t guarantee success, I still feel like exciting times are returning to Roots Hall.

Just looking at the comments from the likes of David Lee (Agent) & Mark Gower (Scout & recruitment) makes you realise how much potential this appointment of Maher has.

The point is that we still have the same team. Remember everyone on here has said that it is the worse bunch of players ever. They have a huge job on their hands. I wish them luck.

I think we have to see this as a short, medium & long term culture change. It’s not just about what they can do with the current squad.

Well
Yes - Kevin Maher
Yes - Darren Currie
Yes - Mark Bentley
Was a big clue then.

Loved Maher and Bentley as players.

Very happy with all 3 appointments.

Great job Stan and all those concerned.
Are you giving Ron some praise there as well? Lets just wait and see wether these 3 are a good appointment. We can give Stan some praise if they succeed, not at the moment. Calm down!!

Are you giving Ron some praise there as well? Lets just wait and see wether these 3 are a good appointment. We can give Stan some praise if they succeed, not at the moment. Calm down!!
Why do people have to calm down? Not your business if people are happy and excited about sufc for a change.

Would you rather ron had appointed mick mccarthy?

well done Ron and Tom as well:
1) using Stan's ability & drive
2) signing a backroom team that cares about the club, has experience at this level, young and will be gagging to do well.
3) something positive

Hope we can draw a line now, move on and support Ron, the club and this exciting trio.

If you do in fact look at the CV’s only Currie brings any experience at this level. 18 months as a manager and another 18 months as a coach.
They’ve got experience of the league above and the league below though.

Benno also played at Wealdstone, Grays, Boreham Wood and Dagenham as well.
Currie also insisted that his teams play out from the back. That worked well with Moseley didn't it?
Think everyone is getting carried away here. I really hope they do ,but I can't see these 3 making much of a difference. Lets just calm down and wait and see what happens.
It worked well when Maher and Bentley played under Tilly though.
I think the important thing is that Maher recognises it isn’t an overnight fix and talks about laying the foundations/building blocks. He sounds realistic that it is going to take time. The champagne football will come once confidence is restored.

Why do people have to calm down? Not your business if people are happy and excited about sufc for a change.

Would you rather ron had appointed mick mccarthy?
Ah come on - let your hair down.

I’m just happy it’s a fresh approach.

We’ve had some dark years with some awful appointments.

We don’t really have anything to lose anymore.

Two former players who were loyal footballers to this club and a man who has experience in this league. Worth the risk I’d say.

Not sure what a better scenario would be than that?

Fantastic news .... now let's get behind them and all the players!!

Hopefully an exciting new era awaits!!!

No-one can be disappointed with those appointments. Welcome Kev, Darren and Mark ?

Ah come on - let your hair down.

I’m just happy it’s a fresh approach.

We’ve had some dark years with some awful appointments.

We don’t really have anything to lose anymore.

Two former players who were loyal footballers to this club and a man who has experience in this league. Worth the risk I’d say.

Not sure what a better scenario would be than that?
Think youve quoted the wrong chap, im excited ?

Feeling a bit smug :Smile: not quite the right title, but back in 2019 it's what we'd have expected.

Absolutely delighted with this, remember Kev going out of his way when we played Gillingham (where he was at that time) during the original SOS fund raising in 2009, to come and find us in the Shrimpers after the game and chuck some money in the fund raising pot. Also came to see us, again in the Shrimpers after the game when we last played Brizzle, and Paul and I were in there setting up for a quiz night. He's always had time for us on the Trust, and always been an excellent leader on the pitch. We know how well the youngsters were doing under him as well.

Last edited:
Back