• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Macauley Bonne Signs

feels like a punt has been taken here, has great form previously in this division, hope he gets up to speed quickly and starts contributing, recent seasons not worked out for him.

Very good signing on paper - has a great goalscoring rate at this level, has scored goals all the way up to the Championship, and is in his prime years. Could be a very astute signing if it works out.

I'm always mindful of players dropping down the divisions, especially when it has happened as quickly as it has for him. Has he lost the hunger and drive? Maybe, and we'll soon find out.

Similarly, it could be that things just haven't gone his way in the last couple of seasons. He said in his interview that he's been "moved from pillar to post". Perhaps he just needs a fresh start, an arm round the shoulder, and somewhere he can get settled and enjoy his football again, just like Moncs.

Most of the good players on their way up who were playing in the level below were gone by the time we were able to do any serious transfer business. We now have to wait for the well to replenish with this season's gems. In the meantime, this feels a fairly low-risk solution for us, and if it doesn't work out then he leaves at the end of the season, and we'll be able to have an entire summer transfer window unencumbered to replace him.
It also might be that the NL is his level......if that is the case he will do us nicely. There is no doubt that when things are going right for him he is a proven goalscorer and do we need someone who fits that description.

Oh, another one of our cast-offs. Good player 5 years ago. Far too mobile, strong and industrious for the Conference when we got promoted. Shadow of that player in recent seasons. Career has gone down the drain since his beloved Ipswich refused to sign him on a permanent in ‘22. Absolute w**ker of a bloke.
'our' cast offs? The positivity of your post had me marking you down as a rusted on Blues supporter!

Maher does seem to have the respect of the players and on the face of it, has developed a great team spirit. Moncur apparently wouldn’t last more than 60 mins a game but he’s done alright so far and looked a class above. I’m prepared to judge on what I see.
I was hugely impressed with GM's contribution in the final half hour at Oldham. When he joined us I had him marked down as only a sixty minute player but I may well have underestimated him.

feels like a punt has been taken here, has great form previously in this division, hope he gets up to speed quickly and starts contributing, recent seasons not worked out for him.
I think are right, but the club arguably took a bigger punt on Harry Cardwell who turned out to be a truly great signing.

If Bonne wants to get his career back on track after a few disappointing years, he has a wonderful opportunity at Southend.

The management team were clearly in discussions with him for some time and must have reached the conclusion over a number days (and perhaps weeks) that the player was indeed hungry for success and was prepared to put the work in to achieve it.

Of course, nothing is guaranteed in football (or life in general) but all things considered I think this a pretty carefully calculated punt by Kevin Maher and the management team.

Some of our best signings over the years have been players who have previously had an inconsistent track record at other clubs (or worse), but for some reason really click at Southend.

I do agree with you, in that his last few years haven't been great and one could question why he is playing in the NL with the pedigree he has at the prime age of 28. I'm sure they are flags that Kev and Co waved when his name came up. However, the club have definitely protected themselves as they have only given him a one year deal, with a club option. In years gone by, that would have been a 2-3 year deal. Another sign that our club is changing for the better.

Overall, I think it is a punt worth taking because if he does find that love and form again, we will reap the benefits massively. I'm really hoping the link-up with Moncur will be the catalyst that will ignite his form.

Maybe the squad needed a new Kensdale?

I’d be looking to follow the “Kensdale” route to replace him in the long term.

For now, we have Crowther in there, and Gubbins could go in there too, with Ralph & Taylor flanking him. Obviously an injury changes things around.

Kensdale was not ready when we signed him, and he trained with us for a while, whilst we were under an embargo, and he gradually was integrated into the first team. I think we follow this path with someone from the NLS/N or even the level below if we spot something there.

Pick them up, let them get up to speed, name them on the bench, and allow them to make their own way in at their own pace, a little bit like we’ve done with Wind.

Gills fans say he’s a good player but had a massive lack of service last season which impacted his tally, the key is getting the ball into him and he has the ability and experience to finish.

As for service, we aren’t looking bad are we, Gus and Bridge wing backs and the likes of Nor and boy George in the middle.

The caveat is of course injuries plus building this team mid-season without a pre-season. There is one person to blame for that (and it’s ‘definitely not’ COSU).

I look at it like this, its great opportunity for bonne to get his own football career going after couple poor seasons for whatever reasons. He knows already he joining club with lack of striker options so he knows he going to get guaranteed starts...... from that aspect the motivation and desire should be there, remember he only 28 so still got time on his side to get back to the EFL (hopefully with us) if not another club in the future if he scores lot of goals. Given he only on 1 year deal with club option of further year its punt worth taking. Hopefully by May we are in the play-offs and we have 15 plus goal season striker on our hands.

My worry.. if we play nice slow possession football at the back and then run out of ideas launching it forward expecting him to make goals I think that's where we might have an issue.

Let's see

Don't worry. We just need to work on Collin's kicking - he has the strength to reach the other end of the pitch as we saw repeatedly at Oldham. If he can just land the ball at Bonne's feet on the edge of their area we'll be three or four goals up by half time....... Have it! 🙂

I’m not sure we should be overly concerned what his past shows us. We all know a player of his quality does not generally drop to the NL without a reason. The key here though is the mentality of the player.

For Bonne he must be aware that this is now pretty much last chance saloon for him to prove he can still do it at a professional level. If he fails with us then where does he go next? So I am hoping he comes with a positive mindset to prove the doubters wrong and to put himself in the shop window for a move back to the FL which in turn will help fire us back up to the upper end of the table.

And let’s be honest…he won’t have come to us for one last payday, we certainly aren’t that club any more!

Follow the breadcrumbs and you’ll eventually get to where he didn’t turn up to a Charlton match day squad and got pictured on the **** at an Ipswich game instead.
But you don't understand, Jonny. The pubs here in Ipswich would have tempted Ronaldo away from a Champions League final.

Isn't that the general feeling towards Moncur too. He has been top class so far

Not really. Moncs issues in League One have been purely fitness/pace and suitability for Wellensball. His evangelical beliefs aren’t my cup of tea, but he’s generally considered a bit of a harmless weirdo rather than an absolute bellend. They’re both too good for non-League from a (theoretical) talent perspective.

Back