• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Macauley Bonne Signs

Judge him after a few games I think. Paper quality signing. Highlight reel shows a good finisher.

My worry.. if we play nice slow possession football at the back and then run out of ideas launching it forward expecting him to make goals I think that's where we might have an issue.

Let's see

To be honest, (and again, I’m speaking about the Orient version of him here) lumping it forward for him isn’t the worst idea in the world. Won his share of flick-ons by timing his jumps well. He was excellent at running the channels, chasing lost causes and holding the ball up. Work rate was second-to-none. Short passing and intelligent movement weren’t the best, so he was actually suited to a more direct style of football.

Not the most natural finisher on earth, but good at one-on-ones when he has that extra second to think; otherwise has a tendency to side-foot snap shots too close to the keeper. Good at meeting crosses in the air. Walking yellow card candidate.

Last couple of times I’ve seen him he didn’t do very much of anything. Granted, Neil Harris sides play s**t, ineffective football but he wasn’t running the channels like he used to and that vastly reduced his effectiveness. Lost all of the aggression but kept the petulant attitude.

Last chance saloon for him, methinks. Could be a masterstroke if there’s any sort of fire left.

Would be nice to see him return 15-20 goals and better Cardwell this season.
Match fitness and supply are my only concerns at the moment. If we can get the ball to him in the right places I am sure he will do the business.

To assist our Mickey G on the mike is his name pronounced "Bonney", "Bonn" "Bonnay" or any other way ?

It won't matter really as he will say it wrongly any way. :Smile:

To be honest, (and again, I’m speaking about the Orient version of him here) lumping it forward for him isn’t the worst idea in the world. Won his share of flick-ons by timing his jumps well. He was excellent at running the channels, chasing lost causes and holding the ball up. Work rate was second-to-none. Short passing and intelligent movement weren’t the best, so he was actually suited to a more direct style of football.

Not the most natural finisher on earth, but good at one-on-ones when he has that extra second to think; otherwise has a tendency to side-foot snap shots too close to the keeper. Good at meeting crosses in the air. Walking yellow card candidate.

Last couple of times I’ve seen him he didn’t do very much of anything. Granted, Neil Harris sides play s**t, ineffective football but he wasn’t running the channels like he used to and that vastly reduced his effectiveness. Lost all of the aggression but kept the petulant attitude.

Last chance saloon for him, methinks. Could be a masterstroke if there’s any sort of fire left.
How was he about staying onside? My QPR mate said this is a problem for him.

Im staggered (maybe i shouldnt be) about the amount of negativity on here towards Bonne. He is 28, scored goals at all levels and yes maybe the last two years in particular have been a bit light but give the lad a chance. Maybe like Moncur he just needs to feel wanted and belonging to something good. What he will get from kev and co is just this. They would have been careful before offering Bonne a deal to make sure he can fit in to the squad ethos. Is it a gamble maybe, but he is on a one year deal so worth the gamble. I remember signing Corr, at the time he had more red cards than goals that season and that worked out pretty well. So less negative stuff and give the lad the suppport and chance he deserves.

Im staggered (maybe i shouldnt be) about the amount of negativity on here towards Bonne. He is 28, scored goals at all levels and yes maybe the last two years in particular have been a bit light but give the lad a chance. Maybe like Moncur he just needs to feel wanted and belonging to something good. What he will get from kev and co is just this. They would have been careful before offering Bonne a deal to make sure he can fit in to the squad ethos. Is it a gamble maybe, but he is on a one year deal so worth the gamble. I remember signing Corr, at the time he had more red cards than goals that season and that worked out pretty well. So less negative stuff and give the lad the suppport and chance he deserves.
100% this ! Well said 👏

He’s a highly egotistical and divisive dressing room figure. We put up with it because of his on-field performances, but he’s not well-liked.

We lost our one last week. Great to see us cover that slot so quickly.

Many of our fans are obsessed with Kev's whiteboard. It's the names on the blackboard that interest me.

Absolutely, Well said Jon!

He said as much in his interview, if anyone hasn't seen it, well worth a listen, on video he comes across and very genuine. He says over the last couple of years he's been "chucked about all over the gaff...." So if we can show him he is wanted, both by club and fans, I think we have a winner here. He also said the last two years haven't been the best, but he won't have forgotten the skill and football technique he has within him that took him to the Championship in the first place.

May take a few games to get up to full match fitness, but what he has in the tank should be enough to show he will be an asset to us at this level.

TLC and watch him fly imho.

Absolutely, Well said Jon!

He said as much in his interview, if anyone hasn't seen it, well worth a listen, on video he comes across and very genuine. He says over the last couple of years he's been "chucked about all over the gaff...." So if we can show him he is wanted, both by club and fans, I think we have a winner here. He also said the last two years haven't been the best, but he won't have forgotten the skill and football technique he has within him that took him to the Championship in the first place.

May take a few games to get up to full match fitness, but what he has in the tank should be enough to show he will be an asset to us at this level.

TLC and watch him fly imho.
Agree, I felt it was a genuine honest interview, didn't seem any excess ego there. Also his Instagram comes across very low key, lots about his wife, family and dogs, nothing really self promoting. Personally my gut feeling is we have a gooden on hands and for what it's worth Monc's seems to give him his blessing aswell, so he can't be to bad a lad can he ? 🤷‍♂️

Is Walker still out? Looking forward to seeing what the new signings can do. I mean, I absolutely love the GSM goals, but it would be nice to get someone else on the scoresheet lol.

To be fair to Jahny Stakes, his view of Mooney was spot on at the time.

As said by a number of posters, Bonne is a little older now, has got another chance & it is up to the management team (and our midfield) to get the best out of him.

I just hope he can build up his fitness quickly.

I’m not sure we should be overly concerned what his past shows us. We all know a player of his quality does not generally drop to the NL without a reason. The key here though is the mentality of the player.

For Bonne he must be aware that this is now pretty much last chance saloon for him to prove he can still do it at a professional level. If he fails with us then where does he go next? So I am hoping he comes with a positive mindset to prove the doubters wrong and to put himself in the shop window for a move back to the FL which in turn will help fire us back up to the upper end of the table.

And let’s be honest…he won’t have come to us for one last payday, we certainly aren’t that club any more!
Remember ranger ?? And his past and he ****ing loved Southend and we loved him

Back