• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If RM was happy to get rid he wouldn't of (allegedly) asked Bolton for £0.5m compensation or just given Brown a new contract last season so financially he wont want to pay-up his contract. My guess is the picture will only change if Leaue1 status is under threat. Plus he's backed brown in the transfer market over the summer so will give him time for those transfers to gel.
Whether those transfers are right is another matter, Ranger hasn't played pro football in almost 2 years, does he still have the ability and more importantly, the desire? Why do we have more right backs than centre backs? Why does Brown keep saying 'I need another striker' when we struggle to put out 4 fit midfielders? Those are more fundamental issues about Browns transfer market dealings I'd be more concerned about.

If RM was happy to get rid he wouldn't of (allegedly) asked Bolton for £0.5m compensation or just given Brown a new contract last season so financially he wont want to pay-up his contract. My guess is the picture will only change if Leaue1 status is under threat. Plus he's backed brown in the transfer market over the summer so will give him time for those transfers to gel.
Whether those transfers are right is another matter, Ranger hasn't played pro football in almost 2 years, does he still have the ability and more importantly, the desire? Why do we have more right backs than centre backs? Why does Brown keep saying 'I need another striker' when we struggle to put out 4 fit midfielders? Those are more fundamental issues about Browns transfer market dealings I'd be more concerned about.

Transfers?...How much of the predicted £2/3 million we are due, have we spent this summer. Has Ron really backed his manager or is this just another zone myth?

How much did Ron want for Mohsni before losing him on a free?

Those of you suggesting Ron won't get rid due to the size of the compensation payment don't actually know what is in the contract. As much as there should be an incentive for gaining promotion I would expect there to be a clause covering minimum performance standards. There is also the matter of reduced gate figures should this bad run continue so it's not as clear cut as some of you might think.

Transfers?...How much of the predicted £2/3 million we are due, have we spent this summer. Has Ron really backed his manager or is this just another zone myth?

2 or 3 million? Wheres that predicted from? Or do you mean two thirds?

For starters I would guess Cox is on about the same, maybe a little more than Hunt ? We have currently shipped out more than we have brought in so I doubt the current wage bill is much different to last season, maybe less ?

The most disappointing part of last season was the news Brown had been given a new extended contract. I am sorry but I really can't see what the man brings to the party. He loves himself too much and is totally deluded. The little respect I may
have may have had for him was totally lost when he was talking himself up for a job with England. He was doing this at a time when he should have been fully focused on Southend.

Brown has had all summer to sort the problems out. He has been looking for a striker for 12 months now and Gillingham turn up with a loanee on Saturday that must surely been on Brown's radar. If Brown is correct in saying he had made enquiries, then why weren't they followed up ?

More worryingly perhaps Brown's treatment of loanees last season counted against us. Either way Gillingham even allowing for their injuries seemed far better prepared and more hungry for a result than we were. I think it will be a long hard season, as for sacking Brown, I would say cheerio now but Ron will give him until November at least.

Last edited:
i think we need to draw a line under the end of last season, it's history - time to move on

You cant just forget last season, it was a terrible run of form. Putting a line under last season can only happen with a new manager, not with the same.

I will say until September, Brown has long lost the dressing room now.

These were the figures others on here have predicted for Bentley, Payne and the sell-on players such as Hayden.

Sell on fees and add ons could be years down the line, he cant spend money that we might never get.

We are likely to get not more than a few hundred thousand up front, we lose a hundred thousand a month as well.

That said it does sound like a fee for Simpson will be paid if he is signed.

For starters I would guess Cox is on about the same, maybe a little more than Hunt ? We have currently shipped out more than we have brought in so I doubt the current wage bill is much different to last season, maybe less ?

Exactly....So you agree we have spent none of the money available to us so far. Even a Gills fan posted on here, that they spent the money they received from the sale of Norris on bigger wages to secure some of their players.

Whether that proves to be good business is another debate. But for now, what it does mean is surprise, surprise the guy they bring in looks better than the one the released to us on a free.

Exactly....So you agree we have spent none of the money available to us so far. Even a Gills fan posted on here, that they spent the money they received from the sale of Norris on bigger wages to secure some of their players.

Whether that proves to be good business is another debate. But for now, what it does mean is surprise, surprise the guy they bring in looks better than the one the released to us on a free.
The one they released to us that was played on the wrong side for an entire half on Saturday by our tactical genius that is Philip Brown ? lol

Sell on fees and add ons could be years down the line, he cant spend money that we might never get.

We are likely to get not more than a few hundred thousand up front, we lose a hundred thousand a month as well.

That said it does sound like a fee for Simpson will be paid if he is signed.

No they won't, they have already been sold on. Besides clubs often delay payment to one club until they have received from another.

I'm not saying spend £2 million on the team, but surely 10% of money received could be used to strengthen the squad.

Truth is we have been dire for some time now,Last season we had better players and were still rubbish !

Been saying for ages that Phil demands the players to keep the ball which is ok if we had fluid movement,yet constantly fiddling with it in the deep is frankly appalling football IMO.

Nobody knows how Ron is thinking but for 50 minutes on Saturday it was truly shocking ,personally I see Gills as top 7,God knows what a good outfit would have done to us.

Seen 2 games this season with the other against Real Newcastle Madrid,we were pathetic then and somehow they were even worse on Sat.

No they won't, they have already been sold on. Besides clubs often delay payment to one club until they have received from another.

I'm not saying spend £2 million on the team, but surely 10% of money received could be used to strengthen the squad.

So you are now saying RM should be blamed for the 2nd half performance against Gillingham?

I do worry how you will cope when Brown has gone (sooner rather than later I hope) because you are clearly deluded when it comes to looking at things logically. You wear such brown tinted glasses it is quite rediculous. Anyway - sorry that wasn't meant to be a personal attack on you - but you always appear to blame everyone else except for Mr Brown.

Yep, it's all PB's fault that we got to 7th in the table last season and took 10 points out of 18 from the three promoted sides.

I'm not sure what people are expecting from a club paying low wages and yet still managing to sit safely in this league last season, at the first time of asking.

Granted, if we are bottom at Christmas, then things would need looking at, but one match into a new season is a bit early to decide if we are going to do well or not.

Im not following.

Bentley and Payne have not been sold on, we will get a sell on fee when they move on to the next club.

We will get a fee from tribunal which I doubt will be anywhere near a million for both, the sell ons and addons will come much later. We may only get half a million up front for both and we may or may not get bigger amounts depending on what the add ons are, and the biggest one is normally a sell on fee.

Or was you talking about just Hayden? We will get a sell on for him, but no one knows that amount do they?

Back