• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Where does the blame lie for the mismanagement of signings then ? We have wasted a lot of money on failures since Brown has been here whether it be wages, signing on fees etc.. Barnard, Eastwood, Hunt, Bolger would all have been on a lot more than Deegan. I think Deegan was treated badly, we stalled and stalled over giving him a proper contract, wasn't it a 3 month trial type deal initially ? The guy worked his nuts off to prove himself. If the current and past failures had shown half the effort we would have had a lot more success. Cox has a huge question mark over his worth right now, maybe he needs to gain some fitness but the general consensus from those around me on Saturday was he looks over weight, slow and not that interested.

signing on fees.....Which players received one of those.

Nobody wanted Deegan, He was on his way back to Ireland to quit football when we signed him. Now he's back in L1, not to badly treated is it ?

What worries me, is I think we mustn't get adrift from safety by too many points too early in the season.

PB has a history of going on 'losing streaks' and can't/doesn't seem to have the ability to halt the slide.

Heads seem to drop too easily in both of our first games, we need a leader on the park, and I don't think that's AB.

IMHO Central defenders need to be at least 6'3" (both preferably) to give you most chance at the first ball at set pieces.

On to our midfielder not passing through the middle, or to wingers who need to beat a full back to cross.
My viewpoint is that it's the static/non movement of forwards not giving the midfield anyone to pass to, that has been the problem for sometime. Mooney, when he does move gets caught off side, I'm afraid I haven't seen anything in Cox to thrill me either (probably a joke there somewhere). This to me point to laziness/fitness levels or confidence.

I don't know whether PB has lost the dressing room or not, but his constant flirting/whoring himself about over the summer has alienated him with some fans (me included) and my thoughts are he probably will not turn it round, and the next 6 games will seal his destiny.

Hope to be proved wrong though!

UTB

Yes, those bad old days where we got promoted and up to 7th in League One.

It's just like those sad times where we beat the likes of Coventry City 3-0 and did the double over our local rivals in front of packed houses.

What worries me, is I think we mustn't get adrift from safety by too many points t
My viewpoint is that it's the static/non movement of forwards not giving the midfield anyone to pass to, that has been the problem for sometime. Mooney, when he does move gets caught off side, I'm afraid I haven't seen anything in Cox to thrill me either (probably a joke there somewhere). This to me point to laziness/fitness levels or confidence.
oo early in the season.

PB has a history of going on 'losing streaks' and can't/doesn't seem to have the ability to halt the slide.

Heads seem to drop too easily in both of our first games, we need a leader on the park, and I don't think that's AB.

IMHO Central defenders need to be at least 6'3" (both preferably) to give you most chance at the first ball at set pieces.

On to our midfielder not passing through the middle, or to wingers who need to beat a full back to cross.

I don't know whether PB has lost the dressing room or not, but his constant flirting/whoring himself about over the summer has alienated him with some fans (me included) and my thoughts are he probably will not turn it round, and the next 6 games will seal his destiny.

Hope to be proved wrong though!

UTB

Whilst there is some truth in that, i noticed in both games Cox and especially Williams ( albeit brief spells) made a number of telling runs and guess how many times the forward pass from midfield was made?. On Tuesday evening poor old Williams who takes a lot of stick on here, must have made 5 lung busting runs in 5 minutes creating significant space and pointing to where to play the ball, guess how many occasions the ball was played there? yep NIL. I saw the lad visibly droop in disgust. He barely got a touch but his movement created space for others, but even then the ball went sideways

What must the players think when they read this “It’s the lack of quality and the depth of the squad which is the problem and it will be for the rest of August until we bring players in,”

The guy has zero motivational skills, constantly using criticism does not encourage sportspeople to try harder, it has the opposite effect in most cases.

Everyone needs a bollocking at times but Brown is just so one dimensional, we lose, he slates the players, never takes any responsibility. Looks to me like he is goading Ron and shifting the blame onto everyone except himself.

Whilst I know all about the end of last season:

THIS IS THE 2016/17 SEASON.

The league Cup has rarely even registered on a Southend United season in recent years.
We have played 1 out of 46 League games.

Is it not just a fraction too early for all this?

Bentley and Payne have not been sold on, we will get a sell on fee when they move on to the next club.

We will get a fee from tribunal which I doubt will be anywhere near a million for both, the sell ons and addons will come much later. We may only get half a million up front for both and we may or may not get bigger amounts depending on what the add ons are, and the biggest one is normally a sell on fee.

I would refer you to the published minutes from the last Trust Liaison Meeting with SK where the following was stated about Jack, which, I have assumed to mean money has changed hands:

"SK advised that the situation with regard to Jack’s move to Huddersfield Town has been resolved to the Club’s satisfaction."

The league Cup has rarely even registered on a Southend United season in recent years.

Maybe
Maybe not.

Interesting, or not, that Ron felt the need for a special meeting with PB after the first tonking and 2nd half no show against Gills - Ron obviously didn't have doubts that it was too early.
And after the 2nd tonking PB didn't think it wasn't too early to get the players back in early for a re run and de-brief.
Good for both of them in recognising that there ARE issues rather than accepting the poor performances with a shrug and "early days" ostrich/sand reaction.

Yes, those bad old days where we got promoted and up to 7th in League One.

It's just like those sad times where we beat the likes of Coventry City 3-0 and did the double over our local rivals in front of packed houses.

A few seasons later Col U. reversed that!

We was discussing this on Tuesday ,do you think now that we have a reputation amongst other clubs and agents that it's not a good idea to come here ,it seems to me the only players we seem to get now are ones that have been here before and players that no one wants to touch with a barge pole

To echo that, here is a comment made by a Preston fan regarding Brown in 2011:

"Yet again we appear to have landed ourselves with a manager who's spectacularly failing to get anything close to the best out of the players.

When I watched them against Rochdale last week, there was hardly any running off the ball; passion or hunger and this again seems to be happening at Bury.

It's all very, very sad."

All seems very familiar

So you must feel that PB should not be criticising his players as it is only one league game? He dishes it out and should expect to receive it.

It is only one league and one cup game but the thing that worries is that we have had a summer break and personnel change but nothing appears different. We know the results during the second half of last season were abysmal and history but it's history you learn from and if you keep making the same mistakes it does not augur well.

PB cannot, CANNOT, set up the attacking element of a team and that has been true throughout his managerial career. Check out his previous clubs and goal scorers are as visible as work at FF. Relying on a tight defence is clearly a one dimensional option that is blown out of the water as soon as a goal is conceded. He does not have the nous for a plan B that involves goals to surmount the deficit.

Relying on a tight defence is clearly a one dimensional option that is blown out of the water as soon as a goal is conceded. He does not have the nous for a plan B that involves goals to surmount the deficit.

It is a team game AND I agree with your post.

AND part of that TEAM, be it GC, Adam or a player, they need to also have a few ideas for what may work. I don't know if suggestions are being made or if PB is dictatorial and won't hear them.

When ALL keep saying change has been needed for a long while then maybe actions are needed not talk.:'(

It is a team game AND I agree with your post.

AND part of that TEAM, be it GC, Adam or a player, they need to also have a few ideas for what may work. I don't know if suggestions are being made or if PB is dictatorial and won't hear them.

When ALL keep saying change has been needed for a long while then maybe actions are needed not talk.:'(

Who exactly is ALL......The same people who wanted Brown out the moment he arrived.

PB's win ratio is higher here than at any other club, with two in every three games not ending in defeat.

I'd say he was doing OK and, though a few tweaks here and there are needed, we still have a decent side for this level and we'll start winning again soon.

Who exactly is ALL......The same people who wanted Brown out the moment he arrived.

Fair point and my post was a bit ambiguous; when I used CHANGE I ought to have clarified with "change of game plan/tactics.......................FWIW I don't believe PB's time here has run out but I do think he needs to make some CHANGES.
I am sure ALL do not want Brown out however I am fairly confident that ALL want a change, (for the better) from home game defeats or this winless run.

Back