• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

See Eric while you can. He's in cracking form currently. Blimmin' nice fella too - gave me his album (in proper vinyl) called 'The Donovan Of Trash'. This one's from his early days though his Mum wasn't too impressed apparently as she speaks French "tres bien" > [video=youtube;ChIK3JoGvHs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChIK3JoGvHs[/video]

Eric rhyming Zodiac with pac-a-mac in PZ last night. >[video=youtube;AgtpSHJ0laU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgtpSHJ0laU[/video]

On Saturday I caught New Model Army plus support at the 2600 capacity Manchester Academy.

For those of us who get there early, we were treated to a 30 minute solo set from T.V. Smith. I was hoping he would play the odd song from his days in the Adverts and Smith didn't disappoint, knocking out four of their classics including finishing on Gary Gilmore's Eyes, Bored Teenagers and One Cord Wonders. A great start to the evening!

Next up was the Scottish rockers Gun. I must confess I didn't hear much of their set as I was grabbing something to eat across the road, but they did do a very passable version of Word Up.

Third on were the alternative hip hop act Dub Pistols. I hadn't heard of them previously, I am not really down the kids you know, but I thoroughly enjoyed their infectious reggae and ska based rhythms. I suspect that a few people would have attended the gig just to see them.

At 21.00 New Model Army took to the stage. I am a big fan of their first couple of albums, unfortunately they only played two songs that I recognised. NMA seemed to have morphed from angry punksters into a run of the mill heavy rockers. There were plenty of people who appeared to enjoy the gig, but I thought their performance lacked a spark, and what I'd guess was their newer material just doesn't have the edginess of their earlier songs.

Still, I can't really complain as it was only £22.50 for nearly fours of live music. Seeing T.V. Smith and the Dub Pistols was a treat even if New Model Army were a little disappointing.

tvs001.jpgnma002.jpgnma001.jpgdp012.jpgdp001.jpg

Last edited:
i checked out that gig on setlist and i barely recognise anything. they seem to be really going for the new stuff as they have done the last few times i've seen them. bit of a pain but i can see bands would get bored of playing the same stuff over and over. there are some decent new songs but i tend to find them a bit samey. Angry Planet is a cracking tune and shows they've still got it but yeah, not surprised.
ta for the review, i'll check out dub pistols as i like all that stuff

not sure if i should post this on Gigs what makes you un/happy or not bother (no comments please).
I'm was going to see Family at the O2 Shepherd's Bush on Sunday. A Frank Matcham theatre I'd not been in (Frank Matcham was the foremost theatre architect in the Victorian and Edwardian period and retired and died in Westcliff opposite the Cliffs Pavilion - there is a plaque). Anyway old Frank let me down as the roof or balcolny is faslling down and the HSE have closed it down for major repairs. Clearly Elf and Safety gone mad.
The concert is rearranged for Monday night at the O2 Forum Kentish Town. I was working that day (boo) but have now managed to get the day off (hurrah).
This is a real nostalgia trip for me. I saw Family with the old friend I'm going with at the Dagenham Roundhouse must have been 40 years ago. We were looking for the entrance when the band walked past. I said, "hey It's Roger Chapman (the lead singer)" and he said "hello lads". Little things eh.

A few pics from Anthrax and Slayer at the Brixton Academy last week. I was on the barrier for Anthrax, but it was a bit too mental so I moved about half way back for Slayer...

P1510501.jpg P1510681.jpg P1510814.jpg P1510843.jpg P1520193.jpg

Going to seee Progressive Thrash band Vektor tonight at the Camden Underworld.

[video=youtube;qFEQNF-Lh-E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFEQNF-Lh-E[/video]

Another sell out gig for Mrs Grumpy at Devoran Parish Church - the marvellous Paul Downes and Phil Beer reunion tour - who despite both suffering with colds brought the house down :happy:

Family at Kentish Town 02 Forum last night. Great 30s cinema virtually unspoilt apart from the seats. All the original plaster work and mosaics.
The lead singer of family Roger Chaspman is 73. Bugger me. They were of course brilliant. I last saw them at Dagenham Roundhouse in about 1971. Looking at the acts appearing at the Roundhouse it includes Led Zeppelin and Howlin Wolf.!!!
For all you youngsters this is what Family were like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yraSKV6zSE

Saw the fantastic A Winged Victory for the Sullen last night in a cold church in Salford. Fantastic gig and great way to finish the year.

****** photos:

DhGT3AP.jpg

aPMztz1.jpg

Saw the wonderful Carlos Nuñez at the Palau De La Musica last night.

Excellent gig to finish the year on.Host of special guests including Paddy Maloney,a Scotts band and Irish dancers.

Great night of celtic music.

The Tubes are playing Holmfirth in October. I am very tempted to go to this one.

[video=youtube;FFltXDMQsQQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFltXDMQsQQ[/video]

Back