• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hawklords - Warehouse23, Wakefield

Formed in 2011, the Hawklords currently have three ex Hawkwind members Harvey Bainbridge, Jerry Richards and Ron Tree in their ranks. But this isn't just a tribute band as so far they have recorded two albums of original material. Their set list is a mixture of classic Hawkwind songs and their own stuff.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the gig, but I was pleasantly surprised by quality of the non Hawkwind music.

Despite a sparse crowd of around 70 people, the Hawklords played a near two hour set with plenty of enthusiasm and gusto when they could have easily have coasted through the gig. The only low point was half way through when the rest of the band sat down to let Harvey Bainbridge fiddle with his synths for a while. Still, it gave me an opportunity to have a fag and get a pint.

A very good gig and I'd certainly consider seeing them again.

P1010693.jpgP1010716.jpgP1010724.jpgP1010728.jpgP1010735.jpg

Booked a ticket for Peter Hook's October concert here last night.:thumbsup:

haven't seen Hooky on his ownso looking forward to that . Have seen New Order with and without Hooky (and Gillian thinking about it) . Its not the same without him, there is no denying that - but the band is still my favorite ever band so I will still love it

Peter Hook was sensational last night.
Sorry- bit slow here
Barna what did you think?
CCCsiders- completely agree , was right at the front - absolutely amazing (so annoyed I missed him last year). I am also going to watch New Order In November same as you. Third time seeing them at Brixton- once with Hooky, once without - its not the same thing without him . The Chinnerys GIG felt 'special' I don't think Brixton will match it

Graham Parker & the Rumour at the Picturedrome in Holmfirth. A great gig, with a great atmosphere in what was one of their last ever gigs as a band. The music was good no nonsense rock played without anyone showing off and they were on stage for a 105 minutes. Although I only recognised snatches of songs, I had a great night. I can't believe Parker will stop gigging, as he seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself on stage. Maybe he has made enough money and wants to retire gracefully.

Echo & the Bunnymen at Warehouse 23 in Wakefield. I was bit underwhelmed by this gig. The Bunnymen were nowhere near as good as they were at the Picturedrome last December. Maybe it was the venue, I have seen bands here before but I thought the sound was poor last night. It was absolutely packed in there and maybe E&TB are still just too big for this size of venue.

What's the venue like? It pulls a few good gigs and been meaning to mooch up there from Sheffield.

Sorry- bit slow here
Barna what did you think?
CCCsiders- completely agree , was right at the front - absolutely amazing (so annoyed I missed him last year). I am also going to watch New Order In November same as you. Third time seeing them at Brixton- once with Hooky, once without - its not the same thing without him . The Chinnerys GIG felt 'special' I don't think Brixton will match it

I went because I really like (some of) Joy Division's stuff and never got the chance to see them live.Whie I thought PH's guitar playing was impressive, his vocals didn't really cut it for me.

The Razz is a great place to see a band though and I was probably in a minority of one.

(Edit).Reading Elvis Costello's autobiography atm.

EC reckons he was never much of a fan of the Manchester bands, apart from " a few singles by The Buzzcocks,Joy Division and The Smiths."

That's a bit harsh on The Smiths,IMO.Otherwise I make him right.

Last edited:
Saw Foals at Rock City last night. I enjoy Foals but not a mega fan, but was really impressed. A fantastic 75 minute set (IMO the optimal length) with no filler. Surprisingly loud and heavy at times. Ended with Yannis launching himself from the Rock City balcony, and a circle-pit engulfing the whole of the lower standing area. I'm getting too old for those kinds of shenanigans, but great fun.

[video=youtube;5TkFTha99Co]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TkFTha99Co[/video]

Saw Foals at Rock City last night. I enjoy Foals but not a mega fan, but was really impressed. A fantastic 75 minute set (IMO the optimal length) with no filler. Surprisingly loud and heavy at times. Ended with Yannis launching himself from the Rock City balcony, and a circle-pit engulfing the whole of the lower standing area. I'm getting too old for those kinds of shenanigans, but great fun.

[video=youtube;5TkFTha99Co]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TkFTha99Co[/video]

Always enjoy Foals live shows, always a real good atmosphere

Saw The Zombies play here again last night at the Bikini-5 years after their debut here at The Apolo 2.Excellent gig.

The new album tracks from Still Got that Hunger after all these years sounded good too.

Last edited:
Playing in PZ in a couple of weeks. His new album 'amERICa' is a cracker too. [video=youtube;6L5pLC3J94c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L5pLC3J94c[/video]

Saw the normally excellent Paquito D'Riverera with the OSV at the Palau earlier tonight.

While I liked his Jazz meets the Classics album I would have preferred to hear a bit more of him playing tenor sax.rather than just the clarinet.

Disappointing for me but my wife really liked it.

Personally, I can do without all the Gerswhin stuff, even if it's played by a good,full orchestra.

Psychic TV - surprisingly tuneful, I was expecting two hours of psychedelic feedback and some moaning. Genesis has let himself go and didn't look like he had boobs let alone specifically crafted boobs. And they did a Frank Sidebottom cover.

That is as obscure as it gets - man/woman who had to leave the country as Special Branch hounded him for heading up a cult plays song penned by dead man famous for papier-mâché head that was used in a film where the papier-mâché head wearer puts on a American accent rather than a nasally northern accent despite the world famous actor being unrecognisable because he is wearing a papier-mâché head and hiding his Northern Irish accent.

Bit off topic there, PTV - surprisingly good.

Mercury Rev at Oval Space tomorrow.

Electronic whiz kid(-ult) Alien at Chalkwell Park Rooms on Thursday.

off to see Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats on Thursday.
Defo going New Model Army on the 11th.
Thinking about Accept on the 7th but Gamma Ray on the 8th clashes with Millwall in the JPT

Back