• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great record 'Bewilderbeast', one of my faves of the whole decade. Did he behave himself? I see he's been a little unpredictable again at a few recent live shows.

Good as gold. Bit of chat with the audience - not loads - but generally just got on with it. Real forgotten gem of the 2000s that album. The strings at the start of 'The Shining' get me every time.

Went to see the mighty Ben Folds last night at none other that the Royal Opera House. Immense performance with the usual stuff from Mr Folds, conducting the audience, making up songs, rambling, solo filled takes on old classics and some new material. We were up in the third tier right in the middle and when the whole audience was singing in harmony (whilst being conducted) during "Not the same" the sound was absolutely incredible, jaw-droppingly good. Even if you're not a particular fan, I'd recommend going to see him at any opportunity, brilliant show.

Badly Drawn Boy at The Barbican a couple of weeks back. First part of the gig saw him perform 'Hour Of The Bewilderbeast' in its entirety. That has long been a special album for me, taking me back to when I first started living in London. Second part of the gig was full of 'crowd pleasers'.

Excellent.

You know what, haven't listened to that album in years. Have it on now. Thanks for the reminder. It's a truly beautiful record.

Last night I went to see King Crimson at The Lowry in Manchester. Unfortunately, there are no pics as there was a very strict no camera policy in force.

Crimson's current line up consists of not one, not two, but three drummers, although one also doubles up on a Mellotron. And it worked!

Fripp sits on his stool to the far right of the stage with his headphones on playing his guitar, sometimes he seemed to stop and just sit there admiring his band and the show. Indeed, he hardly seemed to play a note during In the Court of the Crimson King.

I don't know if this will be their final ever tour, but many oldies that hadn't been in the set list for many a year were performed. We were treated to Larks Tongue in Aspic, Epitaph, Pictures of a City, The Letters, Easy Money, Another Red Nightmare and my favourite Starless before finishing on 21st Century Schizoid Man, and yes they do the breaks in the music to perfection.

KC do a fair few instrumentals, but have had two decent vocalists in Gregg Lake and John Wetton in the past. The current incumbent, Jakko Kakszyk is as good as both of them.

No one sounds quite like King Crimson, and at times I was awestruck at the music being played in front me, and I just sat there wondering who was playing which bit. An amazing show, worth every penny of the £65 ticket price.

All together now - Cat's foot iron claw, Neuro-surgeons scream for more

A busy month of gigs in October:

1st: Peter Hook, Chinnery's
2nd: PIL, Shepherd's Bush Empire
3rd: Run Over Dogs, Asylum Chelmsford
10th: Jah Wobble, Half Moon Putney
30th: Patti Smith, Roundhouse

Crosby, Stills & Nash

The Motorpoint Arena has a capacity of 5,000 and although tickets were available at the box office, I would guess there was less then 500 empty seats by the time CS&N took the stage. They did two, one hour sets. The first seemed to consist mostly of older material, whereas the second was more recent songs. I thoroughly enjoyed the concert even though I only recognised a few songs. Stephen Stills is a much better lead guitarist than I thought he would be and their later material seemed a bit heavier than their earlier folky stuff. But it was still a very good gig.

The only slight criticism I had was that at the start of the second half, each had a solo slot. Stills did a Dylan song, Nash did something on his own and Crosby played a couple of tracks from his latest album. In my opinion, it was a bit like treading water for 20 minutes or so.

Oh, and the Motorpoint staff do like to shout at people in the smoking area.

csn03.jpgcsn15.jpgcsn17.jpgcsn19.jpgcsn20.jpg

Squeeze and Dr John Cooper Clarke 10th October, Cliffs Pavilion. All seats gone, still got standing only if you're capable, £32.50. I was too late for seats and too knackered to stand so we will miss this, which is a shame.

Crosby, Stills & Nash

The Motorpoint Arena has a capacity of 5,000 and although tickets were available at the box office, I would guess there was less then 500 empty seats by the time CS&N took the stage. They did two, one hour sets. The first seemed to consist mostly of older material, whereas the second was more recent songs. I thoroughly enjoyed the concert even though I only recognised a few songs. Stephen Stills is a much better lead guitarist than I thought he would be and their later material seemed a bit heavier than their earlier folky stuff. But it was still a very good gig.

The only slight criticism I had was that at the start of the second half, each had a solo slot. Stills did a Dylan song, Nash did something on his own and Crosby played a couple of tracks from his latest album. In my opinion, it was a bit like treading water for 20 minutes or so.

Oh, and the Motorpoint staff do like to shout at people in the smoking area.

View attachment 3687View attachment 3688View attachment 3689View attachment 3690View attachment 3691

A good gig and good photos, but looking at them does provoke mortality discussions.

A good gig and good photos, but looking at them does provoke mortality discussions.

Thanks RHB. All are in their 70s now, and they did make a couple jokes about Crosby's memory.

I suppose there are a few reasons for touring at that age. You are fit and healthy and enjoying it, or you still need the money.

And of course, people want to see them just one more time before they retire or die!

Thanks RHB. All are in their 70s now, and they did make a couple jokes about Crosby's memory.

I suppose there are a few reasons for touring at that age. You are fit and healthy and enjoying it, or you still need the money.

And of course, people want to see them just one more time before they retire or die!

Very true, or in my case with Squeeze - Up the junction!

Went to the Royal Albert Hall to see Art Garfunkel on Monday & what voice.

Considering he lost the ability to sing four years ago, his voice was so pure a& fitting for such a great venue. He sang a number of different song including a Randy Newman song and a Jewish religious song (briefly) He also sang with his son, Arthur junior & he has an incredible voice. The pair sang a couple of Everley Brothers songs & did them justice.

It was the Simon and Garfunkel songs people had come to and he didn't disappoint. Bridge Over Troubled Water was one of the best songs I heard live. Goosebumps everywhere.

Squeeze and Dr John Cooper Clarke 10th October, Cliffs Pavilion. All seats gone, still got standing only if you're capable, £32.50. I was too late for seats and too knackered to stand so we will miss this, which is a shame.

It must be the better part of 13 years since I saw Squeeze who were supporting Blondie at The Docklands Arena. Squeeze were excellent, better than Blondie and they weren't exactly shabby. Same as you, a standing ticket would kill my back so I'll have to swerve that one as well.

Went to see Counting Crows in Seattle on Saturday. My wife's favourite band, but certainly not my cup of tea. They are very good live, and I can appreciate quality musicianship when I see it. The support act, Citizen Cope, was absolutely gash.

Back