• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

John Lydon on great form with PIL at Shepherd's Bush Empire on Friday night. Some great new stuff as well as the old.

Southend, I ****ing love Southend me. Band of Holy Joy, I ****ing love the Band of Holy Joy me.

Yeah I'm heading back to Surrey at 11 and that means train, tube, tube to the end of the northern line, bus, but Southend and BOHJ combined always produces something. Man love from Johny Brown, blind date with a man from Shrimperzone, old friends of close to 30 years standing, Hacker from support band Morton Valence who I had to tell that if I was a gay man or a straight woman I would jump his bones (their set was dark, very good, but dark). The ever gorgeous Michelle who when in Marnie gave me the opportunity to phone John Peel and ask if he got the single in the post ( and he played it). A story about Fugazi carrying the coffin of the head of SRD and another of seeing Fugazi offshoot the Evens in what was thought to be an alcohol free straight edge venue that turned out to be the Salvation Army HQ. A man in a Conflict T shirt who I told I used to work for them and I referred to band member Colin as Colinflict just once before being made very aware that joke was allowed just once (the tales of them ramming butcher vans off motorways in their tour bus didn't even warrant a mention). Carrier Bag Man who has been taking photos at Essex gigs (and for me he = near fights with Nazi skinheads, advice to stick around for some electronic act called Orbital, walks through Docklands with a historical running commentary on the buildings, and years later my kids tugging at my sleeves for me to stop talking to that Danny Glover lookalike (no he doesn't, they have just aged in a similar style)) being one of the photographers making up a good 20% of the audience. The fact that drummer Bill accosted me away at Dagenham where he was doing security, and bumping into singer Johny less than a week ago at Victoria station and trying to kidnap me to make me go to a festival on the South Coast (when do you ever bump into anyone in Central London?). The fact that the woman behind the bar will pull you a pint, serve you vegan fish and chips (tasted really fishy - proper freaked me out), do the mixing desk and last time I was there take to the drum kit for an Animal from the Muppets session. And all the while Estuary radio station Ship Full of Bombs is airing upstairs and the CEO(!!) is telling me of the ins and outs of the radio world. And The Band of Holy Joy - my love of of 25+ years, always full of passion and energy and **** you / love you attitude, fluid, reliable, addictive, ****ed up, unpredictable, the best band to record for Rough Trade and I've said it before but the new keyboard guy is completely tapping into the spirit of Joe Meek (where was his big saxaphone moment? In fact where was seven year Sean? Where the **** was seven year Sean?). Paddy Considine tweeted that Adam Ant is playing 'Kings of the Wild Frontier' live so I'm listening to that as far as Upminster then I'll inevitably switch to BOHJ 'More Tales From The City' then 'Manic, Magic, Majestic' and keep going for a few days of trains till I reach 'The Land of Holy Joy'.
Southend, I ****ing love Southend me. Band of Holy Joy, I ****ing love the Band of Holy Joy me.

Yeah I'm heading back to Surrey at 11 and that means train, tube, tube to the end of the northern line, bus, but Southend and BOHJ combined always produces something. Man love from Johny Brown, blind date with a man from Shrimperzone, old friends of close to 30 years standing, Hacker from support band Morton Valence who I had to tell that if I was a gay man or a straight woman I would jump his bones (their set was dark, very good, but dark). The ever gorgeous Michelle who when in Marnie gave me the opportunity to phone John Peel and ask if he got the single in the post ( and he played it). A story about Fugazi carrying the coffin of the head of SRD and another of seeing Fugazi offshoot the Evens in what was thought to be an alcohol free straight edge venue that turned out to be the Salvation Army HQ. A man in a Conflict T shirt who I told I used to work for them and I referred to band member Colin as Colinflict just once before being made very aware that joke was allowed just once (the tales of them ramming butcher vans off motorways in their tour bus didn't even warrant a mention). Carrier Bag Man who has been taking photos at Essex gigs (and for me he = near fights with Nazi skinheads, advice to stick around for some electronic act called Orbital, walks through Docklands with a historical running commentary on the buildings, and years later my kids tugging at my sleeves for me to stop talking to that Danny Glover lookalike (no he doesn't, they have just aged in a similar style)) being one of the photographers making up a good 20% of the audience. The fact that drummer Bill accosted me away at Dagenham where he was doing security, and bumping into singer Johny less than a week ago at Victoria station and trying to kidnap me to make me go to a festival on the South Coast (when do you ever bump into anyone in Central London?). The fact that the woman behind the bar will pull you a pint, serve you vegan fish and chips (tasted really fishy - proper freaked me out), do the mixing desk and last time I was there take to the drum kit for an Animal from the Muppets session. And all the while Estuary radio station Ship Full of Bombs is airing upstairs and the CEO(!!) is telling me of the ins and outs of the radio world. And The Band of Holy Joy - my love of of 25+ years, always full of passion and energy and **** you / love you attitude, fluid, reliable, addictive, ****ed up, unpredictable, the best band to record for Rough Trade and I've said it before but the new keyboard guy is completely tapping into the spirit of Joe Meek (where was his big saxaphone moment? In fact where was seven year Sean? Where the **** was seven year Sean?). Paddy Considine tweeted that Adam Ant is playing 'Kings of the Wild Frontier' live so I'm listening to that as far as Upminster then I'll inevitably switch to BOHJ 'More Tales From The City' then 'Manic, Magic, Majestic' and keep going for a few days of trains till I reach 'The Land of Holy Joy'.

Too much cheap whiz old boy?

Why do you get the train everywhere?

A pleasure to meet you Sir. What a fine night it was.

A pleasure to meet you Sir. What a fine night it was.
Likewise. Good to find kindred spirits. The Railway in particular and Southend in general is full of characters. Everyone in that room you felt had a story to tell and as guests into that space for the night Band of Holy Joy tap into that vibe as that has always been their reason to exist - telling stories.

That is both funny and sad at the same time,must make life hard especially with a family.
All the tests were when I was 17/18. They tick the boxes to say which section you failed on. I figured two more tests and I'd have all boxes ticked but it's expensive just to complete a collection.
Transport wise I'm in South London so it only holds me back for Tuesday night games up north and Boxing Day, other than that I can get to where I need to be. Slowly, and a great cost.
Mrs drives and as my Dad was at Fords for 40 years we get a chunky discount.

And so ends the me me me story. You did ask though....

All the tests were when I was 17/18. They tick the boxes to say which section you failed on. I figured two more tests and I'd have all boxes ticked but it's expensive just to complete a collection.
Transport wise I'm in South London so it only holds me back for Tuesday night games up north and Boxing Day, other than that I can get to where I need to be. Slowly, and a great cost.
Mrs drives and as my Dad was at Fords for 40 years we get a chunky discount.

And so ends the me me me story. You did ask though....
Tha

Thank you i did,.

Graham Parker & the Rumour at the Picturedrome in Holmfirth. A great gig, with a great atmosphere in what was one of their last ever gigs as a band. The music was good no nonsense rock played without anyone showing off and they were on stage for a 105 minutes. Although I only recognised snatches of songs, I had a great night. I can't believe Parker will stop gigging, as he seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself on stage. Maybe he has made enough money and wants to retire gracefully.

Echo & the Bunnymen at Warehouse 23 in Wakefield. I was bit underwhelmed by this gig. The Bunnymen were nowhere near as good as they were at the Picturedrome last December. Maybe it was the venue, I have seen bands here before but I thought the sound was poor last night. It was absolutely packed in there and maybe E&TB are still just too big for this size of venue.

Last edited:
Graham Parker & the Rumour at the Picturedrome in Holmfirth. A great gig, with a great atmosphere in what was one of their last ever gigs as a band. The music was good no nonsense rock played without anyone showing off and they were on stage for a 105 minutes. Although I only recognised snatches of songs, I had a great night. I can't believe Parker will stop gigging, as he seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself on stage. Maybe he has made enough money and wants to retire gracefully.

Echo & the Bunnymen at Warehouse 23 in Wakefield. I was bit underwhelmed by this gig. The Bunnymen were nowhere near as good as they were at the Picturedrome last December. Maybe it was the venue, I have seen bands here before but I thought the sound was poor last night. It was absolutely packed in there and maybe E&TB are still just too big for this size of venue.

Good to hear about GP and the boys and glad they didn't let you down. Pretty sure that GP will carry on as he does solo stuff as well as perform with other bands that he convenes every now and then. I think it's because the other guys in The Rumour have their own commitments too - the bassist works in a library up your way, coincidentally!

Back