• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Depressing to see some people on Twitter saying they might be tempted by a trip to the Amex. Utterly depressing. This is an attempt to get B teams into the league as a trojan horse, and fans going to the fixture against Brighton will legitimise B teams. I'm sure it won't be too long before we play Brighton's first team at the Amex. Just have some patience.

Same with some on our forum. Literally paying to watch our club(s) be insulted and demeaned beggars belief.

I'm sincerely hoping we break our all time lowest attendance record, which was 683 against Northampton on 13th March 1986 in the same competition.

No way will it be that high. Under 1,000. Surely. Some of our actual first-team fixtures in the JPT don't get more than 2,500 in the early rounds.

EDIT: Sorry, that was a reply to manor15

I don't ever predict the future with such certainty. If it's happened in other countries there's nothing to say 100% it won't happen here, regardless of what Scudamore says or even believes.

It happened in countries with massively different football cultures than England has.

The only way that I could see it happening in England is if the worst happens and suddenly a dozen or more English Clubs go bust. But people have been telling us that that will definitely happen for three decades now and it hasn't done.

Depressing to see some people on Twitter saying they might be tempted by a trip to the Amex. Utterly depressing. This is an attempt to get B teams into the league as a trojan horse, and fans going to the fixture against Brighton will legitimise B teams. .

No it isn't and no it won't. Jesus Christ.

It happened in countries with massively different football cultures than England has.

The only way that I could see it happening in England is if the worst happens and suddenly a dozen or more English Clubs go bust. But people have been telling us that that will definitely happen for three decades now and it hasn't done.

But now with the continual failure of the national team (especially after the embarrassment of losing to Iceland), I think there is more of a desire for it to happen, hence this shambolic mess of a competition.

No it isn't and no it won't. Jesus Christ.

Is that a direct quote from Jesus Christ? If so the Premier League should probably get him in as spokesperson since nobody believes anything Scudamore says.

Anyway if people want to do it as part of 'doing the 92' it doesn't count as it is not a full first-team fixture.

This is really hard morally. On the one hand, I can see why people would boycott this competition, it has real justification. However, I do feel that my role as a fan, is to give 100% to my team whenever, and whoever they play. We moan when a player doesn't give 100, so how can I as a fan, call myself a true fan, if I refuse to go to a game when my team is giving 100% for the badge. I am not giving 100% to the badge if I don't attend. If our club is playing a competitive match, shouldn't we support them no matter who we are playing. In my eyes, I couldn't give a monkeys who we are playing, it's Southend I care about.
As a side note, I'm actually on the fence about the whole thing, someone convince me either way please!

But it happened, and as you even say, it is possible it could happen here. By doing this we're making it more likely.

Anyway if people want to do it as part of 'doing the 92' it doesn't count as it is not a full first-team fixture.

Just because you have issues with the competition, that doesn't stop it being a full first team competitive fixture that a) counts toward "Doing the 92", and b) will deserve our support regardless of opponents and venue.

This is really hard morally. On the one hand, I can see why people would boycott this competition, it has real justification. However, I do feel that my role as a fan, is to give 100% to my team whenever, and whoever they play. We moan when a player doesn't give 100, so how can I as a fan, call myself a true fan, if I refuse to go to a game when my team is giving 100% for the badge. I am not giving 100% to the badge if I don't attend. If our club is playing a competitive match, shouldn't we support them no matter who we are playing. In my eyes, I couldn't give a monkeys who we are playing, it's Southend I care about.
As a side note, I'm actually on the fence about the whole thing, someone convince me either way please!

This could be the start when Chelsea/Tottenham/Arsenal/Man Utd B team replace Southend United in the league and our club goes out of business. Good enough?

Players are employed by the club. To justify their salary they should always give 100%. I'm a customer. Because of loyalty I won't choose another club, but I reserve the right to pick and choose which games I attend.

But it happened, and as you even say, it is possible it could happen here. By doing this we're making it more likely.

The reality is that, if the PL clubs want to have their U21s playing competitively they'll find a way of doing it. In the end they could just stand in front of the L1 and L2 waving thick bunches of banknotes and they'll get their way.

I understand your view but you need to look at the bigger picture. It would harm Southend in the long run if B teams were introduced into the football pyramid. The Football League have not ruled this out. The very fact B teams are being allowed here legitimises them and could be deemed to be the first step for them to be introduced into the pyramid. Some don't believe that will happen, I believe it is a slim possibility. This is a pilot scheme. If those games vs B teams have pitifully low attendances, it might force the authorities to question the validity of these B teams and hopefully will mean they are consigned to history for good.

So by not going to support your club for one game, you could be helping to save it in the long run. That's my view.

Taking Spain as an example, it is a fundamental part of their football culture. E.g. Real Madrid Castilla have been playing in the Spanish 'pyramid' since 1949, almost as long as it has existed.

Again, not to say it's not possible here, but culturally we're a long way from some of those footballing nations where it is the norm.

Back