• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No but it can't be a full first team fixture if only one of the teams is a first team, surely?

Depends how 'official' the status of the B teams is.

Will the fixture list say Southend United v Brighton and Hove Albion or Southend United v Brighton and Hove Albion 'B'?

In practical terms, sides have been sending out effective 'B' teams in the early rounds of cup competitions for years.

The Rules of the 92 Club state:-

"Membership is only open to supporters who have already attended a first-team competitive fixture played at the current ground of each of the ninety-two clubs of the Premier League, Championship, League 1 and League 2"

However, it then says.... "(2) Any recognised competition normally entered by Football/Premier League Clubs at first-team level may be included. Friendly matches do not count."

So, there is an argument that a trip to the Amex will count towards the 92 because of clause 2. I suspect the rules will need to be updated to take into consideration this cluster**** of a competition.

I am less worried about the involvement of B teams in the League than some. There is little benefit for West Ham B to being playing the likes of Morecambe and Accrington. They will learn little to nothing. They only benefit when they're playing Arsenal B or Chelsea B when its like v like. And the Premier League clubs know this.​

The Rules of the 92 Club state:-

"Membership is only open to supporters who have already attended a first-team competitive fixture played at the current ground of each of the ninety-two clubs of the Premier League, Championship, League 1 and League 2"

Guessing that counts out my trip to Villa Park to see Canvey in the FA Trophy Final.

Well **** 'em. I'm having it.​

Depends how 'official' the status of the B teams is.

Will the fixture list say Southend United v Brighton and Hove Albion or Southend United v Brighton and Hove Albion 'B'?

In practical terms, sides have been sending out effective 'B' teams in the early rounds of cup competitions for years.

Hopefully it will say Southend XI vs BHA B.

The XI denoting two things:

1. That we've put out a reserve side.
2. The attendance!

I can see many academy teams playing their games at alternative nearby non league venues.
According to the competition rules they can't, it has to be the club's first team ground.

BUT West Ham have already been given special dispensation to play all group games away, and Chelsea have been allowed to change fixture dates to suit them, so it wouldn't be surprising to see more sides change the venue.

Are we allowed to play our U21s?

No, we can only make a maximum of six changes from the previous league game, so I understand.

Opportunity to play some fringe players early in the season though, especially the Brighton B game.

Sums up the credibility of the tournament.....a complete and utter farce!

Sorry..... for me it sums up the lack of credibility of Steve Kavanagh too. Took the bribe unfortunately (or should I say was persuaded to agree to this) and now look at the fiasco that has evolved.
I certainly won't be bothering to drive 130 miles each way for this competition - and yes I did come down last year for the home games.

I will wish Southend well in this competition but I'm not going to any of them. I still think this is a backdoor route to Premier League B teams in the Football League.

One thing I would say is that the group initiative is sensible to try and renew interest in the competition. However, rather than ruining it with bigger club academies they should have invited the top 10 or most of the National League (Football Conference) instead. We'd then get a feel for how competitive that league is and the National League sides could gauge their readiness for a promotion push for the EFL 2.

Well were in it for the time being, and I suppose looking at our group, on the plus side, what with the increased prize money of £10,000 for each group match win, we stand a good chance of making a few quid.

I will wish Southend well in this competition but I'm not going to any of them. I still think this is a backdoor route to Premier League B teams in the Football League.

One thing I would say is that the group initiative is sensible to try and renew interest in the competition. However, rather than ruining it with bigger club academies they should have invited the top 10 or most of the National League (Football Conference) instead. We'd then get a feel for how competitive that league is and the National League sides could gauge their readiness for a promotion push for the EFL 2.

I am obviously completely opposed to this revamp but I can see why clubs voted for it, the competition is dying and nobody wants to see that. The way they have gone about it is just atrocious.

I like the Conference clubs idea, I really do. But haven't they tried that before? Early 2000s? I could be wrong. Personally I'd be far more interested in a game against Woking or Braintree than Arsenal B.

I like the Conference clubs idea, I really do. But haven't they tried that before? Early 2000s? I could be wrong. Personally I'd be far more interested in a game against Woking or Braintree than Arsenal B.

I think you may be right Jai but I think National League/Conference football has come on leaps and bounds in the last 16 years. The traditional non league clubs are in general better run than Football League clubs and personally I would definitely pay to see how we'd get on against Braintree, Woking or FGR. If this competition needs a shot in the arm which it did a group stage with National League cups would have certainly been preferable!

It happened in countries with massively different football cultures than England has.

The only way that I could see it happening in England is if the worst happens and suddenly a dozen or more English Clubs go bust. But people have been telling us that that will definitely happen for three decades now and it hasn't done.

No it isn't and no it won't. Jesus Christ.

So if the Premier league offered all League one and league two teams £20 million each to allow B teams in are you still sure everyone would vote NO ?

This isn's as far fetched as it sounds, the EPL has more money that it kows what to do with . If a PL club believed that B teams would result in a new star coming through then a one off £20million investment would be absolute peannuts.

Yes, I know the FL changed their rules on this so that it now requires a 90% (i think) agreement to change rather than a majority, but they can change the rules back with, I believe a Majority vote. If that is correct it makes the 90% bit meaningless

Never is a long long time, 10 years ago would you ahve beleived that we might be getting a 5th league ,next year its actually being voted on !
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36335384

No, we can only make a maximum of six changes from the previous league game, so I understand.

Opportunity to play some fringe players early in the season though, especially the Brighton B game.

Ron won't allow it as the cup has made us some serious money. PB has to put out a strong team

I am obviously completely opposed to this revamp but I can see why clubs voted for it, the competition is dying and nobody wants to see that. The way they have gone about it is just atrocious.

You're not wrong. We played Stevenage - then a non-league side - in 2001. Stuffed them 4-1. Have some of THAT you new town no-marks!

Back