• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sorry..... for me it sums up the lack of credibility of Steve Kavanagh too. Took the bribe unfortunately (or should I say was persuaded to agree to this) and now look at the fiasco that has evolved.
I certainly won't be bothering to drive 130 miles each way for this competition - and yes I did come down last year for the home games.

Well were in it for the time being, and I suppose looking at our group, on the plus side, what with the increased prize money of £10,000 for each group match win, we stand a good chance of making a few quid.

I dont think people understand how much money we are going to be getting , it isnt the prize money, its the increase in soliarity payments that was the carrot (league one £360,000 to £645,000) , the same carrot as the EPL used to force through the EPPL system, the same carrot as the EPL 'could' use to try and get us to agree to B teams

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/03/19/will-premier-league-b-team-plans-rise-from-the-ashes/

i posted this on another thread
this website is very good
http://www.againstleague3.co.uk/faq-...rophy-changes/

note the below Why did the clubs vote for such an unpopular measure?

There are a couple of reasons for this.
The JPT / EFL Trophy is not universally popular with fans. It struggled with attendances (although attendances were not dropping – just consistently low) and was low in the priorities of many clubs who played in it. The justification of many clubs who EFL forced it to a vote.
If the Clubs and League think the trophy is dying, it’s dying because fans aren’t interested and aren’t attending. Supporters were totally ignored with regards to making changes in the competition when they were the ones who could tell clubs how best to revitalise it.
Clubs also receive a funding boost from The Premier League via increased “solidarity” payments. Every League 1 club will receive increased payments from £360k to £645k each, while League 2 payments have gone up from £240k to £430k for each club.

This page is particually interesting and 'proves' the EPL is lying (IMO). Basically The EPL U21 cat one teams are invited, but not Championship teams with Cat one teams . If this is all about EPPP then why are they not invited to join in the same way as the Prem teams?

http://www.againstleague3.co.uk/new-...ntradict-eppp/

Terrible, shame on the club for voting for this aswell.

Hopefully a full boycott up and down the country will make the twongs see sense, doube it though.

Scudamore is now like the Bernie Ecclestone of football with his obsession for money and will promote what he regards as being 'his' Premier League at all costs. He certainly couldn't care a t*ss about clubs in the lower leagues nor fans at any of the 92 clubs and if he can (eventually) wangle Premier clubs' U21 sides into the ELF league system and can make money from doing so you can be sure that he'll get the FA and (E)FL ******* up to him in tandem. Arrogant and egotistical beyond belief, the sport is secondary to his financial greed more a means to an end.

Good spot.

So much for the regional groups being inducted to create a more local derby interest to increase attendance, and for the sake of the fans, so that they don't have to travel long mid week journey's.

In what's been laughably called a "Regional Draw" I've noticed that Cheltenham have been drawn in the same group with Blackpool, which is hardly around the corner either (at least an 8 hour journey there and back).
As well Plymouth who have to travel to AFC Wimbledon (which is about a 430 mile round trip).

We got lucky in hindsight, with our only group away game being a trip to Stevenage.

Last edited:
So if the Premier league offered all League one and league two teams £20 million each to allow B teams in are you still sure everyone would vote NO ?

This isn's as far fetched as it sounds, the EPL has more money that it kows what to do with . If a PL club believed that B teams would result in a new star coming through then a one off £20million investment would be absolute peannuts.

Yes, I know the FL changed their rules on this so that it now requires a 90% (i think) agreement to change rather than a majority, but they can change the rules back with, I believe a Majority vote. If that is correct it makes the 90% bit meaningless

Never is a long long time, 10 years ago would you ahve beleived that we might be getting a 5th league ,next year its actually being voted on !
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36335384

Why £20m? Why not £10m or £50m? It is pie in the sky stuff.

I understand the point that you're making but if the Premier League thought that this was the road to B teams then they wouldn't be coming out and giving cast-iron guarantees that B teams in the League won't happen and they'd be moving Heaven and Earth to make this a success which means Manchester United and Arsenal, not Brighton and Derby.

It's the Football League who is gaining here, it's the Football League who wants this to succeed.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm as opposed to B Teams in the League as anyone but I see this as what this is and also I'm very much of the opinion that even if there was a strong desire for B Teams it won't get anywhere because English football refuses to look at the bigger picture anyway. It's all about short term thinking and what is best for my club today. With that environment, B teams in the League are (thankfully) so unrealistic that I don't think its worth anyone losing sleep over the fact that we're going to be playing Brighton's reserves in a game that no one will watch.

Why £20m? Why not £10m of £50m? It is pie in the sky stuff.

I understand the point that you're making but if the Premier League thought that this was the road to B teams then they wouldn't be coming out and giving cast-iron guarantees that B teams in the League won't happen and they'd be moving Heaven and Earth to make this a success which means Manchester United and Arsenal, not Brighton and Derby.

It's the Football League who is gaining here, it's the Football League who wants this to succeed.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm as opposed to B Teams in the League as anyone but I see this as what this is and also I'm very much of the opinion that even if there was a strong desire for B Teams it won't get anywhere because English football refuses to look at the bigger picture anyway. It's all about short term thinking and what is best for my club today. With that environment, B teams in the League are (thankfully) so unrealistic that I don't think its worth anyone losing sleep over the fact that we're going to be playing Brighton's reserves in a game that no one will watch.

Yes they would. It suits them to let everyone think it won't happen. They may even believe that themselves, but at some point in the future this will be revisited, and the fact that we've entertained the idea of playing these clubs in competitive matches can easily be used to give them credibility.

Absolute guff. It's conspiracy theory nonsense and a real case of cutting our own nose off to spite our faces. I'd hate to be so paranoid all the time.

No wonder English football never moves forward.

I respectfully disagree. I think there's a lot of very good intentions here from people who care about our Club but I think the fears are just baseless. Unfortunately it will be latched onto by those who have been 'boycotting' the early rounds of this tournament for years judging by our attendances and for those I have less respect.

Last edited:
Due to the EFL Trophy fixture changes to accommodate the games being played during the international breaks and to tie in with the EFL Cup, If we make it through to just the 3rd round, we will have a busier Xmas / New year period than normal, having to play 6 games in just two and a half weeks.

26/12 - Wimbledon
31/12 - Charlton
02/01 - Swindon
07/01 - Peterborough
10/01 - EFL TROPHY
14/01 - Rochdale

In comparison, we played 5 games in 3 weeks over the same period last season, and that certainly took it's toll points wise (although I do seem to recall a lovely boxing day win over some Sunday league outfit, who's name eludes me) :smile:

Steve Kavanagh has just been on 5 Live and has put across a very good case for the trophy but has got reservations for the future of it. He has said that the goal posts were moved after the vote took place.

A very good and a balanced interview. Another good interview in the name of Southend United.:thumbsup:

Why £20m? Why not £10m or £50m? It is pie in the sky stuff.

Absolute guff. It's conspiracy theory nonsense and a real case of cutting our own nose off to spite our faces. I'd hate to be so paranoid all the time.

No wonder English football never moves forward.

I respectfully disagree.

Quite right why £20 million , the EPL can affford far more and will pay it if they think its in their interests. They have already paid for the FL trophy and for EPPL - what's different here?

regarding conspiracy therories- are you being serious? how on earth is it conspiracy theroy stuff when the FA and the EPL is ON RECORD for saying that they are looking at it ! If its conspiracy theorywhy did the FL change its rules to prevent it happening(even though the protections is flawed IMO). Are you saying that all of the chairmen and chief execs of the L1 and L2 are paranoid as well. Thats what you are effectively saying. Do you think the vote next year for 5 leagues is a conspiracy theroy as well?

I don't think B teams will happen either , but I dont think it will happen becasue of what is happening now in terms of the bad feeling this has created. If we as clubs and supporters do not make a noise now then the chances of B teams in the league at some point in the future is more likley . Even if that only makes it from a 1% chance to a 2% chance I would rather we reduced the chances now

English football doesn't move forward because the EPL care about the EPL , not English football and the FA won't stand up to them .

Kavanagh not happy

Steve Kavanagh, chief executive at Southend United, has said that today's EFL Trophy draw has "left a bad taste in the mouth" after six clubs rejected the chance to play Academy teams in the tournament.
Clubs in the English Football League voted in favour of 16 Academy teams playing in this season's EFL Trophy, but six sides, including Arsenal, Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool and Tottenham, rejected the invitations with their places taken by Academy teams from Championship clubs.
"The Premier League teams that asked for it have pulled out and that leads to a bad taste," Kavanagh told BBC Radio 5 live.
"We were led to believe we could have drawn West Ham at the Olympic Stadium, but they were not in the same part of the draw. We have said we will try to do something for you (the Premier League clubs) but it has been thrown back in our faces."

They were on record and were shouted down. They wanted a 39th game too. They'll always look at ideas for how they can further Brand Premier League and where they can will try to force things through - EPPP for example.

B teams are nowhere near to being something that they will be able to force through in the short or medium term.

Taking Spain as an example, it is a fundamental part of their football culture. E.g. Real Madrid Castilla have been playing in the Spanish 'pyramid' since 1949, almost as long as it has existed.

Again, not to say it's not possible here, but culturally we're a long way from some of those footballing nations where it is the norm.

I think the point here is that most Prem clubs are now managed by foreign managers and owned by foreign owners who may well want to revert to what they know best.

And most lower league clubs are desperate for short term cash that they are willing to sell their long term legitimacy.

They were on record and were shouted down. They wanted a 39th game too. They'll always look at ideas for how they can further Brand Premier League and where they can will try to force things through - EPPP for example.

B teams are nowhere near to being something that they will be able to force through in the short or medium term.

I'm not sure anyone is saying that they are on the short or medium term agenda and it is more a point of principle.

Back