• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can we enter a B team ?

Of course we can.. and I hope Phil enters a Southend B team against a premiership B team.... I'm more concerned about getting a win in the League Match the following Saturday, than a EFL Trophy match against say an Everton XI.

After all, we could be playing against a 2nd XI of Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool etc, (and within that 11.. any player has to be under 23(a lot of which could be international players), yet, still, we could also face 4 much more experienced players over the age of 23 (3 outfield players and a goalkeeper).

A £1 million bonus for winning the competition, might pay a premiership's B side academy (without dipping into their own pocket) & might give them the opportunity to expand & improve their academy further.

But for us, And actually most of the 50+ smaller teams in the lower leagues, winning, not only brings pride, but huge financial reward.

it's a real game changer.

Just imagine us winning the Cup, and having £1 million in prize money, that money will keep us afloat for the next 2 seasons at least.
But for most Premiership teams, £1 Million, is nothing but dirt off their boots.

Exactly this.

What I said.

If all the fan's did this, All the Chairmen of league one and two will see a major gap in the bank balance of a loss when facing a Premier league B team. I would rather show up at Crawley on a cold Tuesday night in February, then a visit to Stamford Bridge, or the Olympic Stadium Etc.. just to give them further fuel to add to their greedy financial reasons as to why a Premiership B team should be included into the football league.

The problem is Chairmen were seeing a major gap in the bank balance in the old version, it was only worthwhile when you get to the final stages, so of no financial benefit to any but two of the clubs (I doubt one area final made the rest of it worthwhile on its own)

Of course we can.. and I hope Phil enters a Southend B team against a premiership B team.... I'm more concerned about getting a win in the League Match the following Saturday, than a EFL Trophy match against say an Everton XI.

After all, we could be playing against a 2nd XI of Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool etc, (and within that 11.. any player has to be under 23(a lot of which could be international players), yet, still, we could also face 4 much more experienced players over the age of 23 (3 outfield players and a goalkeeper).

A £1 million bonus for winning the competition, might pay a premiership's B side academy (without dipping into their own pocket) & might give them the opportunity to expand & improve their academy further.

But for us, And actually most of the 50+ smaller teams in the lower leagues, winning, not only brings pride, but huge financial reward.

it's a real game changer.

Just imagine us winning the Cup, and having £1 million in prize money, that money will keep us afloat for the next 2 seasons at least.
But for most Premiership teams, £1 Million, is nothing but dirt off their boots.

I dont know if that figure is right, probably is as the old one was worth about 400k, but if it is surely that actually makes it a more worthwhile competition for lower leagues ?

Bribed rather than blackmailed. The option was always there for the clubs to vote against it with no repercussions - they took the bribe.

Someone who attended the Stevenage AGM said that the Director mentioned that if they hadn't accepted it then their funding from the Premier League would have been reduced, to say the least.

That is not the case. If the clubs had not accepted them in this trophy then there would have been no increase in prize money.

If clubs can be bought that easily it doesn't augur well for when they want B teams in the League.

Where was all this protectiveness of the JPT when we've been drawn at home to Cheltenham in the first round again (it always seems to be bloody Cheltenham) and there's 1,300 people there despite tickets being a fiver?

Boycott? Don't make me laugh.

If this doesn't work then the experiment gets scrapped as does the competition.

Where was all this protectiveness of the JPT when we've been drawn at home to Cheltenham in the first round again (it always seems to be bloody Cheltenham) and there's 1,300 people there despite tickets being a fiver?

Boycott? Don't make me laugh.

If this doesn't work then the experiment gets scrapped as does the competition.

I'd rather have a JPT like before than this shower of crap

I read something not long ago about Liverpool potentially boycotting this as the games will be during the international breaks meaning they will have very few players including youth to pick! I also saw that any players registered for the main squad cannot play.

Problem is that the financial clout of the Prem is a huge carrot for teams like us. Same with Sky. However much we disagree with it, I do think an experiment for one season is not unreasonable. Who knows, it might bring in a sponsor for it next season which means the B teams aren't needed?

Problem is that the financial clout of the Prem is a huge carrot for teams like us. Same with Sky. However much we disagree with it, I do think an experiment for one season is not unreasonable. Who knows, it might bring in a sponsor for it next season which means the B teams aren't needed?

Flawed logic, I'm afraid. The B team concept brings in a sponsor who would then be happy to continue sponsorship the following year without the very thing that attracted them in the first place ? Really ?

What's the trust line on this???
They have been quiet for months, leading the front line as ever

I'd rather have a JPT like before than this shower of crap

But you wouldn't have got a JPT like before. No one even wants to sponsor it. Sky have lost literally half of their content to BT, they have five channels to fill and they'd paid the money up front and even then they STILL only broadcast a third of the JPT matches that they should have done last year.

No one goes to the games, no one watches it on TV so they're trying something different. If you don't like it, don't support it, fine fair enough. But talks of boycotts from people who wouldn't go anyway? Meh.

The alternative to B teams wasn't an indefinite continuation of the JPT that we know, it was it going the way of the Zenith Data Systems Cup and the Anglo-Italian.

The first 16 clubs with Category One Academies that have been invited to take part in the EFL Trophy 2016/17 are Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Leicester City, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Middlesbrough, Newcastle United, Southampton, Stoke City, Sunderland, Swansea City, Tottenham Hotspur, West Bromwich Albion and West Ham United.

Say a lot (or all) of these Cat One Academies turn down the invitation, just how far down the Academy ladder will the EFL
go to find enough teams to fill places for the comp, is it then a case of inviting clubs with Cat Two Academies....and so on?

I don't think all of them will want to take up that invite. What, really, is in it for them? They must know that lower-league teams don't really take this competition seriously until the later stages, we could feasibly see the bright young hopes of English football taking on Accrington's youngsters and stiffs.

I really, really hope this crashes and burns in the most spectacular way possible.

Slight problem with the EFL Trophy dates...during int breaks mean U21 internationals at Cat 1 clubs not available.. Whatever your opinions on the new format good or bad - it needs a bit more thinking.

I do really think that L1 & L2 managers will see this as 3 games to play fringe or young players, just open the east stand and keep the costs to SUFC down as much as possible.

Why not just ditch the competition, take out any teams involved in European games from the League Cup and reduce the amount of fixtures for everyone...

Back