• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Liverpool set to reject the invitation from the EFL http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-likely-turn-down-11576325

Wonder if many others will follow, would they then just reduce the number of teams competing or go further down until we end up with a host of Championship B teams in the competition?

Looks like they will end up trying to keep the games from their stadium and undermining any attraction for them being there.

"It is understood one of several sticking points is around the availability of Anfield with invited teams like Liverpool having to guarantee a home fixture at their home ground."

But you wouldn't have got a JPT like before. No one even wants to sponsor it. Sky have lost literally half of their content to BT, they have five channels to fill and they'd paid the money up front and even then they STILL only broadcast a third of the JPT matches that they should have done last year.

No one goes to the games, no one watches it on TV so they're trying something different. If you don't like it, don't support it, fine fair enough. But talks of boycotts from people who wouldn't go anyway? Meh.

The alternative to B teams wasn't an indefinite continuation of the JPT that we know, it was it going the way of the Zenith Data Systems Cup and the Anglo-Italian.

If it means no JPT, then frankly, I would rather have that than be the Premier Leagues guinea pigs.

What's the trust line on this???
They have been quiet for months, leading the front line as ever

Not sure there is an "official" line, and I missed the most recent meeting. Several of us have been asked for opinions on various things, for instance, we were all against the extra point for penalty thing. Trouble is, this has all been rushed through with very little time for consultation. I think we were pretty much against the whole thing initially but, when you actually have things explained, as SK has done, in better detail, it helps you to understand.

Of course there is a principle, but, at the end of the day, I still think it's worth a one year experiment.

Liverpool set to reject the invitation from the EFL http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-likely-turn-down-11576325

Wonder if many others will follow, would they then just reduce the number of teams competing or go further down until we end up with a host of Championship B teams in the competition?

"Unconfirmed rumours" (terrible things!) tonight suggesting Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal (in addition to Liverpool) are all due to decline "invitation" to play in this competition. If true, a ridiculous proposal is going to become farcical!

I would be surprised, if true.

After all, It's the big guns that pressured "the powers at be" in order to test their academy on a tougher stage, than they currently have. With the hope of Premier League B sides to enter the League.

The only downside I can currently think of, is having their under 23 team playing against some minnows ruining their turf a few days before a premier league or Champions league game.
Other than that, they are have the upper hand.

Although it would make a complete mockery of the FA / EFL changes to the cup though. So part of me hopes it's true. Although I very much doubt it.

If it means no JPT, then frankly, I would rather have that than be the Premier Leagues guinea pigs.

The Football League clubs benefit way more than the Premier League clubs do, hence why the Premier League clubs don't seem interested.

I would be surprised, if true.

After all, It's the big guns that pressured "the powers at be" in order to test their academy on a tougher stage, than they currently have. With the hope of Premier League B sides to enter the League.

The only downside I can currently think of, is having their under 23 team playing against some minnows ruining their turf a few days before a premier league or Champions league game.
Other than that, they are have the upper hand.

Although it would make a complete mockery of the FA / EFL changes to the cup though. So part of me hopes it's true. Although I very much doubt it.
I also read that due to the timing of the fixtures, the EFL Trophy games fall during international breaks, when the most talented youngsters are away with their countries. They're worried that they'll be forced to feel younger players who aren't quite ready and they'll just get kicked lumps out of by lower league journeymen.

Looks like man utd man city Spurs and possible a few others are already pulling the plug.

Shocking idea in the first place

You'd have thought they would have got the correct amount of Premier League clubs to agree to it first of all wouldn't you? Instead of just assuming they will be up for it. But then I guess that shows the ignorance of the whole thing.

Its a shame the 2 threads on this subject have not been merged as a lot of stuff has already been covered.

Those who dont care about all of this ------YOU SHOULD !!!!.

This is the thin end of the wedge, the EPL doesn't give a toss about the JPT , this is a step towards league three.- that is the ultimate goal, and this is a step on the route to get there. Kavanagh has said that we would never wrote for it and it needs 90% agreement . Well never is a long time and the FL introduced the 90% rule, and can change it just as easily. Many of us were amazed that we agreed to this , and we now understand why - money . To say we would never agree to League three is ridiculous . The EPL could easily afford to pay every team £10 million as an inducement payment - would the club still say no then ?

ask yourself this - the EPL suggested this idea abd they must have consulted with the clubs , and now their members are pulling out - does that make any sense?

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ut-of-revamped-english-football-league-trophy

Re the actual JPT. There are a couple of points that no one has picked up on. Who can forget the atmosphere in a area finla matches home and away vs Orient. The atmoshpere and the excitenete and the memories , that is what football is all about for many of us. Going forward there wil be no hone and away , and there will be no 'Southern' final . This year if we get that far we could be playing Morecombe away on a Tuesday night. Not quite the same is it , so thats something else that has been taken away from us. Full details here

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/efl-trophy-format-confirmed-3171721.aspx

I posted the below on the other thread- note the 'bribe' piece

this website is very good
http://www.againstleague3.co.uk/faq-...rophy-changes/

note the below Why did the clubs vote for such an unpopular measure?

There are a couple of reasons for this.
The JPT / EFL Trophy is not universally popular with fans. It struggled with attendances (although attendances were not dropping – just consistently low) and was low in the priorities of many clubs who played in it. The justification of many clubs who EFL forced it to a vote.
If the Clubs and League think the trophy is dying, it’s dying because fans aren’t interested and aren’t attending. Supporters were totally ignored with regards to making changes in the competition when they were the ones who could tell clubs how best to revitalise it.
Clubs also receive a funding boost from The Premier League via increased “solidarity” payments. Every League 1 club will receive increased payments from £360k to £645k each, while League 2 payments have gone up from £240k to £430k for each club.

This page is particually interesting and 'proves' the EPL is lying (IMO). Basically The EPL U21 cat one teams are invited, but not Championship teams with Cat one teams . If this is all about EPPP then why are they not invited to join in the same way as the Prem teams?

http://www.againstleague3.co.uk/new-...ntradict-eppp/

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the planned group stage announcement will be? I cant find it anywhere.

Im guessing if it's not going to be a draw as such, but initially placed purely on the locality to each other, we could possibly get West Ham B, Leyton Orient & maybe Millwall (now the Daggers have dropped out of League 2).

Does anyone know when the planned group stage announcement will be? I cant find it anywhere.

Im guessing if it's not going to be a draw as such, but initially placed purely on the locality to each other, we could possibly get West Ham B, Leyton Orient & maybe Millwall (now the Daggers have dropped out of League 2).
Got to be a regional draw to start with? Never known a competition to be done just on location.
That's if this competition actually takes place!

That's what I would have thought also, but they keep harping on about "localized groups". for the benefit of the travelling fans, and boosting attendances etc.

If true, it cant be much of a draw though I would have thought, if there is going to be a whopping 16 different localized groups of 4 teams arranged on a region basis. Bearing in mind, 1 has to be an academy Side, 1 a Division one side and 1 a Division 2 side. There really isnt many teams to chose from.

For example, I would Imagine Col Ewes group pool would be them in with Cambridge, Peterborough and Norwich as the Academy side.
And Gillingham's pool, would be them in the same pot as Crawley, Charlton and Crystal Palace as the academy side.

At the end of the day, it matters not, as you said, the competition may not take place at all at this rate. Looks like Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and Man City have declined the offer to participate.

This was confirmed on Sky Sports a short while ago. They are struggling to get enough clubs so have gone down to the next level until they have 16. A complete farce.

You would have thought before announcing these new changes they would have checked with the Premier League teams to see who wanted to enter.

Could this actually be the best bit of negotiating the FL has ever done. We get the increased solidarity payments and extra sponsorship for he trophy ( significant increase- numbers on my earlier post) but without any B teams:Worthy:

It is a complete farce. As one headline put it "it's like an apprentice tv show challenge gone wrong"

I do hope it happens though, if only for this season on a trial basis.

Not to mention the much needed prize money of £10,000 for a win & £5,000 for a draw in the group stages, the much needed cash would go a long way in terms of paying our players wage bill.

At this rate they will be asking us to put our B team in.

Shows what a great idea it was and how much Premierleague teams value the whole "B Team" idea.

Maybe with a total lack of interest in this competition it will stop being being so worried about B Teams in the league.

Back