• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Don't rate him that highly, but he has proved to be more than adequate for this bottom division, so it wouldnt be the worst signing in the world. Rather Mildy stuck around personally!

An appropriate choice of words. Personally, I wouldn't be rushing to sign him. As I've always said, he's entirely reliant on his reflexes - and they are only going to get slower.

...and you get even more clueless with age, goalkeepers are better in there 30's, have you not noticed that?

he'll age like wine

Go a bit vinegary and leave us in the stew?

John - some keepers get better with age because they use their experience to ensure that they master the art of positioning, anticipation, angles and general command of their area. Since Darryl never had any of those attributes to start off with, he's not got anything to work with. He's getting into old dog / new tricks territory.

Darryl's ability was 100% down to his reflexes, which were extraordinary, but which will only get slower with age.

I'm just relieved that Luggy & Widds are unlikely to have bought into the cult of Darryl, and therefore will pick a keeper purely on merit if/when Mildy leaves.

...and you get even more clueless with age, goalkeepers are better in there 30's, have you not noticed that?

On the cluelessness stakes, I will always be in your shadow, my dear. I've explained in my previous post why the stat about keepers getting better with age doesn't apply to Darryl. If you want a better known example, look at Ian Walker. Brilliant as a youngster, but went rapidly downhill as he aged. Ditto Bosnich.

Not all keepers get better as they get older - that is, frankly, a lazy and inaccurate generalisation. Reaction keepers get worse with age.

Incidentally, am I the only one who saw Darryl's horror-show at Oldham towards the end of last season? This is not a keeper on an upward curve!

On the cluelessness stakes, I will always be in your shadow, my dear. I've explained in my previous post why the stat about keepers getting better with age doesn't apply to Darryl. If you want a better known example, look at Ian Walker. Brilliant as a youngster, but went rapidly downhill as he aged. Ditto Bosnich.

Not all keepers get better as they get older - that is, frankly, a lazy and inaccurate generalisation. Reaction keepers get worse with age.

Incidentally, am I the only one who saw Darryl's horror-show at Oldham towards the end of last season? This is not a keeper on an upward curve!

Oh well done, was waiting for you to highlight 1 blatant mistake in 10 years, just about sums you up, boffin with very little football brain!

Oh well done, was waiting for you to highlight 1 blatant mistake in 10 years, just about sums you up, boffin with very little football brain!

LOL - Darryl's made one mistake in 10 years? Blimey, you're even more blinded by his good looks and "peachy bum" than I thought you were!

I've seen some great Darryl performances for SUFC, don't get me wrong. But I've seen plenty of errors too. Darryl's an OK keeper, not the demigod that loons like you seem to think he is.

Personally, I'd like the club to be looking for the next Simon Royce, not bringing in a keeper who isn't going to get any better, or taller, with age.

LOL - Darryl's made one mistake in 10 years? Blimey, you're even more blinded by his good looks and "peachy bum" than I thought you were!

I've seen some great Darryl performances for SUFC, don't get me wrong. But I've seen plenty of errors too. Darryl's an OK keeper, not the demigod that loons like you seem to think he is.

Personally, I'd like the club to be looking for the next Simon Royce, not bringing in a keeper who isn't going to get any better, or taller, with age.

Change the record, same old script!

Change the record, same old script!

Bloody hell - takes one to know one, love! Your same old script is no more exciting to read than mine, I can assure you. At least I'm occasionally optimistic - not something anyone would ever ascribe to your miserable diatribes on here.

Darryl is one 31 - thats nothing in keeeper terms.

Personally happy either way but if I had to choose I think move on. Its often a mistake to go back.

I suppose that's the problem. A lot of his mistakes were not Rob Green esque, rather ones brought on by his lack of command, dominance, and decision making, so that by the time the ball ended up in the net there was nothing he could do, but a more competent keeper would have stopped it before it got to that stage. Doncaster in play - off semi final, plus numerous looping headers that were beyond his reach, but would not have been beyond the reach of most keepers....

Desperate times and all that! Darryl Flahavan...best keeper in the league.....maybe not ,but League 2, yes he would up there. Remember the save from "Ronaldo" just for that reason alone. Seriously, we are not in any position to sign anyone half descent, so I wouldnt see it as a bad shout at all as he is a fantastic shot stopper! Commanding his area is a different thread!

Desperate times and all that! Darryl Flahavan...best keeper in the league.....maybe not ,but League 2, yes he would up there. Remember the save from "Ronaldo" just for that reason alone. Seriously, we are not in any position to sign anyone half descent, so I wouldnt see it as a bad shout at all as he is a fantastic shot stopper! Commanding his area is a different thread!

Anyone got a link to that save? My recollection were that he had one of those days where there were a few shots from outside the box that he should have saved but required a dive so looked good, but would have been poor keeping if he let them in. Now the save against Northampton was another matter......

This one?

[video=youtube;TAFKeWR3X4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAFKeWR3X4k[/video]

Or there's a couple on here...

[video=youtube;QOR_onYDhls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOR_onYDhls[/video]

Last edited:
THat youtube feature is quality on this site!

(Though it does ooks like it hit / was going to hit the bar?)

The clip I was looking for shows that from behind Ronaldo (may be on the second video, didn't watch it all the way through, I was laughing too hard at JCR's attempt to break his leg) and from that angle it looks as if it would have gone in. The best angle, because it shows Ronaldo having a wee pet when it's saved. :D

Daryl was released by Palace I can confirm. I can also confirm he has had no contact with the new boss.

Back