• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

That has nothing to do with police funding and is poor excuse for the likes of Choudary.

Think of all those wonderful benefits you enjoy because of 'exploitation'...….Lloyds is a magnificent building.....How is the global market these days?

Oh don't get me wrong I don't excuse it at all. Two wrongs don't make a right. The point was people like him aren't the fault of the EU.

We have all profited from it and are fortunate to have been born in this country. Lloyds coffee shop at the docks where the 1st marine insurers sat and insured the cargo of ships going back and forth to the colonies, I'm very well versed in it's history and the opportunity I have because of it. The truth is our whole economic standing is down to that exploitation and whilst we were not directly responsible for it we can at least recognise it.

So why did we go and colonise countries if it was not to profit from them, taking their resources? That equates to exploitation to me and that's before you even start on slavery etc.
They didn't know they had resources to we showed them and then they got a cut,greedy sods.

Seems sensible to me and cheap compared to the £39 million we would save. However I thought there would be no trade from the EU so why extra capacity?
Of the £108 million spend on this latest panic only £14m is going to a U.K. company and the rest to EU companies.

The crazy thing is that this is yet more spending because the government haven't decided what they are doing. If they had put May's deal to Parliament we could stop spending on scenarios that may not happen. Instead we keep spending taxpayers money on possibilities while the government are on holiday.

Of the £108 million spend on this latest panic only £14m is going to a U.K. company and the rest to EU companies.

The crazy thing is that this is yet more spending because the government haven't decided what they are doing. If they had put May's deal to Parliament we could stop spending on scenarios that may not happen. Instead we keep spending taxpayers money on possibilities while the government are on holiday.

I doubt there are three British ferry companies available. British industry has been asset stripped by the EU.
I agree that parliament is a shambles. Problem is they know leave won but they don't want to leave. They also know, well some of them do, that if they betray the vote, and I include May's deal, then there is a large possibility they will not be reelected. The consequence is what we are seeing. They are all too scared to make a decision and are quite happy to let someone else do it. Furthermore both main parties know they are very unpopular and are both trying to be least unliked. What a way to run a country.

They didn't know they had resources to we showed them and then they got a cut,greedy sods.

For a more sophisticated political analysis ,you might want to take a look at Lenin's Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism (1917), which describes the function of financial capital in generating profits from imperialist colonialism as the final stage of capitalist development to ensure greater profits.

I doubt there are three British ferry companies available. British industry has been asset stripped by the EU.
I agree that parliament is a shambles. Problem is they know leave won but they don't want to leave. They also know, well some of them do, that if they betray the vote, and I include May's deal, then there is a large possibility they will not be reelected. The consequence is what we are seeing. They are all too scared to make a decision and are quite happy to let someone else do it. Furthermore both main parties know they are very unpopular and are both trying to be least unliked. What a way to run a country.
In what way have British ferry companies been asset stripped by the EU?

In what way have British ferry companies been asset stripped by the EU?

I wasn't referring to ferry companies in particular. Energy, car, steel, fishing, farming, food to name a few industries which have virtually disappeared from these shores. Many with grants or loans from the EU, which mainly comes from British taxpayers.

I wasn't referring to ferry companies in particular. Energy, car, steel, fishing, farming, food to name a few industries which have virtually disappeared from these shores. Many with grants or loans from the EU, which mainly comes from British taxpayers.
Thatcher closed the coal mines, the government failed to step in to protect our steel industry just a couple of years back, our car industry I believe is running ok but is threatened by Brexit because of supply chains, farming I believe we get a lot of EU subsidies. I'm no expert but I'd be surprised if EU asset stripping was a concept that stands up.

The ferries pay out definitely seems like £80 million going from UK to mainland Europe because the government don't know what our situation will be in 3 months time.

Thatcher closed the coal mines, the government failed to step in to protect our steel industry just a couple of years back, our car industry I believe is running ok but is threatened by Brexit because of supply chains, farming I believe we get a lot of EU subsidies. I'm no expert but I'd be surprised if EU asset stripping was a concept that stands up.

The ferries pay out definitely seems like £80 million going from UK to mainland Europe because the government don't know what our situation will be in 3 months time.

Why did Thatcher close the mines?
The steel industry was gone before a few years ago.
Name all the British owned car manufacturers.
Farmers get subsidies not to farm.
Fishermen got subsidies to destroy their boats.
As with the grants to move industries to Europe these subsidies are all paid for by the British taxpayer.

As an aside there is somewhere in the EU planning for the division of industries throughout the member states.

For a more sophisticated political analysis ,you might want to take a look at Lenin's Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism (1917), which describes the function of financial capital in generating profits from imperialist colonialism as the final stage of capitalist development to ensure greater profits.
Thanks I'll get straight on to that senor and please don't talk to me about sophistication I've been to Leeds.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46706381

Can someone please explain to me in what way exactly this situation constitutes a "crisis?"

Human trafficking gangs trying to smuggle hundreds of illegal immigrants into Britain?
High risk of multiple deaths and bodies washed up on the beach?
Ships being hi-jacked in the Thames estuary and SBS having to storm aboard?
The strain on resources to try and stop it ?
Other crime will profit if ports are understaffed because 'crisis'?
The increase on our overburdened benefits and NHS system?
Genuine refugees like woman and children are unable to be helped?
Risk of known terrorists using the 'smugglers' route ?
If they don't do anything then the numbers will rapidly increase, with worse conditions?
The rise in political tension in Britain?
Far less likely for people to vote remain in a second referendum because of EU incompetence?

It would of course be much easier to head to Spain from France. Can you give me any reasons they don't?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46706381

Can someone please explain to me in what way exactly this situation constitutes a "crisis?"
A relatively small number of desperate people risk their lives to try to get to a mythical land of milk and honey before the gates shut.
Another example of the utterly cynical way that the Tories are trying to deflect a problem of their own making into a scare story to shore up their Brexit plans and reinforce the mindless 'control of our borders' mantra. Has there ever been a more opportunistic home secretary than the present incumbent, whose bland exterior fails to mask the fact that he is also using this issue to advance his own leadership ambitions.

Human trafficking gangs trying to smuggle hundreds of illegal immigrants into Britain?
High risk of multiple deaths and bodies washed up on the beach?
Ships being hi-jacked in the Thames estuary and SBS having to storm aboard?
The strain on resources to try and stop it ?
Other crime will profit if ports are understaffed because 'crisis'?
The increase on our overburdened benefits and NHS system?
Genuine refugees like woman and children are unable to be helped?
Risk of known terrorists using the 'smugglers' route ?
If they don't do anything then the numbers will rapidly increase, with worse conditions?
The rise in political tension in Britain?
Far less likely for people to vote remain in a second referendum because of EU incompetence?

It would of course be much easier to head to Spain from France. Can you give me any reasons they don't?
Try unemployment in the youth at 35%,and 40% of all young people have never had a job,no future there then.

Back