• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Barnet 2-1 Southend United

So I have no idea whatsoever how well we played today as from people who watched the game we have everything from we were utterly woeful to robbed, played well and could easily have won.

Our first meaningful defeat since February (Rochdale scored with virtually the last kick of the season when we knew our play off chances had gone) and cue SZ meltdown. 😜
So, it`s ok to watch sideways, backwards football is it? I`m back in Southampton after going to the game, and Barnet looked far better and more comfortable with the ball, certainly looked to go forward and lot more than us. We play too deep, if we stretched our opponents further up, we may have a chance of going forward as a unit. How many times did the kick go long and out of play today? Colin didn`t seem comfortable kicking out, and receiving back from defenders, with their players pressing, yes pressing. Even with 5 minutes to go, Barnet were banging it about to each other running ring`s around us. Even when we did get it we put it either sideways or back to Colin? We need to start having more of a go at teams, take the handbrake of a little bit Maher, and perhaps try something different? If we carry on like this all season it`s going to be boring and long. Fantastic support today, and deserve better. We can only hope that we get another established striker that knows where the onion bag is? Wood was awful today, bring him on if we are winning by a couple of goals, not chasing a game. I know it`s early day`s, but, after a few more, if this gameplay carries on a pattern will start to emerge, maybe try a plan b, at least give it a go? Forwards

I think Wood needs to go out on loan and we need to sign another CAM to fill in a similar role to Moncur. We don't have enough players willing to move with the ball. We're far too passive, until that changes I don't see us challenging at the top. We have capable strikers but we're giving them next to no service because of how slow we are with the ball. Crab football needs to go.

rubbish day of football. First half was abysmal. Not doing the basics. Not tracking runners, not moving into space et cetera.

Second half was a bit better, at times.

Just bloody rubbish in general.

I dont mind losing to Barnet away, came 2nd last season, will probably be champions.

Im dissapointed in the manor in which we lost in. We were pathetic.

But on the flip side, the 2 goals we conceded were a smash and grab and a penalty so i guess its which way we look at it.

The very least i hope for is a point at home. At times in the second half we showed that they are more then beatable.

Anyways onto dagenham. Hopefully a response, Come on you Shrimpers!

reading the posts seems nothing has changed from last season,side ways back wards anything but forward ,Dont wish to knock Maher but he really needs to look at the way we play , To my way off thinking and how i was bought up laying foorball ,i was always taught the best method of defence is to attack, i feel sorry for strikers that come to this club at present and maybe understand why they go and sign elsewhere, they get little to nothing in the way of chances which isnt good for a striker. Either Maher changes his tactics or as others have said its going to be a long season and a midtable finish. Dont score goals aint going to win and 1 goal no matter how decent your defence is will 90% of the time either result in a draw or a loss sorry.

I think Wood needs to go out on loan and we need to sign another CAM to fill in a similar role to Moncur. We don't have enough players willing to move with the ball. We're far too passive, until that changes I don't see us challenging at the top. We have capable strikers but we're giving them next to no service because of how slow we are with the ball. Crab football needs to go.
Exactly. I feel the need for another box to box player, who can drive forward for the whole ninety minutes if necessary

Very disappointing. To add a few thoughts -

Massively missed Kensdale. Not the defensive side as Crowther more than covered that but the link play between defence and midfield. Hopefully he'll be back on Monday.

Barnet played pretty well but we had our moments too. At 1-1 they were on the ropes.

Jack Bridge has not been at the races for a while. His second half was ok but it was like playing with 10 men in the first.

Barnet hit the ball into the channels whereas we try and play the perfect pass.

When they came out their passing was either first time or after one touch. We need 3 or 4 touches.

I'm not so bothered about the sideways stuff as long as we are keeping the ball. But we seem to be very predictable which makes us easy to defend against.

Oh well... onto Monday.

That’s the first time in a long time I’ve seen us where we were very second best to another team. Barnet were miles better. In the end we might have nicked a point after a good ten mins but other than that we are so predictable. That’s why we don’t score many as teams know how we play and snuff us out. Morton and Wood were awful when they came on and we never looked like scoring. It’s early days but as I said after the grim display in Ireland …. We are a long way from a HMS **** the League side. Lots of work to do
The last time I saw as second best was 3 games ago against York

Having had the evening to reflect, I still think that was a rank performance from us today. The lack of idea when we get the ball in the opposition half is such a worry as we zero off the ball movement. It’s so easy to defend against as a Barnet fan in here quite rightly acknowledged. I’d be prioritising some sheer raw pace as an absolute priority over the next few weeks. Otherwise I think we’ll struggle against the stronger sides in the division and likely be battling out at the low end of the play offs.

I had a decent day out. whole day off parenting and a few beers with mates.

we had our pants pulled down by a better team today. they were a class above. we weren't as awful as many on here say, but we were outclassed. last time i checked prizes are handed out in Spring, not August. So we have time to improve. this is still basically the team that only just missed the playoffs last season even with all that went on.

i though the ref was toilet. so weak. he gave in to whoever put him under pressure. the Barnet player took out Collin, he wasn't going to give it, then we all called for it so he's had a word, we all called the ref a **** so he booked him. hope he doesn't ever go on the Overground coz he's gonna give all his money to the first beggar he sees. the bigger kids are going to rip him to bits at school next week.

Some of the negativity is embarrassing, frankly.

We weren’t great. They were ever so slightly better. Could have been a forgettable 1-1, as it is it’s a forgettable 2-1 defeat. Seen lots of those before, will see lots more in the future I’m sure.

Barnet are paying starting players in some cases 4x what we are. All of the ****e of the last decade is not undone in the second half of a transfer window. Perspective matters.

Collin 4 distribution atrocious and most keepers would have saved the first goal…causes all sorts of problems with his indecisive play with the ball at his feet
Gus 7 contributes more than the rest with his enthusiasm and effort, that’s why he gets on the end of things
Crowther 6 looks what he is, lower league inconsistent cheapy
Ralph 6 quality player at this level but not at his best today
Taylor 9 if only his teammates were as committed as him, stood out a mile
Husin 7 one of the better ones generally but also good one minute bad the next
Miley 7 thought he broke things up ok but creates little
Bridge 6 not great up against decent players, prefers a Boston defender
Waldron 5 missed a sitter and would still not know what his strengths are?
Cards 6 never missed a shot in the warm up but what chance has he got in front of the 🦀 crabs
Coker 5 not the same player, has his forward play been coached out of him?
Moncur 8 pure class whatever he does and has a load of static statues to play with….would fit in extremely well in a team like Barnet with a team of runners!

Kevin Maher 2…..with this set of players, not world beaters but better than how he sets them up and coaches them. Say it again, he’s a Southgate and what did 90% think of his style and use of decent players?

One thing that was clear today. We ain’t getting out of this league without spending some decent money and getting some experienced pros in.

Need a winger who actually takes players on too. We always wait for an overlap and it allows teams to get their shape back.

Wood and Coker ain’t anywhere near good enough for me. Cardwell I don’t think done much at all today and Waldron chased all day but nothing came off for him at all. Taylor and Gus were best two players for us. Felt like all we wanted to do was go long ball and our press was lacking for most of the game.

I think we desperately need a player like brunt who floats around and is involved in everything linking the midfield and the forwards and gets stuck in. We also need a proper experienced head to calm things down and lift players up when things get tough. Whenever we concede we seem to struggle to lift ourselves up again.

Thought the ref was terrible too. There was a challenge by Brunt in the first half on Ralph that was a clear yellow, then there was the trip by their player on Collin when he was going to play it out quickly and he only got booked after repeatedly arguing with the ref. Have soft free kicks but missed the obvious ones. Then there was the most obvious foul throw I’ve ever seen in football where their players foot was up by his arse when he threw the ball. They were diving and making fouls constantly and the ref kept on allowing it. Frustrating.

Back