• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Barnet 2-1 Southend United

Lads were unlucky to lose in the end and great to see the effort put in, they might not be the greatest Southend team in history but there's no strollers in there and i respect that. You could pull apart many performances as a few have before me, but Barnet are a good team on the attack and a real handful.
They can hold the ball upfront where we couldn't and they can play it around on the edge of our box and be dangerous, again we have trouble doing that. Our defence struggled to get up with our midfield because we couldnt hold the ball well further up the pitch. And that was the difference between the two teams, for me.

But we knew this would happen, many spotted our attacking intent last year from central midfield, BUT because of the rat we didnt get out of a transfer embargo till very nearly the start of this new season and missed a load of chances to sign preffered targets.

The 2yr long transfer embargo stripped this club of players, make no mistake, coupled with a chairman that everyone in the business stayed clear of.
I suggest we get behind the boys AND Kev, Daz, Mark and John and let's get this club back on a level playing field. Not going to do that in the first 5 fixtures.

Hold firm my lovely Shrimpers.

We were miles off it today, zero cutting edge and several players looked out of their depth. Massively important to get a result on Monday, cos at the mo we’ve really flattered to deceive.

Great numbers as usual and you could see the team were visibly lifted as they came out of the tunnel. However, for the first time in ages, not many remained to clap them off at the end, and I hope that message hits home.

I’m not sure if the takeover has subconsciously taken away our edge/hunger, but Barnet had more desire today. They were sharper, while we lacked dynamism, movement (and leaders) I cannot recall us winning one second ball.

I’m off to find a little bloke and have a fight.
Mentioned the highlighted before a ball was kicked on August 10.
It's a new mentality needed, and one or two are struggling with the different pressure.

I don’t get it, Coker meant to be an attacking midfielder, that can aim and shoot at the goal, why he playing deeper?

3-5-2 don’t work, if we have 3 midfielders that are far too similar to each others. Unless we change it, we are not going anywhere in the table.

Wood & Morton showed nothing coming off the bench too. Ship them out on loan to like of Braintree.

We are such a negative side to watch, no cut and thrust at all. One thing I did like about Dackers, despite his lack of goals, was he always carried the vall forward with purpose.

Wes has not been replaced, Morton is woeful and I think this is a level too high for Waldron.

By no means relegation fodder this year but a millions miles off promotion material without considerable additions.

Team just looks flat and has only really outplayed Boston

Wood, Waldron, Coker, Morton and Crowther all not good enough.
I think Crowther will do ok. Waldron is lacking confidence, maybe needs a goal to get him up and running. I thought he looked good at times last season. Wood probably needs to go out on loan, his touch was very poor when he came on today. Morton and Coker are probably OK as squad players but not quite good enough at this moment in time.
For what it's worth, today's match, I thought Collin should have done better with the first goal and their player was probably offside before he was fouled for the penalty. A stupid challenge by, I think, Taylor in any case.
I thought we were playing well in the second half until the penalty. Moncur looked quality again after he came on as a sub. But unfortunately the same can't be said for Wood and Morton.
I'm sure we will come good. Too early to panic. Another couple of signings and we will be there or thereabouts.

First game seen this season - thought Barnet deservedly won despite neither side creating many chances - Barnet had a few more as the game opened up towards the end. We improved in the second half but didn't really look like coming back after the penalty.

Couple of thoughts:

- Colin wasn't his usual self. Shaky with distribution and I think he will be disappointed he didn't get a hand to the first goal I think.
- Waldron works very hard but doesn't look dangerous in terms of scoring goals. Should have done better with the headed chance he had in second half.
- Barnet exploited our left wing back area - by pressing that area it also meant that Bridge was rarely able to attack their defence.
- Moncur looked good when he came on - always on the move and looking for a forward pass.
- Thought Gus and Taylor were our two best players today
- And finally - what is happening with Wood? Came on and every attack seemed to break down when it came to him. We know he has lots of potential but surely we need to start seeing it soon!

On to Monday we go!

View as a Barnet fan.

Thought you were solid and knocked the ball around well, but you didn't seem to get behind us much and it was crosses or long throws that was the biggest threat. You were fairly predictable to watch. We will let you have the ball and hit you on the break. Second half you played better and deserved the equaliser. Definitely a penalty. Think we played slicker football in the last 20 and only a mistake by us was going to let you in.

Thought your keeper and Harry Taylor looked suspect certainly in first half. You lacked guile in midfield and your 2 forwards very static and so no real pace.

I'm sure you will be around the playoffs but you need more quality.

Always tight games now but we seem to of become your bogey side!

Been a fan of Wood, but he was utter pony when he came on today. We will win most games against the poorer teams this season, but the current squad won’t compete against the other top sides. We pay them too much respect.

Play offs at best I think, unless we bring in another couple of attack minded players.

We have a very tough start in terms of fixtures, so let see where we are after Monday.
Agree but, no point in getting more attack minded players if the manager is defence minded.

Just got back, maybe it's still the aftermath but I though we were utter ****e apart from a 10 minute spell in the second half.

Out played, out fought and tactically out done.

Couple of points I'll make:

1. Most things came down our left which is our defensive weakness
  2. They played some nice football in our final third, we didn't in theirs.
  3. So static off the ball.
  4. Refusal to run forward wih the ball when you have the ball with 20 yards of space in front of you.
  5. When the front 2-3 decided to press and close down their keeper/defenders no one else pressed high. They then just move the ball and find a player in space and we have three players out the game. If you are going to press you need everyone to do it or don't bother.
  6. Not sure what was up with Collin today, not a good sign when the back four are having a go at him, that is unusual. I've now seen their first goal again and he should save it, thought that at the time but didn't want to jump to conclusions.

Last edited:
Just got back, maybe it's still the aftermath but I though we were utter ****e apart from a 10 minute spell in the second half.

Out played, out fought and tactically out done.

Couple of points I'll make:

1. Most things came down our left which is our defensive weakness
  2. They played some nice football in our final third, we didn't in theirs.
  3. So static off the ball.
  4. Refusal to run forward wih the ball when you have the ball with 20 yards of space in front of you.
  5. When the front 2-3 decided to press and close down their keeper/defenders no one else pressed high. They then just move the ball and find a player in space and we have three players out the game. If you are going to press you need everyone to do it or don't bother.
  6. Not sure what was up with Collin today, not a good sign when the back four are having a go at him, that is unusual.
...particularly this! Why in the wide, wide world of sports do we play it BACKWARDS so often?

We never seem to move forward with pace, we fanny about with it until the opposition are all back in defence.
That’s not the sort of players we have currently- either wide or in midfield- if we have budget for another 3-4 in then maybe we could fix

Moncur definitely is attack minded and can create but it needs players who can take advantage around him. And he can’t do much from the bench.

Let’s see what the next couple of weeks bring transfer wise. I think we are playoff level but not top three- we can get to the latter with the right additions (whether that’s a priority this season I don’t know).

Back