• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Barnet 2-1 Southend United

[QUOTE="GBJ, post: 2779886, member: 3744]
Bridge seems a shadow of himself at the moment. I’m not sure if he’s being marked out of games, or he’s lost half a step, but he’s just not as creative down the wing as he has been In previous seasons.
[/QUOTE]
He’s missing Wes. The two of them linked up brilliantly last season. As you say, I think he’s easier to mark at the moment because Wes’s ability to find pockets of space between midfield and attack caused problems and gave Bridge more opportunities to exploit the gaps.

Moncur is an upgrade on Wes but he isn’t fully up to speed yet. I think we need an additional attacking midfielder with pace to relieve the pressure on Bridge. It’s all a bit predictable at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="GBJ, post: 2779886, member: 3744}
Bridge seems a shadow of himself at the moment. I’m not sure if he’s being marked out of games, or he’s lost half a step, but he’s just not as creative down the wing as he has been In previous seasons.
He’s missing Wes. The two of them linked up brilliantly last season. As you say, I think he’s easier to mark at the moment because Wes’s ability to find pockets of space between midfield and attack caused problems and gave Bridge more opportunities to exploit the gaps.

Moncur is an upgrade on Wes but he isn’t fully up to speed yet. I think we need an additional attacking midfielder with pace to relieve the pressure on Bridge. It’s all a bit predictable at the moment.
[/QUOTE]
I think wes and powell being let go demonstrate just how bad our transfers have gone.

Maher clearly thought that powell and wes needed upgrading to push on, and you could say that about %95 of fans agreed. But we havent been able to sign anyone better, rons ****ery? Lack of budget? Either way you could argue that at the moment our squad is slightly worse this season. To the point that we are expecting moncur to be our saviour. Thats not good.

SUCCESS never comes easy in the National League - and Southend United are being reminded of that right now.

With new owners and the results achieved amid extreme off-field issues last season, the Shrimpers have kicked off the new campaign with increased expectations of a promotion push.

But it was never going to be straight forward and Saturday’s 2-1 defeat at Barnet was another reminder as to why.

Sides with far bigger budgets who have the continuity and consistency of being well run for a considerable amount of time are still ahead of Blues at this stage.
And it will take time for that gap to narrow.

The Shrimpers papered over the cracks in many ways last season but success can only be secured against the odds for so long without the long-standings problems being addressed.

Blues have certainly made real progress in the short time since the consortium took charge and even have water running at their Boots & Laces training base now!

But the harsh reality is that a club so neglected and virtually left to die cannot suddenly spring back into life and become immediate pace-setters at the top of the table.

The Shrimpers have faced some strong opposition in their fixtures so far, with Barnet arguably the best so far.

The Bees have made 15 signings since the end of last season and seem destined to be right in the race for promotion again this time around.

Right now, they boast an incredible strength in depth that Southend are sadly lacking at this stage.

Barnet’s options off the bench added an extra dimension late on whereas Blues do not really have that level of luxury right now, aside from George Moncur who is still working his way back to full fitness after signing on a season long loan from Leyton Orient.

Further attacking reinforcements are most definitely required, especially with Josh Walker already sidelined with a hamstring issue he will have scanned in the next few days.

Without him, the Shrimpers are short of options to partner Harry Cardwell and that is a situation which must be addressed if Kevin Maher’s side are to achieve anything this year.

Don’t get me wrong I fully expect Blues to be pushing for the play-offs this season and the need for building blocks should not act as an excuse for a talented group of players who showed in stages of Saturday’s game that they were more than a match for the promotion favourites.

Barnet slightly shaded a first half which was short of much goalscoring action and took the lead via a long range shot from Harry Chapman that goalkeeper Collin Andeng Ndi will have been frustrated to concede.

The talented shot-stopper has performed admirably between the sticks for the Shrimpers in recent times.

But he looked uncharacteristically shaky on Saturday, particularly with the ball at his feet.

Andeng Ndi was not helped at times by defenders and deep lying midfielders trying to be too intricate in possession when in potentially dangerous situations.

However, the Shrimpers rallied in the second half and, with Moncur on in the midfield, the visitors began to enjoy their best spell of the game in front of their outstanding travelling supporters who amazingly outnumbered those from Barnet.

That pressure soon resulted in the in-form Gus Scott-Morriss blasting home a deflected equaliser for his third goal in four games and, at that stage, Blues appeared the more likely winners.

But the Shrimpers were unable to make the most of that momentum and were quickly undone on the counter-attack which led to Mark Shelton winning and converting a penalty which ultimately condemned the visitors to their first defeat of the campaign.

Lessons will certainly have been learnt against strong opposition, including the need to be a bit more streetwise at times and quicker in possession when looking to go forward.

Blues will be aiming to quickly put that right when they return to action against Dagenham & Redbridge at Roots Hall this afternoon.

And an immediate return to winning ways would certainly ease the pain experienced in the aftermath of Saturday’s setback – which was the Shrimpers’ fourth in succession against the Bees.

Barnet were a very good side. The movement of Stead compared to our two strikers was quite staggering. They played numerous balls for him to run on to, he was dragging us around to make space for others. Something we don't do enough off.

All of their starting side were good on the ball and looked to play forward, we were too sideways too often.

We competed against a team who will win the league - we needed a fit Moncur alongside Noor and another striker who would run off the ball.

ps The linesman was attrocious think there were 10 foul throws by their number 30, foot up every time!

Collin needs to go, never been good enough,kicking is terrible and at fault for 1st goal.
Never rated him but always supported him as he wears the Southend united shirt, we need a change in that department.
You are joking right? He is the best keeper at this level. Granted his kicking wasn’t great on Saturday but we would be a worse team without him

It seems Southend supporters are not welcome on the Barnet board, which is disappointing, but it's their choice I guess. I'm not going to bother anymore, too North Korean for me.

Barnet were a very good side. The movement of Stead compared to our two strikers was quite staggering. They played numerous balls for him to run on to, he was dragging us around to make space for others. Something we don't do enough off.

All of their starting side were good on the ball and looked to play forward, we were too sideways too often.

We competed against a team who will win the league - we needed a fit Moncur alongside Noor and another striker who would run off the ball.

ps The linesman was attrocious think there were 10 foul throws by their number 30, foot up every time!
You say that they are a very good side but they beat us with a shot that Colin maybe should have saved and a dubious penalty which some have said was offside in the build up to the foul, brunt hit the crossbar and think Colin made one other save of note. I accept we didn’t create loads ourselves but we were fairly solid in defence. Barnet reminded me of York in the sense they bossed possession but actually didn’t create an awful lot in the final third. For me it’s about our attacking intent this season. Defence we are fine but it’s going forward where things need to improve and if we can get that right we can match teams like Barnet and win rather than lose these types of games

Collin needs to go, never been good enough,kicking is terrible and at fault for 1st goal.
Never rated him but always supported him as he wears the Southend united shirt, we need a change in that department.
People won’t admit it but Arnold was so much better than him and is now regular No.1 at Sutton. Arnie was worth 9 points a season extra and would take him back tomorrow!

Back