• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Barnet 2-1 Southend United

So negative. Sideways and backwards and every time we slow down the game. Barnet shifted the ball so much quicker always looked to go forward and looked so much sharper. I can only remember us having the one shot on target that Gus scored from. No midfield creativity until Moncur brought on far too late and sorry but Coker and Waldron might just have well not been there. Looks like KM is shackling us no intensity no pressing and scared to shoot. Exciting football will get the crowd going but certainly not what I saw yesterday

I think we are going to have to accept mediocracy in this league for this season. We don’t have the funds to bring in 6or7 players.
I think we are loosing sight of what the consortium have achieved already. Rome wasn’t built in a day, it will get better on the pitch.
We need to be patient (yet again) and focus on getting behind the team. I know it’s frustrating just now, but it will improve.
But that will be the same next season and the season after by all accounts so , with that in mind we need to accept mediocracy and except we are now a club that gets 7000 fans a week but play in ultimately semi pro football league … wow could you all heart in heart imagine accepting that ? Well that’s what’s happening

I think we are going to have to accept mediocracy in this league for this season. We don’t have the funds to bring in 6or7 players.
I think we are loosing sight of what the consortium have achieved already. Rome wasn’t built in a day, it will get better on the pitch.
We need to be patient (yet again) and focus on getting behind the team. I know it’s frustrating just now, but it will improve.
What your saying is true and I agree with majority of it but in reality football fans aren't patient and have never been. if we want to keep getting 7k at home games with 1k plus at away matches we do have to be better on and off the pitch ie better performances on the pitch and better recruitment of players to Southend...... fans do want to see a side with attacking intent to win football matches to, expecially in this league. Losing to barnet isn't the end of the world but maybe should be looked as wake up call to maher & co and the consortium to where this squad is at. Maybe now will see couple more signings in to give us the best chance of getting play off spot. Play offs is realistic target this season which we should all be on board with, anything else will be failure.

But that will be the same next season and the season after by all accounts so , with that in mind we need to accept mediocracy and except we are now a club that gets 7000 fans a week but play in ultimately semi pro football league … wow could you all heart in heart imagine accepting that ? Well that’s what’s happening
Not only will the fans not accept it , but also COSU, so with that in mind if it were to happen i doubt very much Maher will be in charge . Cosu want and need for SUFC to get back into the EFL as soon as practicle, i didnt say possible on purpose, as many things to be done to dear old RH. and the training ground.

I think fans were more than happy to accept we would struggle over the past few seasons because of the rat tying the club up in knots, we did afterall nearly make the play-offs last year but i think that was more to do with the siege metality than anything else.

Moving forward fans do expect to be entertained, that is the whole point of watching, if all you are going to see is a boring sideways/ slow approach attitude and just want to defend at all costs, the fans will start to drop off. Who wants to go to a game on a freezing Tuesday night in January if they wont be entertained.

It's a new regime and things will take time but Kev has added to the squad from last season but seems to only play one way and there is still no plan B in games.

This IMO needs to change, we have to have more of an atacking intent, i think we have the players it's just the way we set up and they are told to play.

First half hour it was even Stevens, we did well to pull it back second half but after that soft penalty we just lost our way. Colin got caught on his wrong foot to many times yesterday too but again we just fall short in that final third. Moncur had a superb chance when he cut inside just outside the box and created a nice bit of space to have a pop but decided to lay it off 😠. Good day out though and great to see loads of Shrimpers floating about in London.

Early doors but we seem to be continuing where we left off last season. A F1 car needs to be set up right, tyres changed when necessary and fluid instructions as the race unfolds. There is no point having a Ferrari when it's being driven by Stan from On The Buses. This team can do more and it starts with the coaches. We can't win every game but even in defeat we can look like we have a clue how to adapt to the demands that forever change over ninety minutes. We have the players and the coaches to do that but the learning curve is rising very slowly and opposition managers are getting it right far more than we are. Again.

A deserved defeat yesterday, we played to contain rather than conquer. Barnet knocked it around, more forward passes and played a lot quicker first half. Thought we missed Kensdale for his communication at the back. The ball kept going back to Collin and with the wind against had to hurry kicks as the ball approached at greater speed. Consequently a few just ballooned into the air as ball was going behind him and kicks landed between our penalty area and halfway line. They picked it up every time and drove at us and inevitably they scored. Second half it was all us as we took a grip of the midfield and they started retreating. Pressure told, headers missed by both strikers and equaliser from the reliable GSM, Moncur on and you thought this is ours to win. But no, penalty given away from Barnet’s first foray in the 70th minute and all momentum lost. We did not threaten after that, Barnet could have extended their lead, hit the bar with one effort. Our subs after Moncur weakened us and game over, 1600 trudged away as we had to listen to Barnet Fans singing 2-1 on your big day out, laughable.

Andeng-Ndi 5.5
Taylor 7.5 MOTM
Crowther 6
Ralph 7
Scott-Morriss 7
Coker 6
Miley 7
Husin 6
Bridge 5.5
Cardwell 6.5
Waldron 6

Moncur 6.5
Morton 4
Wood 3

Harry Taylor my MOTM, very composed and reads the game well. Strong showings from GSM again (a mile in front for POTS after 4 games), Ralph & Miley. John Moncur must start Monday, always a tough game against the Daggers, even if cannot last the 90 yet. Need to start strongly at home and give them no encouragement. 3 points will make the BH weekend not too bad, better than 2 draws anyway. UTB

So, it`s ok to watch sideways, backwards football is it? I`m back in Southampton after going to the game, and Barnet looked far better and more comfortable with the ball, certainly looked to go forward and lot more than us. We play too deep, if we stretched our opponents further up, we may have a chance of going forward as a unit. How many times did the kick go long and out of play today? Colin didn`t seem comfortable kicking out, and receiving back from defenders, with their players pressing, yes pressing. Even with 5 minutes to go, Barnet were banging it about to each other running ring`s around us. Even when we did get it we put it either sideways or back to Colin? We need to start having more of a go at teams, take the handbrake of a little bit Maher, and perhaps try something different? If we carry on like this all season it`s going to be boring and long. Fantastic support today, and deserve better. We can only hope that we get another established striker that knows where the onion bag is? Wood was awful today, bring him on if we are winning by a couple of goals, not chasing a game. I know it`s early day`s, but, after a few more, if this gameplay carries on a pattern will start to emerge, maybe try a plan b, at least give it a go? Forwards
Exactly this. I’m baffled how people jump on opinions of others when the point of negative play is mentioned.
Seems like you can’t have an opinion without being labelled a doom and gloom merchant!

Early doors but we seem to be continuing where we left off last season. A F1 car needs to be set up right, tyres changed when necessary and fluid instructions as the race unfolds. There is no point having a Ferrari when it's being driven by Stan from On The Buses. This team can do more and it starts with the coaches. We can't win every game but even in defeat we can look like we have a clue how to adapt to the demands that forever change over ninety minutes. We have the players and the coaches to do that but the learning curve is rising very slowly and opposition managers are getting it right far more than we are. Again.
Are sure it's Stan driving it might be Olive!

Not only will the fans not accept it , but also COSU, so with that in mind if it were to happen i doubt very much Maher will be in charge . Cosu want and need for SUFC to get back into the EFL as soon as practicle, i didnt say possible on purpose, as many things to be done to dear old RH. and the training ground.
No , you’ve miss understood if we have a budget set that won’t allow you to create a team that nothing other than mid- average it doesn’t matter who manages the club you can’t get a silk purse out of a sows ear, you can sign as many jack woods or Walden’s as you want .. they will never score or play the game in the method that you need for the club to be in contention (if that makes sense )

My concern is in a year or two if we don’t compete our support will start to dwindle. Ultimately it is going to be extremely difficult to become sustainable for COSU without getting promotion so realistically they need to invest fairly heavily now to give us the best chance of going up.

Time reflecting this morning and having watched @D1versity and office highlights. To start with Barnet have a large budget and clearly have improved their squad. They now have strength and depth in the bench and in the stands. We are still working progress and are probably 2 or 3 short of being in a similar position. Having spoke to Justin yesterday he said they are working hard on a few deals to get us what we need in that respect

The game itself was a game of two halves in some ways. First half we simply never got hold of the ball and keep it well enough meaning Barnet were constantly on the front foot. However I don’t recall Colin having to make a save and having seen the goal again Colin probably should have done better. Our one chance saw Cardwells shot blocked and seeing it again without the block I think it would have gone in. So although Barnet controlled the game 1-0 at Ht was probably about right

Second half we played further up the pitch and interestingly their comms said after the goal that the goal was coming so at the time again without creating too much we were on the front foot. What did we not play like that first half? After the goal we had a good 5 minute spell before they went the other end and got the penalty. There is defo a hint of offside and although Taylor grabbed the guy he made the most of it to win the penalty. Again Colin made a strange attempt to save it. Thereafter we never really looked like getting back in the game. Spoke to Barnet fans at the station and they said we were much better than FGR and said at least we tried to play football so maybe we’ve been a bit harsh on ourselves

But, I still feel the shackles need to be released. We play so much better when on the front foot and passing the ball quicker. Moncur defo could be the answer and I’d love him to start Monday. We are at home and infront of another 7000 crowd. We need to get at the Daggers early and get infront

So yes a frustrating day and clearly a few tweaks to be made and improvements to the staring 11 and bench need to be found. Barnet will be up there for sure but just like last year they’ve beaten us by a narrow margin. Fine lines in football

It's odd I'm nearly 50 years old and have never ever considered football 'Entertainment'
Films, TV, theatre etc etc then yes.
But my football is about community, collective effort, representing my town/city. There has never been a guarantee of Entertainment for any football team ever.
Some teams are are entertaining I suppose but few and far between, especially in the National league.
I don't watch Premier league football but I imagine it's not very entertaining watching city take the mick for 9 months and lift the title every year.

Back