• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Barnet 2-1 Southend United

Our 2 best attacking outlets were humbled in their individual battles yesterday. (Bridge, Cards)
Ralph and Collin uncharacteristically poor.

I've not been overly impressed with Cav this calendar year, do worry the injury has really affected him.
Part of me wonders if it's because he set himself such a high bar and his weekly 8/10s have become 6's

Thought Barnet's 2,10,25 were superb, as was their pressing as a team.
Footballing wise I didn't think there was much between the teams.
But their confidence in possession, workrate and will out of posession was much greater and that won them the game.

Still early days. Tough opening to the season. Bench options have to improve.

Despite the comments towards several members of the squad not being good enough for this level there is only the 1 whom I'd agree on. Wood is well out of his depth, get him back on loan to NLS (Isth Prem) once we've got our signings complete and he's no longer the attacker we rely on off the bench.

Had a good read through your post match comments and you all seem fair in the main from what you saw yesterday and the shortcomings of your side atm. You have to remember that we are now into our 3rd season of slowly evolving the side improving the side. Benefiting from financial windfall of players sold on via Peterborough meaning budget available. However it's taken time. You will hopefully be able to do the same. Interestingly looking at some players who some of your fans thought played well, Harry Taylor for example is a steady eddy but if Maher can improve and evolve the squad to the higher levels players like him are no more than fringe players. Considering what your club has endured I'm not sure how he could of recruited in the summer seems impossible. Take you time to upgrade.

Nice to see the away end full up, 1,600 ish, good numbers, proportionately be like us bringing 350 to Roots Hall I guess.

Best of luck for the season

Had a good read through your post match comments and you all seem fair in the main from what you saw yesterday and the shortcomings of your side atm. You have to remember that we are now into our 3rd season of slowly evolving the side improving the side. Benefiting from financial windfall of players sold on via Peterborough meaning budget available. However it's taken time. You will hopefully be able to do the same. Interestingly looking at some players who some of your fans thought played well, Harry Taylor for example is a steady eddy but if Maher can improve and evolve the squad to the higher levels players like him are no more than fringe players. Considering what your club has endured I'm not sure how he could of recruited in the summer seems impossible. Take you time to upgrade.

Nice to see the away end full up, 1,600 ish, good numbers, proportionately be like us bringing 350 to Roots Hall I guess.

Best of luck for the season
Taylor's arguably been our best player, and certainly best defender for the past year.

I think it's time for some perspective. Like it or not, we are a work in progress who are playing huge catch-up, on and off the field. Despite all of that, we really aren't that far off.

In contrast, Barnet are ahead of us. It really doesn't matter that we outnumbered their fans, we need to get out of that headspace. They accumulated an incredible 83 points last season and scored a whopping 91 goals. They've then gone out and added to that impressive team. They are better than us and it's as simple as that. Many on here don't want to accept it because we are a bigger club than them, but it's the simple facts. I was standing there yesterday thinking, there isn't much between us, but they had that little extra. They did last season too. It's that little extra that gets you over the line. We got narrowly beaten by the favourites for the league title, it doesn't make us a bad side.

Also, I really can't understand anyone on here that said they didn't want Brunt back. Every time he has played against us (Borehamwood and Barnet) he's made things happen. He really linked the midfield and the attack yesterday, something we didn't do. I also really didn't understand why 'fans' booed him and Hayes. Both players were loanees and came in when we were in a right mess. Absolute lunacy by the minority there.

Overall, we narrowly lost to a team that will be in the top 3. We had a player in midfield who had operations and no preseason. We then bring on the likes of Wood, who really isn't up to it. Their bench, like York, was far better. We just have to accept where we are at during this transition. This result will not define our season.

Listened to the game yesterday, and seems to me that we have not yet gelled this season and we are a long way behind other clubs at this point in the season. The lack of any resources most clubs have to underpin their teams is now blatantly evident on the pitch. What you see is the result of 25 years of poor management and asset stripping by a certain ratman. as a result, we have to buy in our developing players with potential, as we can no longer rely on a thriving academy of talent we have nurtured. That means that the list of young players being named and shamed (unfairly!), have not had the chance of playing a couple of years of B team competition together so are developing and making their mistakes in full view of a critical fan base. Doesnt mean John Still has lost his touch, or these players haven't got what it takes. It just means that we are playing catch up in every part of the club, and we dont have the strength in depth, or the money short term to compete with a very strong Barnet side who have spent big over the summer to reinforce an already strong squad.

I dont buy the "Kev plays negative crab football" argument. He plays things safe, and there are times where we dont have the creative outlet on the field, so we keep hold of the ball and it becomes slow, boring and predictable. But no one was moaning last year when we had the best defensive record in the division and we should have been firmly in the playoffs! Same manager, same tactics!

We do need to strengthen and bring in experience, if that is affordable. I believe that bringing in reinforcements is going to be the plan, and if it means we need to send a couple out on loan, or sell a couple of players on, then so be it. For me, it is still a midfield issue - too many defensive minded players and not enough creative spark in the squad at the moment, but overall, given we have played 3 teams so far who I think will in the mix at the end of the season I am still not concerned. Its august, not april!!

I thought the difference between us and Barnet, was their attack. They had bags of pace and plenty of width, something we drastically lack at the moment.

Communication between Colin and the backline was poor, and for the love of god can we just clear our lines instead of always looking to pass our way out of trouble.

Taylor and Miley were our standouts yesterday. I’m not sure what the Barnet fans saw in Taylor to suggest he was poor, because without him we’d have probably shipped more. His reading of the game is first class. GSM was decent too, but seemed to fade away.

Bridge seems a shadow of himself at the moment. I’m not sure if he’s being marked out of games, or he’s lost half a step, but he’s just not as creative down the wing as he has been In previous seasons.

Waldron had a tough afternoon. Chased plenty, but half the time he looked like he was running through treacle. Should have done better with his one and only chance.

I thought we were the better team in the second half without really doing much. We got a deserved equaliser and then looked like we’d go on to win it, but the momentum shifted following the pen. We didn’t look like we believed we could get back into it again after that.

Reactions: TSG
Just watched full replay and got to say Barnet did not look as good as they did live and we looked just as cra p as we did live!

John Moncur must start Monday, always a tough game against the Daggers, even if cannot last the 90 yet. Need to start strongly at home and give them no encouragement. 3 points will make the BH weekend not too bad, better than 2 draws anyway. UTB

Just a bit of humour perhaps our players’ dads should play their players dads as a bit of pre match entertainment 😲

I have just watched the full game on NLTv and I cannot believe some of the comments on here complaining about that performance. We gave them a hard game and stopped them having many chances on goal. Barnet controlled more than we did but you would expect that at home but we defended well and closed down well all over the pitch. As some have said we didn't have the strength on the bench to make a difference whereas their subs slotted right in without any detriment in performance.
I also watched Barnet v Forest Green and we played much better than FGR did against them.
I was not as disheartened watching that display as I was reading this thread.

I have just watched the full game on NLTv and I cannot believe some of the comments on here complaining about that performance. We gave them a hard game and stopped them having many chances on goal. Barnet controlled more than we did but you would expect that at home but we defended well and closed down well all over the pitch. As some have said we didn't have the strength on the bench to make a difference whereas their subs slotted right in without any detriment in performance.
I also watched Barnet v Forest Green and we played much better than FGR did against them.
I was not as disheartened watching that display as I was reading this thread.
I wouldn’t say we closed down well especially compared to our usual intensity. You could even see some players getting frustrated by others not doing it. We rarely won a second ball either throughout the game and kept going long ball far too often

Back