• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Barnet 2-1 Southend United

Agreed Coker … came in as a stop gap somehow stayed lovely lad local hero done good , good enough ? No ..
Coker has been reprogrammed so well that no one can remember that he used to do his best work on the edge of the opposition box and looked like he could be a 10 plus goals a season player ! Now no shots per match is the new normal for Coker , just my opinion of course.

Been a fan of Wood, but he was utter pony when he came on today. We will win most games against the poorer teams this season, but the current squad won’t compete against the other top sides. We pay them too much respect.

Play offs at best I think, unless we bring in another couple of attack minded players.

We have a very tough start in terms of fixtures, so let see where we are after Monday.
I think that’s a great point we do pay the players too much respect, for some they are untouchable and nothing negative can be said, but it should be. We lack everything a good attacking, goal scoring side does. The defence hasn’t been a problem whatsoever but for all the individual quality we have in midfield especially, we have no creativity and we haven’t addressed that. Moncur does look like he could provide that intent and spark but he is still a way off being fit enough to start and no where near ready for 90mins. As others have said, we will beat the rubbish teams, which we should and I know Barnet are fancied for promotion and undoubtedly a good team, we take over their ground, we deserve and should expect better, sorry but that’s just my take on it…

I'm still not 100% convinced our coaching setup is good enough. Man management I think we have the best I've ever seen and I love them all to bits, but I dont think were capable of really breaking tough teams down, very one dimensionsal. I take it with a pinch of salt given our squad situation but I hope in time were able to adapt and change in game, as I am yet to see that happen

I'm still not 100% convinced our coaching setup is good enough. Man management I think we have the best I've ever seen and I love them all to bits, but I dont think were capable of really breaking tough teams down, very one dimensionsal. I take it with a pinch of salt given our squad situation but I hope in time were able to adapt and change in game, as I am yet to see that happen
Yeah I agree we never change formation or the system with like for like subs it’s 352 or bust with Maher he’s to stubborn to change

Coker has been reprogrammed so well that no one can remember that he used to do his best work on the edge of the opposition box and looked like he could be a 10 plus goals a season player ! Now no shots per match is the new normal for Coker , just my opinion of course.
Spot on. We pretty much know Kev doesn’t like players shooting outside area when a square pass is on. Shame as oli has had the spontaneity coached out of his game already.

Yeah I agree we never change formation or the system with like for like subs it’s 352 or bust with Maher he’s to stubborn to change
I'd like to see a plan B for being a goal down with 10-15 minutes to go , which involves no passing back and maybe sideways unless absolutely necessary, just a lot more intent on attacking generally, so not looking like we're the team running the clock down!

I think we are going to have to accept mediocracy in this league for this season. We don’t have the funds to bring in 6or7 players.
I think we are loosing sight of what the consortium have achieved already. Rome wasn’t built in a day, it will get better on the pitch.
We need to be patient (yet again) and focus on getting behind the team. I know it’s frustrating just now, but it will improve.

For me, the alarm bells that were ringing on Tuesday against Boston rang again today. That's why other teams will spank Boston and we didn't.

Until we get a better forward looking midfield then expect more of the same as today and don't be surprised when it is delivered.

One thing that I always find interesting is how individuals watch the same game but have such diverse assessments on the performance of the team or individuals.
Personally to weigh up my own impressions I like to acquaint myself with the post match assessments of Clarky or Glenn who have played and understand the game from a professional level.
Despite their individual association and attachment to the Club you get a balanced, knowledgeable, honest, emotionally controlled warts and all reflection of the performance.
It would be fair to say GP would not be in agreement with a large number of the more extreme negative opinions expressed about individuals or the team performance today. Whilst not shy to highlight the deficiencies the positives were there also, delivered with a constructive rational.
Having taken GP's summary into consideration, his overview compares more with how I saw things today, admittedly more favourably than I did in certain areas, but nowhere near some of the doomslayer opinions or unrealistic expectations expressed, given where we are with the depth of the squad and its lack of quality from the bench to influence and change games we went head to head with most people's favourite for promotion and came close to gaining a point away from home, unfortunately we gave away a penalty and then failed to take the opportunities for another equaliser that presented themselves.
Now no way am I advocating that our ambition for the season should be happy to pick a point up against the fancied candidates for the playoff spots but we have to have the quality in the squad to match the ambition to achieve more and as of yet we're obviously not there, hopefully the key word is yet!

A frustrating afternoon in the end. Another huge following in the away end left disappointed for the second season running. In truth for all their recruitment and money spent I didn’t think Barnet looked anything special. Yes they moved the ball around well as did we at times but they were more proactive and moved the ball quicker than us and that was a big difference. Although Barnet dominated the ball at times they didn’t create an awful lot. Thought Colin could have done better with the first goal and his kicking was way off today. Defence all in all did ok and limited Barnet to a few chances.

Midfield just didn’t work today. Thought Coker and Husin were off colour so would have liked to see Moncur all earlier if nit at HT. Up top Cardwell and Waldron worked hard but were fed off scraps.

In saying that when we equalised I did think we’d get a draw and be happy with that. But some hesitant defending cost us although I did hear someone say there was an offside in the build up to the penalty.

So in the end we left with nothing. Very much like last season there is little between the two teams. However Barnet played with more pace and freedom. Too many times we go backwards, sideways, backwards again etc. We don’t have anyone who can get hold of the ball and drive forward through the middle of the park.

Mom for me was GSM. 3 goals now and has the ability to be in the right place at the right time. Thought Bridge had a poor game today and continued his indifferent start to the season. Daggers on Monday will be a tough game but we should be capable of getting the three points. If able to then Moncur should start.

For those saying we aren’t good enough to make the play offs after 4 games, behave. This league is wide open this season, but we do need to change our style of play. We need to play with more urgency, get the ball forward quicker. Like many teams we look better going forward when we play with pace. So Tough afternoon, but we move on to Monday

On the rattler up to Kingsbury I was pleased to see several Southend shirts.

Several hours after the game, in central London, I saw plenty of Southend shirts, among a sea of West Ham, Spurs & Arsenal shirts.

We lost a game of football, sure, but I was proud as **** to be a Shrimper tonight.

Our fans are second to none. We are inevitable.

I have to be honest and I’m open to criticism, but our lack of attacking intent against stronger opponents is becoming a bit tiresome, it is embarrassing how much respect we pay these teams almost as if we know they’re a good footballing side so we’ll frustrate them instead of giving them a footballing battle.. our team has got creativity in abundance but yet we keep the handbrake on and almost as if our priorities lie in a clean sheet instead of scoring 5.. we won’t go up as champions and probably not playoffs with this style of football (safety).

I saw Gateshead won 3-1 again today - they’re not afraid to ship the odd goal but my lord they’re putting serious numbers into the back of the net and are playing exactly how a team looking for promotion should play (no risk no reward) exactly as Stockport did, Wrexham did, Notts did, and Chesterfield did.. I have no doubt we will win against lesser teams but we need to start getting at these higher quality teams and create changes, also passing the ball a bit quicker wouldn’t be a bad idea either..

Besides the negativity to end it on a light note - our support is unmatched and to outnumber the home support challenging for promotion is unbelievable.
I don't think it's the players that are an issue its how we use them, the team setup/formation and the attacking mentality. So basically what he said.

Oh how I long for the Barry fry / webb days where yes we might let a few in but we attacked, were clever with passing moves, had good pace and width and move players forward to support and score.

Maybe im wrong but at present im a half full glass and probably a little on the side of Wiggy, i dont get to see the matches unless on NLTV, so i take note of all the posts, Yes we are only 4 games into the season ,but the only really happy posts ive read was after the Boston game, I dont wish to knock Maher and co as they have been great the past two seasons when severely handicapped and along with COSU have saved this club from demise, But he now needs to release the chains he has the players under allow them to express themselves more and not be robotic in the way we play, As been pointed out Coker used to love a shot from edge of the area ,wheres that gone, he looked like he was going to be a good goal scoring midfielder somehing we are desparately missing, tactic wise Maher needs to show more ,yes Wiggy from the matches i watched last season and from Diversity i some what agree hes a Southgate clone. but with less talented players i may add. Says a lot to me when our LWB is our top scorer. I said preseason i will give Maher time this season is make or break for him ,i have never expected promotion this season but i do expect a top 5 finish anything less and it will be a failure in my eyes .

Cricko rightly wonders what Waldron, Morton and Wood bring to the team. Add Mooney, Powell and possibly Fonguck and you seriously have to wonder if John Still is as smart as people say he is.
'you seriously have to wonder if John Still is as smart as people say he is.'
How much is his recruitment affected by the money available to sign players? I doubt if we are able to offer wages high enough to tempt players to join us from either League 1 or League 2 and bringing in players from a lower level is always something of a gamble.
I doubt if any of Waldron Morton Wood Powell or Fonguck were expensive signings (as I remember there was competition for Mooney's signature so he might have cost more). We are neither Wrexham or Barnet and that must limit who we can hope to recruit.
The season is young and losing 2/1 away to Barnet is hardly the end of the world? Is it?

GSM is just a machine. Surely, he can play anywhere on the pitch?

Noor and Coker off the boil

Taylor was class.

Watching us yesterday. We play like a lower league version of England. Too much ****ing about at the back. The first goal came from us ****ing about too much at the back and lost the ball in dangerous areas. I forget how many times this occurred during the game.

Hayes in goal for Barnet was suspect with his kicking forgot the amount of times he fluffed it.

At the end of the day. Barnet was the better team cut us open so many times. The speed they play the ball.

Bad day at the office. We win on Monday all forgotten about. If we lose......................

Lastly, what an absolute bell end the Barnet manager is. The way he acted during the game. Give him his due the whole game he kept it going.

Above sums it up. If we convincingly beat Daggers tomorrow it’s all forgotten and Maher is a tactical genius. Get on a run and players’ confidence improves. To me, it looks like we’re still in second gear and haven’t clicked. We do have it in us to attack and play on the front foot, was doubtful that’d happen for Barnet away but at home we should definitely be going for it. File this away, learn from it. Shame we couldn’t avenge last seasons double for the many fans we took to the Hive. Barnet though are likely to be up challenging and look decent (as did York).

Back