• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings AFC Fylde 2-1 Southend United

Times I've watched Southend under maher (which haven't been many) Southend aren't exactly front footed side, lots of sideways backwards passing which leads to nothing. When I watched Southend vs dag reg last season couldn't believe how deep we were sitting considering we are the home side against local rival. It took us until last 30 minutes of the second half to push up 10 yards further up the pitch to attack. Does appear to be similar trend to Southend games, start negative then have go in last half hour. Not great sign if we are looking to challenge for the play offs.

That is quite obviously a cop out. You can criticise all you want mate, but it's hot air isn't it? If you aren't going to stick your money where your mouth is and suggest a credible alternative, what is the point?

If I said to you why have we not considered rotating the pitch 90 degrees, you'll tell me I am an idiot because that will not work. This seems like quite a similar situation, but you've suggested rotating it 270 degrees...

Edit:

Have a look at the volume of criticism of Maher on here vs support, if anything you're in the majority these days - after less than 10 games!!! Football fans aren't fickle at all...
But it isn't 10 games. It's 3+ seasons

Yes it rarely works chopping and changing. But a change of manager can work wonders. We've had 3-4 years of Maher.
Respectfully, I disagree, if one avoids taking a short-termist view. It isn't the recipe for success. Teams will have good seasons and bad anyway. The management replacement cycle is illusory but sadly built into the English football model.

Times I've watched Southend under maher (which haven't been many) Southend aren't exactly front footed side, lots of sideways backwards passing which leads to nothing. When I watched Southend vs dag reg last season couldn't believe how deep we were sitting considering we are the home side against local rival. It took us until last 30 minutes of the second half to push up 10 yards further up the pitch to attack. Does appear to be similar trend to Southend games, start negative then have go in last half hour. Not great sign if we are looking to challenge for the play offs.

I respect your view, and the openness that you admit you don’t attend many games. But, as you don’t actually watch the team often, it does make it difficult to understand how you can come to a conclusion that the style of play “leads to nothing”. We took points from 33 of 46 games last season playing to this style. That’s reasonably effective I would say. It wasn’t good enough for auto promotion or to quite make the play offs (due to points deduction), but it was an identity and style I thought we would build on this season. So far, we haven’t. The players would be the first to admit things aren’t good enough and they need to do better, but not I don’t think we need to be judging their pedigree just yet. Can’t help but feel their confidence would increase if we didn’t boo at the end of a defeat and shout **** at them from the stands every time they make a mistake. Some people saying players need to take more responsibility on the ball, but when they do and make a mistake they are vilified for it.

The negativity on here astounds me.

Last Tuesday we slapped 2nd placed Eastleigh all over Roots Hall and ran out comfortable winners.

We then moved on to Saturday and slapped Sutton all over Roots Hall for 44 minutes and then got caught cold for an equaliser. A further mistake left us chasing the game which led to a lack of cover at the back and a 3-1 loss.

Last night was probably the worst performance of the lot but even then we dominated for long spells in the 2nd half and again only lost when we were pushing for the win.

Now we have people who have moaned about us sitting back and playing sideways and backwards but when we then attack and go for the win but lose as a result then people moan about that as well. Players that were considered world beaters last week are also now not good enough and we need some level of meathead thuggery in the middle of the park to survive in the NL.

Honestly I do despair sometimes.

I don't like the fact that some fans aren't happy with those who critical of management or players. End of the day you pay your money so your entitled to your opinion..... lets be honest it hasn't been great start and yesterday result was poor 1. Its true the squad is undercooked and is lacking in certain areas but there should be enough quality out on the pitch to produce more than 2 wins this season. Can't be losing to sides like fylde and expect everyone to go unlucky lads on to the next 1, there does unfortunately need to be element of criticism even to make those aware ie the players/management this isn't good enough currently. If I went to fylde last night and witnessed that type of performance I wouldn't be happy either. Can't always be positive comments I'm afraid.

Correct on the last bit, but you forgot couldn't control, tackle or last 90 minutes! He's not even getting a full game for Ebbsfleet!
Football isn't an exact science. It is a team game and Bridge, who is our main attacking threat, still seems lost without Wes. In fact, our whole midfield looks flat without him. He continually found space in the pockets between midfield and attack and his understanding with Bridge benefitted us hugely because it meant the opposition had a dilemma over who should pick up who. The best example of this was the home game against Altrincham where they were unplayable, overlapping and underlapping and an exchange which led to the winning goal, scored by Wes.

Our left side is too predictable at the moment. The opposition can man-mark Bridge or double up, knowing that the midfield is flat and unwilling to break forward quickly enough. I'm a big fan of Moncur but he's not the upgrade I thought he would be at present.

I don't give a damn about Ebbsfleet. The fact is, our team plays a system that needs a player who can open up defences with his movement alone to get the best out of Bridge. Last season it was Wes, this season it's um...

I don't like the fact that some fans aren't happy with those who critical of management or players. End of the day you pay your money so your entitled to your opinion..... lets be honest it hasn't been great start and yesterday result was poor 1. Its true the squad is undercooked and is lacking in certain areas but there should be enough quality out on the pitch to produce more than 2 wins this season. Can't be losing to sides like fylde and expect everyone to go unlucky lads on to the next 1, there does unfortunately need to be element of criticism even to make those aware ie the players/management this isn't good enough currently. If I went to fylde last night and witnessed that type of performance I wouldn't be happy either. Can't always be positive comments I'm afraid.
This appears to be a flavour of the day comment on this thread. It's simple really, if you decide you want to criticise the Management or players, fair enough, that's your opinion. But the converse is true and if others don't agree they are also entitled to say so. That's how public football boards should work.

The negativity on here astounds me.

Last Tuesday we slapped 2nd placed Eastleigh all over Roots Hall and ran out comfortable winners.

We then moved on to Saturday and slapped Sutton all over Roots Hall for 44 minutes and then got caught cold for an equaliser. A further mistake left us chasing the game which led to a lack of cover at the back and a 3-1 loss.

Last night was probably the worst performance of the lot but even then we dominated for long spells in the 2nd half and again only lost when we were pushing for the win.

Now we have people who have moaned about us sitting back and playing sideways and backwards but when we then attack and go for the win but lose as a result then people moan about that as well. Players that were considered world beaters last week are also now not good enough and we need some level of meathead thuggery in the middle of the park to survive in the NL.

Honestly I do despair sometimes.

Some great results from a team that ‘slapped’ opponents.

At the end of the day, for the club / Kev it’s a results business, and two losses there. For the ‘footballing department’ it’s sourcing players, quite a poor selection of signings… For strikers it’s a goals business, no goals there. I could go on, but you should get it…

Have they released the coach driver yet🤣🤣 I heard they left him up there as they had 2 drivers🤣🤣
We were on the BOT coach and we had two drivers. They were trying to assist the Team coach which was SBC. ironically The Trust coach which was an SBC coach went off straight away. My understanding is that Kev didnt want the driver accused of the drone situ on the coach but he was the one that was due to drive the coach home. This meant that the first driver only had 3 hours driving time left which meant SBC having to send a new driver to meet the team coach half way. When we eventually left the Team coach was still there so no idea what happened in the end. Either way it summed up a pretty shambolic evening

Coming in without having read anything. Have to say that I was quite impressed with the way Fylde played, especially on the break. This was helped by some sloppy stuff by us in the first forty-five , giving the ball away and failing to hold it up when we attacked (post-Cardwell syndrome). Not suprised when their forwards got it together and eventually scored at the end of the half. We must have had a rocket at half-time and came out much better and on the front foot for the second period. We deservedly equalised, by who else but Gus and were the better side for most of the second-half. Unfortunately the best chance then fell to him again and, on his present for you'd have had him to put it in the back of the net, rather than over the bar.
Although bitterly disappointed about the result, I wasn't too disappointed about the method of the defeat. For those critics of KM who call him too defensive, they can't have it both ways. By the substitutions we went all out for a winner and that probably resulted in out defeat. Fylde found more space as we pushed forward and sensed, in the later stages that they could also win it. It of course helped them to have the League's top scorer and he duly obliged with a great finish, painfully right at the death. Who can say that if we had tried to defend a point we would have still still ended losing all three? The most worrying thing for me, coming away from the game, was the possible injury to Gus, that's a LOT more worrying than losing the points. We must be desperate to get someone in for the weekend.

Back