• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings AFC Fylde 2-1 Southend United

The negativity on here astounds me.

Last Tuesday we slapped 2nd placed Eastleigh all over Roots Hall and ran out comfortable winners.

We then moved on to Saturday and slapped Sutton all over Roots Hall for 44 minutes and then got caught cold for an equaliser. A further mistake left us chasing the game which led to a lack of cover at the back and a 3-1 loss.

Last night was probably the worst performance of the lot but even then we dominated for long spells in the 2nd half and again only lost when we were pushing for the win.

Now we have people who have moaned about us sitting back and playing sideways and backwards but when we then attack and go for the win but lose as a result then people moan about that as well. Players that were considered world beaters last week are also now not good enough and we need some level of meathead thuggery in the middle of the park to survive in the NL.

Honestly I do despair sometimes.
I know there's been some overreaction on here but I don't think we've slapped anyone all over Roots Hall .. yes we dominated vs Eastleigh but if we hadn't got that second goal, timing of which was crucial, we might've been looking at similar circumstances to the Sutton match. Fine margins. We need to be putting teams away, especially when we have multiple chances - we just seem to be constantly hanging on and you get the feeling we're 1 mistake/slip away from disaster. I certainly haven't put my feet up and lit a cigar at any point.

I know there's been some overreaction on here but I don't think we've slapped anyone all over Roots Hall .. yes we dominated vs Eastleigh but if we hadn't got that second goal, timing of which was crucial, we might've been looking at similar circumstances to the Sutton match. Fine margins. We need to be putting teams away, especially when we have multiple chances - we just seem to be constantly hanging on and you get the feeling we're 1 mistake/slip away from disaster. I certainly haven't put my feet up and lit a cigar at any point.
I can't remember the last time we walloped (sic) anyone tbh.

You know what they say about continually doing the same thing and getting different results? If as a fan I can predict how we are going to play every game then so will the opposition. We have some solid players there but how they play needs to change! Some of these teams we have played realistically should be dead and buried long before we get tired and get a bit lapse yet we do not afford ourselves the luxury. If thats how Kev wants them to play or they just ignore him, either way he needs to take a big look into himself for the answer.

You know what they say about continually doing the same thing and getting different results? If as a fan I can predict how we are going to play every game then so will the opposition. We have some solid players there but how they play needs to change! Some of these teams we have played realistically should be dead and buried long before we get tired and get a bit lapse yet we do not afford ourselves the luxury. If thats how Kev wants them to play or they just ignore him, either way he needs to take a big look into himself for the answer.
Got to get that steamroller 1st half press back. That's the way Kevs style works. If everyone isn't pressing then its slow dull and sideways, and ultimately we can't score and start to lose games.

Of course! There's been some disappointing performances and those individuals will know it as much as any of us. Maher is now in a position where he can make changes to the defence and offer more width in attack but that has had knock on effects as a settled team is now experiencing disruption. Others have correctly identified injuries and losing Cardwell and Kensdale without much agency as other disruptions

I think there are observable deficiencies that COULD be criticised, some will choose to do so, others wont. There are certainly improvements to be made but there's enough games to make them too.

1469874-Gerard-Houllier-Quote-We-don-t-destroy-our-heroes-today-when-we.jpg

...uhh, nor do they about giving Wes 90 minutes.
Which players do you know, who when fit, consistently never play a full game?
And in Mr F's case, over three seasons?
My post was based on what Wes offered when on the pitch.

It's interesting that John-Lewis of York is mainly used as a sub. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing he's fully fit but seemingly less effective when he starts. That's the beauty and beast of modern-day football and why I describe it as not being an exact science.

Yes it rarely works chopping and changing. But a change of manager can work wonders. We've had 3-4 years of Maher.

And during his tenure we’ve steadily improved year-on-year. That’s not an opinion, it’s a fact.

Defensively, we have improved. Maher’s first season, we shipped 61 goals. In the previous two, we’ve only conceded 45 in each - making us one of the best defences in the league on both occasions.

Attacking wise, we have improved too. Goals scored in his first season - a meagre 45. Second season that figure crept up to 57 and last term we bagged 70.

The squad has continued to improve too.

Maher started life with Josh Coulson, James Dunne, Nathan Ferguson, Hamzad Kargbo, Terrell Egbri, Tom Clifford, Rhys Murphy.

We axed these and moved forward with the likes of Ollie Kensdale, Louis Lomas, Dan Mooney, Cav Miley, Harry Cardwell, Callum Powell, Noor Husin, Gus Scott Morris.

We have lost the majority of those and strengthened in the main: Adam Crowther, George Moncur, Josh Walker, Macauley Bonne, James Morton, KAF. We are/were short of players to begin with, without losing Miley, Cardwell & Kensdale at the same time.

I’ll reiterate, we are steadily improving year-on-year. It’s been a very mixed start to this season, sure. It’s frustrating & disheartening to lose to teams like Sutton and Fylde, but we are just 9 games in. We went a third of the season unbeaten last year. Nobody wanted Maher out then… apart from those who’d held some weird grudge against him since his playing days.

And during his tenure we’ve steadily improved year-on-year. That’s not an opinion, it’s a fact.

Defensively, we have improved. Maher’s first season, we shipped 61 goals. In the previous two, we’ve only conceded 45 in each - making us one of the best defences in the league on both occasions.

Attacking wise, we have improved too. Goals scored in his first season - a meagre 45. Second season that figure crept up to 57 and last term we bagged 70.

The squad has continued to improve too.

Maher started life with Josh Coulson, James Dunne, Nathan Ferguson, Hamzad Kargbo, Terrell Egbri, Tom Clifford, Rhys Murphy.

We axed these and moved forward with the likes of Ollie Kensdale, Louis Lomas, Dan Mooney, Cav Miley, Harry Cardwell, Callum Powell, Noor Husin, Gus Scott Morris.

We have lost the majority of those and strengthened in the main: Adam Crowther, George Moncur, Josh Walker, Macauley Bonne, James Morton, KAF. We are/were short of players to begin with, without losing Miley, Cardwell & Kensdale at the same time.

I’ll reiterate, we are steadily improving year-on-year. It’s been a very mixed start to this season, sure. It’s frustrating & disheartening to lose to teams like Sutton and Fylde, but we are just 9 games in. We went a third of the season unbeaten last year. Nobody wanted Maher out then… apart from those who’d held some weird grudge against him since his playing days.
I think that's part of the problem, this year the signings (and losing cards and kens) feel like we've taken a step backwards.

Clinging to the hope that its a lack of fitness thing and when they are all up to speed we should be ok.

A football team doesn't play very well for a few games and the end of the world is nigh... The ability of some to luxuriate in their own misery is something to behold. What short memories people have. A few short months ago, we very nearly didn't have a club to support. Through their twisted logic, perhaps that would have made certain masochistic posters happy. I, for one, am grateful I have a team to be disappointed in when it lets in an injury-time winner.

Many of these lads are the same heroes who stuck by this club in its hour of need, playing without pay. Never forget.

@Cricko was spot on with his post. We're just not very good at the moment. With all that has gone on, how could we be? Others have listed the numerous reasons why. The Dunkerque spirit/siege mentality cannot be sustained forever. I would join the call for patience, but I'm aware that word isn't in the vocabulary of the Zoners who descend on the site after defeat.
I’d say Southend supporters are the most patient of fans, try backing up 5 years to what us fans have put up with on and off the pitch,to get beat is one thing, lack of efforts on goal and boring build up play is another.

Not sure why why some of the usual suspects are blaming Collin for us losing. If they understood the game they might ask why the guy that crossed the ball (first time of course) had so much time and space to stroll in and head the return ball in our net. Gubbins asleep and Ralph unaware. Crowther could have also been stronger at the near post.

In the pre-match thread Kev should have been dropping at least 8 players but I had no problem with the starting line up. It was right that Bonne should start asap and with badly cut head it was time for Pebble to be on the bench.
For those that have sneered about Bonne the had a good chance denied with the block of the night, forced the save if the night with near post header from a corner and cushioned a lovely header down for our goal.

The difference in the two sides that Fylde with a new manger bounce got plenty of white shirts forward to often out number us whilst we at times had only one available for any cross. Equally they had time to organise their defence because we have to have at least 10 touches they broke with pace and purpose.

The one exception was when Husin looked up and launched great ball for our goal. It came after our only real spell of pressure but that is exactly how you score more goals.....Creat enough chances and keep the oppo under pressure. If we had been winning or even drawing at the time that Fylde clearance would have ended up back with Collin.

For those that love 4-4-2 or that annoying buzz term "Plan B'.... Turns out its not always better and sometimes makes things worse. Gubbins for Pebble is no problem but that means is best not to take off Morton and leave on Husin. Why really boils down to is the quality of the tools and who's hands are they in. Good personnel produce bettered results whether its Plan A, B or C

That aside any contact sport is all about solid defence over the right amount of aggression in attack.....We can't seem to work that out at the moment.

I’d say Southend supporters are the most patient of fans, try backing up 5 years to what us fans have put up with on and off the pitch,to get beat is one thing, lack of efforts on goal and boring build up play is another.
I understand the frustration. All of us as Southend fans have been through the mincer these last five years. But there's also some nonsense being written that shows little knowledge of football, some of it verging on the hysterical and nihilistic.

The problem is we really are a side that are very Jekyll and Hide as in you don't know just what you are going to get first or second half.

Most the time it's good first half and then God awful second half or it's the complete reverse

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but as others have pointed out there was a good understanding between Ralph, Bridge and Fonguck on the left that often led to goal scoring chances being created. Wes's main fault was inconsistency.
It more often led to 3 or 4 blues players all in the corner with only 1 or 2 outnumbered in the box whilst entertaining it became to predictable and easy to defend against imo

It more often led to 3 or 4 blues players all in the corner with only 1 or 2 outnumbered in the box whilst entertaining it became to predictable and easy to defend against imo
Last night late on there were about 6 red shirts in the far left corner trying to play keep ball and only GSM in the box.

I think it was not long into the 2nd half that 4 red shirts were all drawn very close to a white one just outside and to the right of our box

so the crowd was 1088 of which around 180-200 were from us. Think thats the smallest league crowd ive ever watched Southend play in front of. Anyone think of a smaller attendance?

The Covid season…

Got to get that steamroller 1st half press back. That's the way Kevs style works. If everyone isn't pressing then its slow dull and sideways, and ultimately we can't score and start to lose games.
You can’t play a press game with Bonne and Moncur.

Back