• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings AFC Fylde 2-1 Southend United

For my two penn'orth we don't look to be playing together as a team at the moment. Maybe it's due to the fact that 5 or 6 of our "regulars" from our starting XI last season are missing for one reason or another.

Can you elaborate why? We’ve played the same system and style for the past two seasons & we’ve continued to improve. We’re not even a quarter of the way into the new season, so it’s impossible to know if that upward trajectory will continue or not this season.

You may be right, this might be as far as Kev can take us. However, I think he’s shown he’s capable of A) putting together a good squad & B) getting the most out of them. So far this season that hasn’t happened. Yet.

My opinion might change in due course, but for now I believe we have the right personnel at the helm.
I hear you. My opinion... Same issues always exist. Mentality, setup, player positioning. Above average but never success. Same mistakes being made.

As shared a number of times I don't have an issue with Maher. He was a great player too for sufc doing what he needed to do. He's been incredible leading through awful times. I simply don't see further progress potential. Arguably each season we've had better players but I believe we've hit a plateau. Losses (and more importantly performances / setup / mentality) Eastleigh aside just amplify the gaps in his style, mentality and approach. These recent games are symptomatic rather than jumping on a negative bandwagon.

Yep. Tactics are not suitable for players signed and bizarrely moved players who have been excellent in certain positions to other positions undoing all his good work of fitting them into a shape that wasn't natural to some two years ago. Feels like a 12 year old on football manager trying things out to see if it works and when it doesn't tries it again and again in the hope it will. Most games I can tell how we are going to play when I see the formation and personnel. I bet most people could see within 15 mins that the ball was not going to be held up by Bonne. It feels like really obvious stuff.....square pegs in round holes as they say.

Know he didn't come on last night but for example....who on here would ever bring on Wood and play him as a striker?

Losing confidence in the decision making fast!
And what you said. Thank you

My best friend is a Man City fan and I watch a lot of City with him. It is clear that Kev is trying to play like Pep/Man City (Which I'm all for by the way) however he is missing a couple of key ingredients to play that way.

Apart from the ability of the players - which I won't include, the main ingredient is a defence splitting pass which Man City play a lot. We rarely play this type of ball and should be utilising it a lot more with our strikers, especially with our build up play. We become too predictable and slow otherwise otherwise.

Another "City" tactic is the quick cross. We have started to use this a bit more this season, however we seem to get down the wings and 90% of the time turn and pass back just to keep possession. I'd love to see Jack & Gus running on to giving very early, quick crosses for the forwards or in running midfielders to run on to.

Like a lot of people, I was angry last night, but I'm 100% behind what Kev is trying to do and with a couple of tweaks and possibly better "incomings" - if it's possible, I'm sure next season we'll definitely be going up.
There are 2 massive difference.

1) We play a 532 setup with wing backs. Man city typically play 4231 or 433..sometimes they play 3241 to attack and defined by the player types. Ie last night they played 1 CDs 2 arguable full backs in a back 3. They used rodri and Lewis in mid then a 4 in mid with 2 proper wingers not WBs, 2 attacking mids and one striker. Southend do not players like this in these roles.

Yes the formations do shift mid game but the player types used depict approach. 8 of our players are defenders/defensive. That leaves 3 attackers. It still bemuses me how people can't see that this is an issue to scoring goals. Goals are team made (which you sort of outline above) not just by having more strikers.

2) we do not go out to attack. We play glass half empty trying not to lose a goal which ironically tends to invite more pressure especially in a 532 8 defensive player setup

There is one other massive difference. We play a 532 setup with wing backs. Man city typically play 4231 or 433..sometimes they play 3241 to attack and defined by the player types. Ie last night they played 1 CDs 2 arguable full backs in a back 3. They used rodri and Lewis in mid then a 4 in mid with 2 proper wingers not WBs, 2 attacking mids and one striker. Southend do not players like this in these roles.

Yes the formations do shift mid game but the player types used depict approach. 8 of our players are defenders/defensive. That leaves 3 attackers. It still bemuses me how people can't see that this is an issue to scoring goals. Goals are team made (which you sort of outline above) not just by having more strikers.

It's almost as if Man City can afford a huge squad full of players with great abilities.

My best friend is a Man City fan and I watch a lot of City with him. It is clear that Kev is trying to play like Pep/Man City (Which I'm all for by the way) however he is missing a couple of key ingredients to play that way.
I feel like he is playing much more like Chris Wilder during his first spell at Sheff Utd

I h

I hear you. The problem exists that personally I don't see him taking it any further. Same tactics, same issues. It's nothing to do with 10 games only of feeling.
Two of the biggest problems are the goalkeeper that keeps teams in it one way or another every week and a very negative manager that is bereft of attacking ideas, both need changing as sure even with these players someone else could get a better tune out of them?

Back