• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings AFC Fylde 2-1 Southend United

Several times Kev mentions the need to "get bodies in" and "we know what we need"....But here we are, still light. This isn't the first time he has said this either.

He sounds very frustrated at the speed things are going in the transfer department. Does he need COSU to relax the purse strings a little, so he can bring in the players he feels can turn our fortunes around? or does Kev and Co. need to somehow get a tune out of what is currently available?

If there is still some of the budget available then it is down to him and the recruitment team to get the deals over the line and should have nothing to do with COSU. If the budget has gone then is it a case of us over paying wages again or is it to do with the self sustainability?

Watched on the telly, thought Fylde played really well to be fair.

We are massively missing Cav in midfield. Morton and Husin were both poor.

Simple question from me, Bonne was absolutely blowing out his arse, we were getting success down the right wing, so why was Jack Wood not brought on to try and exploit that space with Gus moving into the box more for his crosses?
Easy...don't even hint at criticising Kev's decision making! 😆

Why do footballers think they have this god given right not to be criticized when 99% of people in private sector jobs would be on the end of it if they were not performing how they should.

I was luckier, in the sense I only had to endure that rubbish from the comfort of my sofa, and didn't trouser £100 odd quid, use day off work and 12 hours on a coach journey on a Tuesday night.

Those fans who travelled have EVERY right to vent their frustrations so Gus and others who were playing part time football before we came along need to wind their necks in a little bit.

No one deserves to be abused at work (not even traffic wardens)

If a private sector worker (and these are private sector workers!) was underperforming no company would accept abuse of their employees by their customers. Underperforming employees are dealt with by the mgmt, in our case Kev and co, not customers.

Never said I was happy with it. The simple fact is that some people have to get over this big club so must be in the Football League mentality. Acceptance that we are in a rebuild phase makes life so much easier to deal with. We were an established third tier club yo-yoing between 3rd and 4th tier until two monumental back to back promotions. That first promotion seemed so far off when Anton Johnson was around and Bobby Moore was managing. Crowds of 2,000 and dire football (arguably worse than we are seeing currently).

We are now firmly a 5th tier club that survived by the skin of its teeth. We rebuilt after Anton, we can do the same after Ron but not at the expense of blowing money. Get a few weeks of this new squad playing, get some fit forwards and if we are still in the bottom six then is the time to start asking questions.

1 week ago this place was full of how fantastic we are. Reality hurts but acceptance of what’s happened over the last few years and last 3 months really helps.
Here here! Post of the thread!

I firmly believe that we overachieved (because of trench mentality) in the last couple of seasons. The way we play and the tactics are unchanged. It is great, attractive football when it works, and we can be unbeatable. But when it doesn't, we get poor performances like Saturdays and last night. It was the same last season! What has changed are some of the players and finally a business minded management team in COSU, who have inherited what can only be politely described as a dogs breakfast. And of course some wildly ridiculous fans expectations that we would suddenly be setting fire to this pit of a league!

Its only fair to start asking questions of Kev, the players and cosu when we survive this season, finish mid table with a few very good and a hatful of mediocre/poor games, a fully functioning club and a proper pre season, unencumbered by off the field issues (so basically winding forward a year from now!!).

Do i like what I saw Saturday, no. That hurts. Then losing last night in injury time hurts too. Watching our team being ripped apart by injury, a bit of stupid and a fairly shrewd transfer also hurts. You need to remember that when you start your incoming transfer discussions 3 months after the rest of the division, you are selecting the players other clubs chose not to sign/keep! 🙄 not that these players are bad, but they need time that our fanbase seems to not want to give them. It will come good, but it wont be in the next few games!

Last edited:
Few thoughts on this season so far:
  • Spine - One thing that made us so strong last season was the spine of the team. Within 4-5 games this season we've lost Kensdale and Cardwell, with Miley being out injured. That spine is/was as good as any in this division and any side in this league would struggle to come to terms with losing it.
  • Injuries - Walker, Miley, Waldron and Coker all featured in the opening game of the season, (3 starts, 1 sub), and have all been missing for the last 4+ games. Again, all are big losses to the squad, even if you look at someone like Waldron coming off of the bench.
  • Fitness - Injuries have forced our hand into making some signings that quite clearly are not match fit. Bonne is well documented to not even have trained with a club during the off season, KAF cannot be match fit, Moncur despite having some preseason with Orient wasn't match fit to begin with. Pepple might have played 23s football preseason but that's not comparable to NL football.
  • Embargo - Let's not forget we missed out on a number of signings due to the embargo and could only sign players late in the window. I think our first training session back only Walker and Gubbins were new faces in the building. The embargo was always going to impact the start of our season and I think that's been pretty obvious so far.
  • Supporters expectation - We are a club losing £2m a year that was so close to going under it's frightening to even think back to those court cases. I know there was a real feeling of expectation and excitement with the new owners coming in but given how badly run we've been for so long can we really expect instant success just because we 'belong' in the EFL? I still think we will make the playoffs this season, but we're not going to be challenging the clubs at the very top of the table. Hopefully next season after a summer without being impacted by off the pitch problems we can build and be ready to mount a proper charge for top spot.
We're only 9 games in, still another 37 games to be played. Things will improve.

I'm going to say something that not a lot of people will like;

2 of the problems I can see are from our better players.

GSM brilliant going forward (and goals) but hasn't got the legs to get back and defend (which is what he's
supposed to do. Too Gung Ho at going forward all the time (choose your moments).
I'm not just talking about late in the game when he held his hamstring, he was doing it Saturday too getting caught too far upfield. I know a lot of you won't like it and will say if not Gus then who will score?

Moncur it seems that everyone has been told give the ball to George at every opportunity and let him create, well in all honesty I havent seen too much of it all opposition have to do is get a couple round him and stifle our play, let Husin play his game and don't just pass to Moncur all the time.

Opposition tactics for next game. Put two on Moncur , and wait til late in the game when GSM gets tired and attack then
Not a player problem. That's tactics - ie playing a wing back system. Round pegs square hole

However you dress it up losing away to Fylde after conceeding on HT and again at FT,rather like taking money from OAP's in Winter,is never a good look.In fact lose at the WE and the alarm bells should start ringing even for the most loyal fan.

Just watched there first goal, another pathetic attempt at stopping it by Calamity Collin. Got his hands all twisted and wrong to let the ball squirm through. Our lack of goals need a consistent man between the sticks, must be some good no.2’s out there surely?

I'd be interested to know what Still and co saw in Gubbins, KAF and Pepple?
Maybe, it came down to availability and price, and maybe, a little desperation to get bodies in?
Zoners have spoken of giving players time, but you can tell in 10 minutes if someone shows signs of the essential attributes: George Moncur for the defence, m'lud.
KAF is Terrell Mk2; and have yet to see Pepple sprint - even once, and while Gubbins hoisted a few balls forward that stuck against Eastleigh, he's cost us two big goals and three points against Oldham and last night.
Hope those injuries are clearing up...

No one deserves to be abused at work (not even traffic wardens)

If a private sector worker (and these are private sector workers!) was underperforming no company would accept abuse of their employees by their customers. Underperforming employees are dealt with by the mgmt, in our case Kev and co, not customers.
Football is a very emotional game so a few fans shouting a few home truths after a dire performance 6 hours from home is the equivalent of your guvnor pulling you in the office for a poor performance.

Its the name of the game, and not personal abuse and I am sure GSM was only too happy when the fans were singing his song week in week out.

Back