• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings AFC Fylde 2-1 Southend United

A football team doesn't play very well for a few games and the end of the world is nigh... The ability of some to luxuriate in their own misery is something to behold. What short memories people have. A few short months ago, we very nearly didn't have a club to support. Through their twisted logic, perhaps that would have made certain masochistic posters happy. I, for one, am grateful I have a team to be disappointed in when it lets in an injury-time winner.

Many of these lads are the same heroes who stuck by this club in its hour of need, playing without pay. Never forget.

@Cricko was spot on with his post. We're just not very good at the moment. With all that has gone on, how could we be? Others have listed the numerous reasons why. The Dunkerque spirit/siege mentality cannot be sustained forever. I would join the call for patience, but I'm aware that word isn't in the vocabulary of the Zoners who descend on the site after defeat.

Think the problem is that after a great all hearted performance against Eastleigh we then play exactly the opposite for the next two against probably worse opposition?
Should have been on a high with all the same players but something goes wrong within a week….nervous tactics don’t help!

Abouts sums it up though , I though they were good value for the win , they played quick aggressive football and ran at us with pace - like someone said we had a couple of warnings a few minutes before the winning goal where Fylde broke and six of their players bust a gut to get forward and get on the end of the chance , it was a shame for them that their player who was carrying the ball made an awful decision to shoot rather than lay it off to the several options he has to his left and right .

No complaints about the result but for me apart from Muncur the recruitment has been poor this season and the slowing down to keep the ball at all costs is getting frustrating and giving lesser sides time to get their shape and drop into a low block . This in turn means we almost have to score the perfect goal to break the 2 banks of four
Sometimes it's a bank of 5 with 4 in front plus they know where their outlet is going to be!

Honestly, I've been worried about posting the same comments recently.

I really dont think he's as good as most of SZ thinks he is. Our system allows him to get into good positions and he's usually coming in unmarked/unseen to get a far post tap in or a header (Saturdays thunderbastard aside).

He's confident and in good form, but the repeated calls to "put him up front" are embarassing. Suspect he'd be absolutely awful. Also, I dont think he's that good of a right back (although we've rarely seen him there, but just from his attributes). He's not that quick, seems to gas out after 10 mins of a match and dont think he's that good defensively.

That said, I absolutely love him and christ knows where we'd be if it wasnt for his goals this season (bottom 3 easily). But the talk of massive release clauses, leaving in Jan and sure I saw someone say he'd be on Peterboros radar in League 1 are way off the mark.

Hope he proves me wrong!!
I agree. He's playing really well currently - clearly loves it - and is a proper heart on sleeve type player - will always turn up on a cold Tuesday night in Fylde for example. But he's not that great a defender and there's a fair amount of inconsistency to his game (which is why he's in league 5)! Not sure he'll end up in the football league but could well be Harry Cardwell v2.0 if we're not careful. If we played a 4-4-2 I think he's a right midfielder rather than a right back.

Here's a question loaded with jeopardy...

When we are still playing players out of position and conceding goals by passing the ball around our 18 yard box every week, and when we are still rattling around the bottom 6 of the league next season, at what point will it be acceptable to question Kev and the players?

Have our expectations been so irreversibly lowered over the years that we are now completely blinded by loyalty to our detriment?

When we are still playing players out of position and conceding goals by passing the ball around our 18 yard box every week, and when we are still rattling around the bottom 6 of the league next season, at what point will it be acceptable to question Kev and the players?

Have our expectations been so irreversibly lowered over the years that we are now completely blinded by loyalty to our detriment?
I don't think that question would wait until next season to get asked. This is NOT a Maher out post, but I think if we are looking over our shoulders in December there won't be enough sentimentality left to save him.

A note for everyone saying GSM will leave in January. I would say it’s unlikely. Clubs do not sign a right back for the goals they score, they sign them for the assists and crosses.

As good as Gus is and as loved as he is, he doesn’t look up when crossing the ball and his crossing is not consistent.
Still better whipped in early crosses than Bridgey, if and when will it be crossed and if it will clear the first man! I'd love Bridgey to emulate Gus .

Think the problem is that after a great all hearted performance against Eastleigh we then play exactly the opposite for the next two against probably worse opposition?
Should have been on a high with all the same players but something goes wrong within a week….nervous tactics don’t help!

Maybe they sit back a bit after a good win. It's a shame... at least if we lost all the time it wouldn't come as such a surprise 🤣

None of this has happened yet so I don't know.

I'd be interested to know what Still and co saw in Gubbins, KAF and Pepple?
Maybe, it came down to availability and price, and maybe, a little desperation to get bodies in?
Zoners have spoken of giving players time, but you can tell in 10 minutes if someone shows signs of the essential attributes: George Moncur for the defence, m'lud.
KAF is Terrell Mk2; and have yet to see Pepple sprint - even once, and while Gubbins hoisted a few balls forward that stuck against Eastleigh, he's cost us two big goals and three points against Oldham and last night.
Hope those injuries are clearing up...
CP’s Mate may have put his finger on the problem.
We have heard a great deal in the past about our “exemplary” method of recruitment. Prospects are watched multiple times by different members of the coaching staff and by scouts. Their characters are assessed, people close to them are spoken to. John Still is allegedly one of the most well informed and shrewdest blokes in the lower leagues. Kev has the final decision.
I sense that these protocols are not being followed at the moment. Let’s take each player recruited over the last few months.
Bonne was not watched because he hasn’t been playing.
I doubt that Pepple was watched because of the obscurity of his route to us - Canada via Luton reserves (I prefer Canada).
Moncur was not watched because he hasn’t been playing. His attitudes to getting fully fit were red flagged before he came (he’s still a delight to watch when he’s on song).
Appiah-Forson and Wind probably were watched because they are local. KAF was known to be unfit when he arrived . Neither has started a game for us.
Burton were anxious to offload Walker, and he was nowhere near the first team. He could not have been watched recently playing at a decent level.
Waldron was watched multiple times. Not all players playing in a lower league successfully make the move up. Waldron hasn’t yet, but might do in the future.
I am aware that Walker and Moncur are on loan.
These players are possibly 3rd or 4th choices as mentioned in a previous post of mine.
Some of these recruits were clearly brought in on the basis of reputation, not on the basis of Those words are banned. None so far have added to the quality of the team.
This is John Still’s fault. Isn’t he director of football?

There's no reason why you can't question Maher's tactics now. No one is stopping you, but opposite views may be forthcoming.

Here's another question. Look across the history of football. When did chopping and changing managers ever help anything?

Here's a reply...
Who would you have replace Maher & Co. right now? And on what basis would you expect our form to turn on a dime with the players available? That is the decision that the owners face. It's all well and good crying for change after a middling run of form, expecting us to shoot to the top of the table but frankly it is foolish, certainly at this stage. So the easy option for a supporter in their armchair browsing SZ is to say "ahhh but when can I criticise!?!" without the smallest idea of a follow up plan! It's a s**t take and tbh comes off as sooooo childish and desperate for attention - get a grip.

To be honest, I think half of the people on this board are missing the "sale of the club" thread which was filled with hopelessness and despair - you all get off on it, and are desperate for a return to the vitriol and sniping but without a target.

There is still plenty of football to be played and I have no doubts it will improve in the coming weeks. Now, you'll ask why I think this... Simply put, I don't believe that our run of form last season that saw us amassing a play-off level of points was blind luck. We were playing decent stuff for this level and that was solely down to the management. If you actually watch the games closely, you'll see we are playing good stuff still, but lack consistency and a cutting edge. Given the well-reported player losses we have suffered, I don't think that is unexpected.

Here's a reply...
Who would you have replace Maher & Co. right now? And on what basis would you expect our form to turn on a dime with the players available? That is the decision that the owners face. It's all well and good crying for change after a middling run of form, expecting us to shoot to the top of the table but frankly it is foolish, certainly at this stage. So the easy option for a supporter in their armchair browsing SZ is to say "ahhh but when can I criticise!?!" without the smallest idea of a follow up plan! It's a s**t take and tbh comes off as sooooo childish and desperate for attention - get a grip.

To be honest, I think half of the people on this board are missing the "sale of the club" thread which was filled with hopelessness and despair - you all get off on it, and are desperate for a return to the vitriol and sniping but without a target.

There is still plenty of football to be played and I have no doubts it will improve in the coming weeks. Now, you'll ask why I think this... Simply put, I don't believe that our run of form last season that saw us amassing a play-off level of points was blind luck. We were playing decent stuff for this level and that was solely down to the management. If you actually watch the games closely, you'll see we are playing good stuff still, but lack consistency and a cutting edge. Given the well-reported player losses we have suffered, I don't think that is unexpected.
The British disease of binary thinking is alive and well on the Zone.

All I asked was whether we could justifiably criticise he and the players - I didn't say he should be sacked and replaced.

They both seem to be a protected species, and anybody who dares point out any flaws is immediately dispatched to Shrimperzone purgatory.

All I asked was whether we could justifiably criticise he and the players - I didn't say he should be sacked and replaced.
That is quite obviously a cop out. You can criticise all you want mate, but it's hot air isn't it? If you aren't going to stick your money where your mouth is and suggest a credible alternative, what is the point?

If I said to you why have we not considered rotating the pitch 90 degrees, you'll tell me I am an idiot because that will not work. This seems like quite a similar situation, but you've suggested rotating it 270 degrees...

Edit:
They both seem to be a protected species, and anybody who dares point out any flaws is immediately dispatched to Shrimperzone purgatory.
Have a look at the volume of criticism of Maher on here vs support, if anything you're in the majority these days - after less than 10 games!!! Football fans aren't fickle at all...

Of course! There's been some disappointing performances and those individuals will know it as much as any of us. Maher is now in a position where he can make changes to the defence and offer more width in attack but that has had knock on effects as a settled team is now experiencing disruption. Others have correctly identified injuries and losing Cardwell and Kensdale without much agency as other disruptions

I think there are observable deficiencies that COULD be criticised, some will choose to do so, others wont. There are certainly improvements to be made but there's enough games to make them too.

Back