• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Would you support a Phoenix Club?

Would you be interested in supporting a Phoenix Club

• Yes

Votes: 179 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 175 49.4%

• Total voters
I would. It’s been done enough times before, quite successfully sometimes. roughly half those who voted said yes, so if that’s representative of the wider fan base that’s a hard core of around 3000 who’d be there from day 1. That would generate a very healthy budget for the level the club would start at. And I’m sure if it went well more fans would be drawn back in. It would still be Southend United, as the fans are the club. Yes it might have to adjust the name slightly (not sure why it couldn’t take the old name if the old club was liquidated) but it would be the same club to me, having a reboot.

I left Southend 30-odd years ago and now live near Watford but am still a season ticket holder. I have had a season ticket pretty much continuously since the age of 5, and in my own right since I started work at 21. I support Southend United, no-one else.

The thought of travelling down to Southend to watch a club I have never supported play in a local park, or even at Roots Hall if it came to that doesn't interest me. That will be me done with football (other than England) because I simply won't support another club. Not on principle, just because I wouldn't be emotionally invested like I am with Southend United, and I'm a bit old to start that again.

I left Southend 30-odd years ago and now live near Watford but am still a season ticket holder. I have had a season ticket pretty much continuously since the age of 5, and in my own right since I started work at 21. I support Southend United, no-one else.

The thought of travelling down to Southend to watch a club I have never supported play in a local park, or even at Roots Hall if it came to that doesn't interest me. That will be me done with football (other than England) because I simply won't support another club. Not on principle, just because I wouldn't be emotionally invested like I am with Southend United, and I'm a bit old to start that again.
Fortunately most live local to Southend and would not have your journey to watch the mark 2 version rise like a Phoenix but I see your point. UTB

Fortunately most live local to Southend and would not have your journey to watch the mark 2 version rise like a Phoenix but I see your point. UTB
Yeah, I'm not suggesting that anyone local wouldn't be interested. It's just a long way to come for something I'm not interested in.

The problem is I'm far from unique. There are a lot of Southend fans around my way. I know that because they were friends of mine before we all left Southend and ended up living near each other up here. I'm pretty much the only one that still comes.

Another friend gave up years ago because he predicted all this would happen. He also used to come on here and make those predictions, but he got shouted down to the point where he stopped coming on here as well.

Not for me unfortunately but it might work out ok for the younger ones amongst our klan. Can’t see myself flying from Holland every other weekend to watch a level of football that’s even worse than it is now.

Boxing Day 1969 was my first game and Wealdstone at home 2023 will have been my last if everything goes wonky next few weeks.

Blue Army

Not for me unfortunately but it might work out ok for the younger ones amongst our klan. Can’t see myself flying from Holland every other weekend to watch a level of football that’s even worse than it is now.

Boxing Day 1969 was my first game and Wealdstone at home 2023 will have been my last if everything goes wonky next few weeks.

Blue Army
No idea why you put yourself through that regardless of what league we are in tbh.

I can empathise with how you feel. My round trip to watch our home games is 450 miles or so, and I can't readily envisage me ever doing that if the worst ever came to the worst and we had to start again.

You shouldn't be placed in a position whereby you have to think about these things or make contingency pans for them. It makes me very, very cross.

If the worst happened, much would depend on whether there is a suitable local stadium available. Maidstone went from average crowds of 377 at Sittingbourne to 1698 once the new ground opened in town. Even if you kept the diehard fans, playing outside the area would mean losing a generation of kids. Hope you find a miracle saviour from somewhere.

Sorry buy if the real southend united as we know it gets wound up and we have no saviour then anyone who supports blues has the entitlement to start supporting a new club of there choice! Relegation I can handle as that just means we were s..t!! On the pitch, but to go out of business all together then I'm off supporting a prem team! I've earned the right with the amount of games attended home and away! I hope it don't come come to that but I've earned the right and I'll just become an arm chair fan like most of the other uk fans who follow city!

Back