• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Would you support a Phoenix Club?

Would you be interested in supporting a Phoenix Club

• Yes

Votes: 179 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 175 49.4%

• Total voters
Is it time to seriously look again at this thread. I truly hope not.

I did think about successful reincarnations of other clubs.

Rangers probably being the most famous as they are widely accepted as the same club despite going bust and dropping 3 divisions.

Wimbledon, Accrington Stanley and Newport county have reformed and come back.

Bury and Macclesfield are slowly making that long journey back.

Fingers crossed it won't come to this

I see this thread has opened up again ... And my stance has actually changed

From a professional stand point, I'll be offering my design services to the phoenix club as I would want them to get the best start possible in terms of branding etc

But as a fan, if Southend folded, I'd be done with football (I'm 30 btw) when people ask "who do you support" my answer will be "I used to support Southend"

I'll just become a nomad and go to watch teams that my friends support (West Ham and Newcastle most likely) but I'll never support another team.

Yes, I'd watch the phoenix club, and if I were to do the branding I could possibly fall in love with them ... But it's not my plan

I would support a Phoenix club, so long as we came back wearing blue and calling ourselves THE SOUTHEND UNITED just like Rangers did in the past. Keeping ourselves as close to the original SUFC as possible.
If that didn't work, well then, funnily enough I was utube ing up Canvey Island FC last night as a club. Not a bad club actually.
Just love watching footy,

Said yes months ago, but would say no now. There would be no harmony in the running of the club. Not sure it's something I'd invest my time into. Would mean I'd be done with football barring internationals.

Last edited:
Why would we need to change the name? I understand there may be a technicality saying we can't be Southend United Football Club Ltd again, but we could reform as, say, Southend United Football Club (1906) Ltd, and simply be referred to as Southend United across all communications.

The sticking point for any phoenix club would be where it plays. There's precious little available land in the city for a new stadium, except Fossetts Farm where the local plan actually allocates the land for that purpose. Raising the millions needed to build a stadium might be an issue though...

Why would we need to change the name? I understand there may be a technicality saying we can't be Southend United Football Club Ltd again, but we could reform as, say, Southend United Football Club (1906) Ltd, and simply be referred to as Southend United across all communications.

The sticking point for any phoenix club would be where it plays. There's precious little available land in the city for a new stadium, except Fossetts Farm where the local plan actually allocates the land for that purpose. Raising the millions needed to build a stadium might be an issue though...

Can’t we move to Milton Keynes

I would support a Phoenix club, so long as we came back wearing blue and calling ourselves THE SOUTHEND UNITED just like Rangers did in the past. Keeping ourselves as close to the original SUFC as possible.
If that didn't work, well then, funnily enough I was utube ing up Canvey Island FC last night as a club. Not a bad club actually.
Just love watching footy,

Aren't we technically called "the" Southend united football club. I'm sure I'd seen us described that way in court paperwork.

Either way. It is possible to make a very slight change and keep the same name, colours, history etc.

Back