• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Would you support a Phoenix Club?

Would you be interested in supporting a Phoenix Club

• Yes

Votes: 179 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 175 49.4%

• Total voters
Interesting. I wasn't aware charlton went bust.

If so, how did they avoid league expulsion.
"In 1984 financial matters came to a head and the club went into administration, to be reformed as Charlton Athletic (1984) Ltd.[1] although the club's finances were still far from secure. They were forced to leave the Valley just after the start of the 1985–86 season, after its safety was criticised by Football League officials in the wake of the Bradford City stadium fire. The club began to ground-share with Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park[1] and this arrangement looked to be for the long-term, as Charlton did not have enough funds to revamp the Valley to meet safety requirements."

From Wiki.

Not sure why they weren't expelled - different rules then I guess?

The points deductions in place now didn't exist back then, so if a club went into admin then new owners could just buy the club out and not incur a penalty, its only clubs that were actually liquidated like Aldershot and Maidstone that were expelled. I'm pretty sure Middlesbrough were bought out like Charlton were as well, among a few others.

Regarding where a pheonix club would play, I would think the only realistic option for the first couple of seasons would be a ground share. There's a few smaller non-league clubs who I'm sure would be happy to take a % of the gate money 2 or 3000 shrimpers would be paying. If it went well and the demand was there (look at the crowds the Macc Town reboot has been getting in the 9th / 8th tiers, and we're bigger than them..), the likes of Billericay Town and their all-weather pitch would be a possible location. If after 2 seasons its looking positive the club would have to look at buying some land somewhere obviously but to get the thing started it would have to be a ground-share, which is what all the other pheonix clubs I can think of have done (aside from Macc who fortunately for them managed to hold on to their old ground).

Regarding where a pheonix club would play, I would think the only realistic option for the first couple of seasons would be a ground share. There's a few smaller non-league clubs who I'm sure would be happy to take a % of the gate money 2 or 3000 shrimpers would be paying. If it went well and the demand was there (look at the crowds the Macc Town reboot has been getting in the 9th / 8th tiers, and we're bigger than them..), the likes of Billericay Town and their all-weather pitch would be a possible location. If after 2 seasons its looking positive the club would have to look at buying some land somewhere obviously but to get the thing started it would have to be a ground-share, which is what all the other pheonix clubs I can think of have done (aside from Macc who fortunately for them managed to hold on to their old ground).
I initially thought Billericay as they have the best facilities of all the local lower-non-league sides, but they have a long-term ground share with Hutton so that might be out. Canvey have a decent ground but they already share with Benfleet, so we would probably need to look at Concord, although parking at Thames Road is a nightmare with only a few hundred spectators, let alone over a thousand.

"In 1984 financial matters came to a head and the club went into administration, to be reformed as Charlton Athletic (1984) Ltd.[1] although the club's finances were still far from secure. They were forced to leave the Valley just after the start of the 1985–86 season, after its safety was criticised by Football League officials in the wake of the Bradford City stadium fire. The club began to ground-share with Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park[1] and this arrangement looked to be for the long-term, as Charlton did not have enough funds to revamp the Valley to meet safety requirements."

From Wiki.

Not sure why they weren't expelled - different rules then I guess?
Rules have moved on since then. A number of clubs went bust in the early 1980s and just carried ion from where they were. Pretty sure it happened to Bristol City and Middlesbrough, too. Indeed Middlesbrough carried '1986' as the formation year on their crest for a while.

The points deductions in place now didn't exist back then, so if a club went into admin then new owners could just buy the club out and not incur a penalty, its only clubs that were actually liquidated like Aldershot and Maidstone that were expelled. I'm pretty sure Middlesbrough were bought out like Charlton were as well, among a few others.
And Leicester.

Rules have moved on since then. A number of clubs went bust in the early 1980s and just carried ion from where they were. Pretty sure it happened to Bristol City and Middlesbrough, too. Indeed Middlesbrough carried '1986' as the formation year on their crest for a while.
Dozens of clubs have gone into administration over the years and have then been able to reach the Championship and even the Premier League. All this after owing millions and leaving creditors high and dry. It is so annoying that in the meantime we have had to soldier on losing money year after year and racking up debts while other clubs have been given a lifeline. So unfair.

I don't think I have it in me to support a phoenix club. I lived in the area as a boy, and I have a strong attachment to the club, but if the club folds, I think it would be hard for me to be able to feel what I feel for SUFC.

I would most likely adopt a new club, anyone but Ipswich. Probably Norwich to **** off the wife and all the in-laws....

No phoenix club for me. I might end up following Chelmsford City, or perhaps Billericay Town as I lived in Billericay all of my childhood, but I don't have much enthusiasm for either. I'd probably end up drifting away from football, watching the occasional Premier League match on Sky or BT Sport, but I'd be unlikely to attend many matches. I already don't go to many since getting married (and none at all since the birth of my son earlier this year) and would find it hard to summon up the enthusiasm. Nothing would replace the loss of my club in any case.

I don’t live locally and don’t travel to Roots Hall. Even away games would probably not be close enough for me to attend. It’s a No from me.

I honestly think if a pheonix club gained traction, had a couple of early promotions, played in blue and had the words Southend and United in their name, people would get drawn back in. Maybe not everyone, but a healthy majority.
I agree. Perhaps its too raw to think about at the moment. I wonder if Wimbledon fans thought the same. I can imagine them saying, you can never recreate the crazy gang.

As it stands the thing we care about, the club, is being dragged through the mud. It's embarrassing reading 'Club Doesn't Pay Staff, AGAIN!' month after month. There is no pride in where we are right now, just pride of who we were and hope of who we could be again. If it takes a phoenix club to try and restore that pride then I feel we owe it to the club we love than to let it die being something we barely recognise. If the worst did happen and Southend 'United' doesn't exist in any form at all, Ron will have the last laugh. Because if he doesn't get what he wants, he'll probably take pleasure knowing he was able to take something from us.

Kevin Maher said time and time again last season. Its the fans that make this football club special. Its a privilege to play for these fans. Why should be it be such a privilege if we can [albeit reluctantly] walk away...

That's my call to arms speech, can't wait to see the flak this gets in the morning. Goodnight everyone.

Quite surprised by how close the results are here.
That’s not at all surprising whilst we still hang on. It’s just inconceivable to most, myself included. Support will only gather momentum when/if our fate is finally sealed and it’s time to regroup.

If the worst should happen, I’ll still be there to go again and help wherever I can realistically in addition to turning up.

Last edited:
I agree. Perhaps its too raw to think about at the moment. I wonder if Wimbledon fans thought the same. I can imagine them saying, you can never recreate the crazy gang.

As it stands the thing we care about, the club, is being dragged through the mud. It's embarrassing reading 'Club Doesn't Pay Staff, AGAIN!' month after month. There is no pride in where we are right now, just pride of who we were and hope of who we could be again. If it takes a phoenix club to try and restore that pride then I feel we owe it to the club we love than to let it die being something we barely recognise. If the worst did happen and Southend 'United' doesn't exist in any form at all, Ron will have the last laugh. Because if he doesn't get what he wants, he'll probably take pleasure knowing he was able to take something from us.

Kevin Maher said time and time again last season. Its the fans that make this football club special. Its a privilege to play for these fans. Why should be it be such a privilege if we can [albeit reluctantly] walk away...

That's my call to arms speech, can't wait to see the flak this gets in the morning. Goodnight everyone.
Once was more than enough of that awful mob.

Out of interest if our beloved club is wound up would anyone switch allegiances i.e. support a Premiership club (or even Col Utd 😂)?

Back