• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Would you support a Phoenix Club?

Would you be interested in supporting a Phoenix Club

• Yes

Votes: 179 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 175 49.4%

• Total voters
I'd love to know what "ready to go" means. And how on earth you managed to get the FA to move so fast on your application.
All it means is that interest has been registered with Essex FA to apply to register a phoenix club, and the required forms will be ready to fill-in and submit if SUFC ceases to exist. That is literally it at the moment.

If Southend United no longer existed (AND I PRAY TO GOD THAT NEVER HAPPENS ) i could no longer support any Phoenix club. I will cherish for the rest of my days the memories as a very young kid ,climbing over the wall into the toilet section with friends to watch our hereoes play ,then as a young teenager getting the privilege of playing in the colts team back in 61/62 and playing in Southends first ever youth international tournament. ,Even should we survive all that is happening and Southend move to FF it wont be the same for me RH Is and always will be the home of Southend United and RM will one day rot in hell for his neglecting of it over the past 25 years .Sound bad but living so far away all my memories are of my heroes from way back in the 50s and early 60s and my season with the colts in 61/62 .

All it means is that interest has been registered with Essex FA to apply to register a phoenix club, and the required forms will be ready to fill-in and submit if SUFC ceases to exist. That is literally it at the moment.
Aaah, gotcha. I think Lord Football was overplaying his hand a bit then. :Smile:

I absolutely would support a new club if the existing club folded. All we are actually talking about is a new legal entity and ownership structure. The club would remain the same because what defines the club are the supporters. Not Roots Hall (we have moved ground before and plan to again), or the current players and management (all here today and gone tomorrow, the only question is how long they are here and what impact they make whilst they are). The supporters are the club and will remain the club, with most of them outlasting the ground we are playing in or staff that are representing us. In the same way that AFC Wimbledon are the old Wimbledon, if the current legal entity goes under the new club will be Southend United, with the same supporters and passion - albeit with a different name, ground, staff and thankfully ownership.

I absolutely would support a new club if the existing club folded. All we are actually talking about is a new legal entity and ownership structure. The club would remain the same because what defines the club are the supporters. Not Roots Hall (we have moved ground before and plan to again), or the current players and management (all here today and gone tomorrow, the only question is how long they are here and what impact they make whilst they are). The supporters are the club and will remain the club, with most of them outlasting the ground we are playing in or staff that are representing us. In the same way that AFC Wimbledon are the old Wimbledon, if the current legal entity goes under the new club will be Southend United, with the same supporters and passion - albeit with a different name, ground, staff and thankfully ownership.
Very well said.

A lot has been discussed about the worst case scenario happening, and a phoenix club emerging.

One thing we've failed to critique is if the club survives, then for it to grow again, there also needs changes to support it going forward.

Best case scenario, new owners come along, pump money in and everything is rosey. In reality, even if that occurs, which appears slim right now, there should be changes to ensure it doesn't fall to another owner that abuses the club and doesn't engage with its supporter base.

I'm positive that day will come, whether it's with Ron surviving March 1st and selling up eventually, or as a phoenix club. Either way, we have to change, and be smarter and stronger in our approach.

For any business to grow, it needs healthy challenge, and supporters groups in the past have shown how powerful/influential they can be, with the right people challenging the owner respectfully. From day one, Ron has managed to play people, dodge supporters groups and has shown a total lack of respect to and for them. He has been ambitious, which I have no issue with, but he has not had sufficient business acumen, integrity and financial backing to match that ambition.

When new owners come along, we need to have learned by our mistakes in researching and liaising with them. Respecfully, we need to as a fan base, lay the cards and terms on the table from day one, ensure a voice is regularly heard, and not accept availability to engage only on their terms. We are the stakeholders that ensure money rolls in, and without fans, you have no club. It's not disrespectful to challenge, it's healthy if you want it to function correctly and grow.

If you had a pet and went away, and left it with someone to look after, that's what you would expect. If they abused it, you would never trust them again, and be extra cautious in choosing who looked after them in the future.

The same goes with our club. Its been misused, and we need to ensure that never happens again. If new owners are afraid to engage and be challenged, then they are not suitable. If they are accepting, you have growth.

in terms of Ron, I'm all for the protesting, respectfully, but protests none the less. With protests come mental pressure, and we need to keep pressing. They say press till it hurts, and when it hurts, then press some more. It's the only way to push him out. Everyone has a limit and we need to ensure our voice is continually heard. Ron must know how we feel about him running our club. He does know, more than ever now, but he really must continue to know until he's gone.

Let's get past March 1st, then play it right so that we know what direction our club is going.

We have an amazing fan base, and good people inside the club like Tom, Stan and Kev, who bring much to our future. Let's build on that.

I’ve got no affinity with US cities so I’m struggling to understand the reason behind this thread.

However there is a strange coincidence. This mob are also trying to move to a 21,000 new stadium

One post and one post only because I don't visit here anymore.

"We" are the various supporters club reps. I've just done the initial paperwork because I know how to do it. And it stops anyone outside of the supporters trying to do it. (ie Martin family member)

If we need to be a going concern, the first action is an General Meeting of fans where a properly constituted board would be set up. That would need to be in very early March. I've absolutely no intention of being involved after that.

Your SZ reps will have all the information so suggest anything else is directed at them.

How would this stop any other group starting their own club....Including Ron or his family?

On the subject of Phoenix clubs, I saw Macclesfield, in what I think is their 3rd season, now at the 4th level (I think) of non-league in the Evo Stik West, got over 4000 for a home league game yesterday. The old club only used to get around 2000 in L2. If you can start well and engage the fans it could become an exciting journey. Only if it comes to it of course, but just think of the crowds we could get in similar circumstances.

Found this on twitter.

Anyone have any details?

Who are "We"? The Shrimpers Trust & other fan groups. You are welcome to join the trust if you'd like to be involved. http://www.shrimperstrust.co.uk/home.asp?page_id=83

Who would run it? This is TBC. My understanding is that a club needs 3 permanent non-playing staff: chairperson, treasurer & secretary. These would likely be unpaid volunteers, as would almost all non-playing staff at the club. These positions would *probably* be elected by trust members but that is conjecture at this point in time. A general meeting of Trust members and the wider supporter base would almost certainly be called in order to form consent for a club hierarchy and operational structure

Who is behind it? The Shrimpers Trust and all associated supporters groups

Who is funding it? The supporters

Are members of all supporters groups involved? Yes

Is anyone going to consult the fan base? Yes, but time is against us and pre-registration is important. The finer details can be established at a later date.

I do not say any of these things with the consent/knowledge of anyone at the Trust and in no way is anything here to be taken literally/as gospel/set in stone. This post is merely intended to provide some answers to broad questions posed by @Pale Blue Dot

How close are we to this being a reality? Would we be able to get a team into the Essex Senior League next season if we get wound up or is it to late?

How close are we to this being a reality? Would we be able to get a team into the Essex Senior League next season if we get wound up or is it to late?
If the hearing is adjourned as probably will be then be too late for this coming season I'd have thought and we would possibly start at step 6 which would be Thurlow Nunn South with maybe a Southend Derby with Southend Manor

I believe there is a 21 day period for all the necessary paperwork to be submitted, after liquidation. Is this realistic for next season, probably not at this late stage with constitutions already being drafted. We'd likely have a season of no phoenix.

I believe there is a 21 day period for all the necessary paperwork to be submitted, after liquidation. Is this realistic for next season, probably not at this late stage with constitutions already being drafted. We'd likely have a season of no phoenix.
Which is probably a good thing given the fact that the Club would need to set up a constitution, a board, source a temporary home, trial players, find sponsors etc...

Which is probably a good thing given the fact that the Club would need to set up a constitution, a board, source a temporary home, trial players, find sponsors etc...
Absolutely. I guess the reality would be to get a club ready for the 24/25 season.

Hopefully it wont come to that. I'm sure it wont.

I know of someone that has got a big garden down Benfleet Road... I am sure he would love to get involved

Back