• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Would you delay renewing next season?

Are you delaying renewal of your season card for the 2023/2024 season?

• Total voters
I'm not sure, but is Ron still earning a wage from SUFC, while others around him are not.
Or could it be that he is fore going his wage to pay others within the club.
I don't feel comfortable letting my hard earned money go, if it is going to help Ron personally,
Could it be the case that Ron recently has taken to much out of the club for his own benift, leaving the club with not to many resources.
And he is now hoping that the season ticket money could make up some of the short fall.

I'm not sure, but is Ron still earning a wage from SUFC, while others around him are not.
Or could it be that he is fore going his wage to pay others within the club.
I don't feel comfortable letting my hard earned money go, if it is going to help Ron personally,
Could it be the case that Ron recently has taken to much out of the club for his own benift, leaving the club with not to many resources.
And he is now hoping that the season ticket money could make up some of the short fall.
Ron is not being paid a salary. There is a management fee and rent charged for the ground that has never been collected. The idea he takes money out rather than puts it in is absurd. None of which in any way shape or form excuses the mess we are in and for which he is responsible.

So you think rather than putting money in he is taking it out - treating the club like a magic money tree? Whichever way you slice and dice it not buying a season ticket short term makes cash flow worse and makes it even more likely Tom will not be able to pay the bills. Just an avoidable fact. Outcome- well a much smaller playing budget would be preferable to not paying staff.

That said, people will make the decision they believe is the right one. And they shouldn’t be criticised for that. But at least do it eyes wide open, and accepting it might have undesirable outcomes as well..regrettably
What I said was "I don't know because of all the lies and broken promises over so many years" I am not telling anyone else what to do and doubt they would listen to me anyway but some truth, honesty and transparency to the supporters who pay all their consultancy fees (which RM charges the club every year and does / doesn't take?), the wages and salaries would definitely make a lot of difference to my perception.

Any business should have a plan / forecast with projections for the future. Ours is all based on yet more of RM's spin and promises and for me personally that's not good enough but I am sure many will be guided by guilt because of his perfectly timed words last week and I respect their opinions.

Last edited:
Ron is not being paid a salary. There is a management fee and rent charged for the ground that has never been collected. The idea he takes money out rather than puts it in is absurd. None of which in any way shape or form excuses the mess we are in and for which he is responsible.
How do you know Ron does not find an opportunity to pay himself something?
Have you seen all the accounts?
First off there does seem to be an annual charge of between £400k- £500k for rent of the ground. Ron with one breath says this charge/debt will not be required to be paid back it is nevertheless in past accounts
What is the up to £500k rent charged for exactly.? How is the figure made up? Please dont say its the going rate. Has anyone ever seen any invoices for this charge and what it covers?? Is he still charging it whilst the Hall falls apart?

In another breath it seems that renting Ron wants this money back, hence his claim for millions
Which is it to be ? Is he using at a charge or not? How we can trust a word he comes out with?

The older accounts Ive seen DO show actual Management charges and in effect payments totalling £425,000, in one year alone, What is that for and where is that money going to ?

Its very clear you hold a position strongly in favour of paying for the season cards , fair enough but you do seem very exercised at the moment to get people to do so on behalf of Ron, and from your perspective the club (whilst constantly skilfully trying to deny you have a preference for his corner) Your multitude of posts clearly point to this position,

Why might that be ?

Not disagreeing with you, but with most if not all of his business interests posting big loss's regularly, makes you wonder where he gets the money from to live the lifestyle he does?.

How do you know Ron does not find an opportunity to pay himself something?
Have you seen all the accounts?
First off there does seem to be an annual charge of between £400k- £500k for rent of the ground. Ron with one breath says this charge/debt will not be required to be paid back it is nevertheless in past accounts
What is the up to £500k rent charged for exactly.? How is the figure made up? Please dont say its the going rate. Has anyone ever seen any invoices for this charge and what it covers?? Is he still charging it whilst the Hall falls apart?

In another breath it seems that renting Ron wants this money back, hence his claim for millions
Which is it to be ? Is he using at a charge or not? How we can trust a word he comes out with?

The older accounts Ive seen DO show actual Management charges and in effect payments totalling £425,000, in one year alone, What is that for and where is that money going to ?

Its very clear you hold a position strongly in favour of paying for the season cards , fair enough but you do seem very exercised at the moment to get people to do so on behalf of Ron, and from your perspective the club (whilst constantly skilfully trying to deny you have a preference for his corner) Your multitude of posts clearly point to this position,

Why might that be ?

The original question was around is he taking money out of the club (i.e, will the season ticket money somehow leave the club and end up in his pocket)- so not adding to inter company debt for management charges and rent that is never physically paid. Yes he may or may not write off some or all of that ultimately (and there is a debate to be had about this and, indeed, what would constitute fair charges). But the point is until that time he is not physically taking money/cash out of the club. He has been putting it in.

Yes with some reluctance I do believe that withholding season ticket money will only make the cash flow situation worse and affect Tom's ability to pay the bills- including HMRC and wages. BTW many who are not renewing specifically say its because they believe the significant negative financial impact will force him out earlier, and some have said so on here. So, whilst I don't believe he will go earlier, on the financial impact it seems many on both sides of the argument are in agreement.

To your last point I have absolutely no relationship with the club other than be a supporter of 50 years- through good and bad like many others. On being exercised on the club being able to pay the bills I am somewhat yes. i don't think I am the only one. Again you somehow characterise that as a "preference for his corner". A hark back to everything must be pro-Ron or anti-Ron. Yet, I have repeatedly stated I want the man gone, and that he is responsible for the mess we are in. Just because we disagree on this does not make me pro-Ron or in his corner.

Of course there are some who repeatedly post to support the season ticket boycott. As always we don't mind seeing multiple posts from those we agree with.

That's not at all what the poster was suggesting. Think you need have a little re-read personally.
"I will do pretty much anything I can to help my club but I won't line his pockets to fund all his other dodgy business ventures and that's unfortunately how I see it"

This is in the one I was responding to originally. Not sure my interpretation is entirely unreasonable?

The whole problem is that everyone buying a season ticket still doesn't solve our issues. Thousands bought season tickets this season and look at where we are now. It doesn't solve anything long term, a couple thousand fans could buy season tickets today and that might see us through until the new season but then the new season comes round and we will be on our knees again, just delaying the inevitable.

Although i love this club i am not comfortable with handing over £300 when i know there is a very real chance that we won't exist within the next 12 months. If withholding my money makes Ron that little bit more desperate to sell the club to an owner that can actually afford to run a football club then that is what i will do. As soon as we hear that a new owner is coming in i will be the first one down to the ticket office to buy a season ticket.

Just been to ticket office to renew season tickets. Wasn’t going to renew yet but working out the extra we would have to pay after Sunday compared to last season would cost us another £110 pounds which we don’t have at the moment. Got there when it opened and about 8 ahead of me. When I came out about 20 in queue. Lad in ticket office on his own so expect a wait. Phones still not working.

you see the evidence is clear .... but somehow RM has a large proportion of our supporters believing otherwise ..

unbelievably 5 people agree with this ...

of course he takes money out - every year ..

Doesn't this mean that at the same time you not putting any money into our club, you are still putting money into the pockets of our opponents in the division?

You could look at it like that, but whether I'd have bought a season card or not, I'd likely be doing the away games anyway.

Last year, season card sales were good. How did that work out for us?

Good season, players paid, staff paid. Any trouble with HRMC or embargoes.

You are deluded if you think that any of the money on season cards will change our fortunes.

We will probably start the season in worse shape, still under an embargo but with less players after a good few leave.

Staff will remain unpaid and roots hall will be in an even worse state. Ron certainly won't fix it.

By all means, renew if that's your bag but the more pressure we put on Ron to sell, the quicker the sale happens.

Please don't insult me by insinuating that I'm somehow supporting other teams but not my own. Like the many. I have begged borrowed and pulled all sorts of strokes with various jobs to get to games.

It breaks my heart that the club is in such a mess, even more so to not attend, but I've literally had enough of listening to lies and RM pointing the finger in our direction was the last straw for me.

This season I've enjoyed the away days away from the roots hall depression.

You do you and I'll do me

you see the evidence is clear .... but somehow RM has a large proportion of our supporters believing otherwise ..
This isn't evidence at all. If BarryC hasn't lost the will to live he can share the actual evidence that in one or more of the older years accounts the amounts payable were actually physically paid (i.e. money handed over in payment). Payable and paid being very different things. I have't seen any evidence in the accounts I have looked at but am happy to admit I haven't looked at them all.

You could look at it like that, but whether I'd have bought a season card or not, I'd likely be doing the away games anyway.

You are deluded if you think that any of the money on season cards will change our fortunes.

We will probably start the season in worse shape, still under an embargo but with less players after a good few leave.

Staff will remain unpaid and roots hall will be in an even worse state. Ron certainly won't fix it.

By all means, renew if that's your bag but the more pressure we put on Ron to sell, the quicker the sale happens.

Please don't insult me by insinuating that I'm somehow supporting other teams but not my own. Like the many. I have begged borrowed and pulled all sorts of strokes with various jobs to get to games.

It breaks my heart that the club is in such a mess, even more so to not attend, but I've literally had enough of listening to lies and RM pointing the finger in our direction was the last straw for me.

The last thing I would ever want to do is insult you. Its not about questioning which team you are supporting at all. That was never questioned. Please don't think that- if we didn't care we wouldn't be bothering with posting on here.

But do you know it? Is that what you are saying. Or is that a blind guess that something must be happening.

I’m Southend til I or it dies if that means I pay for my season tickets and we die then at least I’ve been true to myself… but fair play you do what you thinks best…. And on the other thing no comment

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back