• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When will the takeover go through? The Waiting Game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst I agree that clearly Rat and Rat Jr haven't exactly helped expedite the process, far from it. They shoulder most of the blame on delay here. However, COSU as recently as this morning said that DD was expected to take "6-8 weeks back in January" so you can see why the frustration is growing towards SCC from all quarters now. Especially when Cllrs act like complete prats on the socials, using our club for political clout and pushing the same groundhog day statements like "DD is progressing"
I think the DD taking 6-8 weeks was an estimate once started - it then took nearly 3 months for Ron to agree to pay and have a plan for DD to look at. We're probably now around the end of 8 weeks from DD starting.

I think the DD taking 6-8 weeks was an estimate once started - it then took nearly 3 months for Ron to agree to pay and have a plan for DD to look at. We're probably now around the end of 8 weeks from DD starting.
Agreed. Hence why COSU are hopeful that some clarity may appear in the next couple of weeks.

Can anybody answer me the following question, please. What happens to the covenant on RH (that the club has to have a stadium first, before RH can be built on), if SUFC goes into liquidation ?
Do you mean the covenant on RH or the planning permission conditions on FF and RH?

How long have the council had that proposed contract? Any problems should have be sorted out ages ago not now.
It unbelievable really. You can’t have the benefits of ownership and zero risk. Like all landlords you mitigate it- e.g. by allowing for certain occupancy. There can be no councillors so dim they don’t understand this and has been said before all this has already been agreed in principle once all be it with some building at RH.

Last edited:

Well wouldn't that be something! (It is something)

I’m amazed people continue to blame the Council.

It took Ron two months to provide the undertaking to pay the fees.

The Council had no visibility over the proposed development until 18th March!

That’s three months from the deal being struck.

The deal in the meantime has changed substantially, going from affordable housing to luxury housing. This has necessitated the Council to ask for revisions.

As of 3 weeks ago the Council still hadn’t received the specifications, the layouts etc. They want the Council to agree to rent high-end unbuilt flats without any plans.

Ron is trying to use the club to strongarm the Council into agreeing the deal without proper scrutiny. I don’t know whether the Consortium have fallen for this or have just concluded that Ron is unable to deliver what is necessary to close the deal and if they don’t want to lose their £3.5m he’s suckered them out of they will just have to support him through gritted teeth.
This is what makes the most sense to me. Time and time again we’ve seen Martin run down the clock to the last minute. He plays dirty to get the deal that’s best for him and he’s using the WUP to see if he can get the council to blink first.

5 weeks ago it was going to be 4 weeks, and 4 weeks later it was another 6 weeks.

I would say Ron & SCC deserve each other under other circumstances, but with the club at stake both parties deserve their feet held to the fire.

Last edited:
yep I watched some of it too and Daniel is my local councillor and have found him to be effective previously when I have messaged or spoken to him. Lets see what happens now and all hope that the newly elceted council will get this over the line

When the DD does eventually come in, I'm worried there will be lots of reservations regarding the finances of the deal for SDC. Southend Council have a very long history about being extremely cautious with new schemes, or never completing them. Added to that, its a new incoming Council which will want to be seen being careful with the public purse. I think there will be lots of negotiation to be had after DD. Time which the club just doesn't have.

When the DD does eventually come in, I'm worried there will be lots of reservations regarding the finances of the deal for SDC. Southend Council have a very long history about being extremely cautious with new schemes, or never completing them. Added to that, its a new incoming Council which will want to be seen being careful with the public purse. I think there will be lots of negotiation to be had after DD. Time which the club just doesn't have.
The deal is broadly agreed, DD is to make sure it's OK. There won't need to be lots of negotiations but there might need to be wiggling from both sides to get the deal over the line.

Whilst I agree that clearly Rat and Rat Jr haven't exactly helped expedite the process, far from it. They shoulder most of the blame on delay here. However, COSU as recently as this morning said that DD was expected to take "6-8 weeks back in January" so you can see why the frustration is growing towards SCC from all quarters now. Especially when Cllrs act like complete prats on the socials, using our club for political clout and pushing the same groundhog day statements like "DD is progressing"
I get the frustration but it needs to be pointed at Ron and not the council.

This has taken far too long but it’s taken far too long because Ron failed to provide the information required for Those words are banned. And then when he finally provides something it’s no doubt an inadequate rush job on the back of a fag packet rather than a professional job.

Agree the councillors don’t help themselves with their social media postings but is it even with them at the moment?

The difficulty is that no-one really knows as it is Ron dealing with the Council (or their advisers).

Even if the Consortium say it is with the Council they are invariably having to rely on Ron’s word that that is the case. And if he says something is done you can’t trust it because it’s likely only half done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back