• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When will the takeover go through? The Waiting Game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fanbase is definitely bigger now i would say then ever in the last 10 years or so, speaking as someone who has only started supporting in the last 2 years. Theres hundreds of people like me who are supporting a more local club now which they feel more connected to rather then a big premier league club.

I mean look at the average home gate and the bumper crowds we got.. with restricted capacity!
I think the ticket prices play a huge part as well. If we were in L1 or L2 they would be in the £28-30 region I reckon. That would hit the crowds, for sure.

I think the ticket prices play a huge part as well. If we were in L1 or L2 they would be in the £28-30 region I reckon. That would hit the crowds, for sure.
I think Cheap football tickets should be normalised. And the business model of football should be to make tickets cheap and encourage people to spend more in grounds a the more primary source of income.

There's a club in Germany, I can't remember who it is, I think it's Fortuna Düsseldorf that have started doing £1 tickets. They've taken their attendances from around 30,000 in the Bundesliga 2 to capacity (54,000) whilst encouraging people with cheaper drink prices, more kiosks for drinks and food, on site activities like raffles, or arcade games (more for kids). But since they put this in they have not only seen a huge increase in attendances but also customer and fan experience and also total matchday revenue.

I can't understand why clubs aren't looking at this business model as it clearly works and is effective. I would guess greed but hey no

Pretty sure we sold over 5k for the championship season.

If we can get somewhere close to that in the national league it would be a great achievement.

Obviously, having to wait this long and such a short time before the start of the league has hampered any chance of hitting such a high target.
Last time we was in the Championship we sold over 6500 Season ticket's

Last edited:
1 or 2 were very clear a week or two ago to tell us it was DONE, I dont have the time to trawl through, but they certainly did, we now just need to possible realise these posters were fantasists pure opportunists and we just wait now,lilke you say until an official announcing is made .. Ian
You are voicing very real concerns that the vast majority of fans in Southend, who don't come on SZ, are saying.

I think Cheap football tickets should be normalised. And the business model of football should be to make tickets cheap and encourage people to spend more in grounds a the more primary source of income.

There's a club in Germany, I can't remember who it is, I think it's Fortuna Düsseldorf that have started doing £1 tickets. They've taken their attendances from around 30,000 in the Bundesliga 2 to capacity (54,000) whilst encouraging people with cheaper drink prices, more kiosks for drinks and food, on site activities like raffles, or arcade games (more for kids). But since they put this in they have not only seen a huge increase in attendances but also customer and fan experience and also total matchday revenue.

I can't understand why clubs aren't looking at this business model as it clearly works and is effective. I would guess greed but hey no

It just wouldn’t work for us.

What was our average capacity last season, and what are we restricted to due to our safety certificate? Let’s say we were able to sell every seat, but just at £1. We’d take less in gate receipts then we do at present.

Yes, there is more possibility to see food, drink, programmes, merchandise etc but we simply don’t have the infrastructure in place, or the quality in the food and drink section.

Once you’ve brought a shirt and a scarf, that’s it for the season, you don’t buy something new every time you go.

Those bigger clubs rely more on tv money than gate receipts. At our level, it’s the other way round. Our tv money from TNT isn’t a huge amount. We take more from paying customers than tv money, whereas at the elite level, they could easily survive with no fans.

Plus, whether we are paying £1 a ticket, or £25-£30 a ticket, we are still demanding a 20 goal a season striker, a centre half who chips in with goals, a midfielder with bags of assists. Therefore putting more pressure on the owners to overspend and end up in the same situation we have been in for years.

It’s a lovely idea. Maybe it would work if we did go to FF and have a 20,000 seater stadium with loads of food and drink kiosks etc but at Roots Hall, it wouldn’t work at present.

It just wouldn’t work for us.

What was our average capacity last season, and what are we restricted to due to our safety certificate? Let’s say we were able to sell every seat, but just at £1. We’d take less in gate receipts then we do at present.

Yes, there is more possibility to see food, drink, programmes, merchandise etc but we simply don’t have the infrastructure in place, or the quality in the food and drink section.

Once you’ve brought a shirt and a scarf, that’s it for the season, you don’t buy something new every time you go.

Those bigger clubs rely more on tv money than gate receipts. At our level, it’s the other way round. Our tv money from TNT isn’t a huge amount. We take more from paying customers than tv money, whereas at the elite level, they could easily survive with no fans.

Plus, whether we are paying £1 a ticket, or £25-£30 a ticket, we are still demanding a 20 goal a season striker, a centre half who chips in with goals, a midfielder with bags of assists. Therefore putting more pressure on the owners to overspend and end up in the same situation we have been in for years.

It’s a lovely idea. Maybe it would work if we did go to FF and have a 20,000 seater stadium with loads of food and drink kiosks etc but at Roots Hall, it wouldn’t work at present.
I meant sort of English football in general. Especially for the clubs with big Capacities and low attendances. Right now we are doing fine but I think it's definitely a model that all football clubs should be looking to implement in the next 10-15 years

As always, Shakespeare hits the nail on the head:
'Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow
Creeps in ths petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time'
Macbeth goes on to call it 'a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing'.
Hope he was wrong.
Not enough Shakespeare on here, but let’s hope it’s “to be” rather than “not to be”

The big clubs make so much from TV and sponsorship that actually they don't need matchday revenue to survive. However, can you imagine what would happen to crowds of neighbouring clubs if the Prem teams gave away their tickets for £1? If West Ham did that, the crowds of Orient, Dagenham and us would be massively hit.

It's because we have 5 professional leagues that this is a big problem. The Premier League could give a bigger slice of the TV money to the lower levels and ensure that our ticket prices could stay low. As it is, you've got clubs like Kings Lynn charging £350 for a season ticket, which is £5 more than the cheapest one at West Ham. I think our adult tickets last year were more expensive than the cheapest ones this season at Ipswich, Leicester and Man City.

The whole football model is wrong unless everyone outside the PL goes part time.

I meant sort of English football in general. Especially for the clubs with big Capacities and low attendances. Right now we are doing fine but I think it's definitely a model that all football clubs should be looking to implement in the next 10-15 years

You start off by saying clubs with big capacities and low attendances, then you say all clubs in 10-15 years.

Where would be the incentive for any club to do this? All Premier League clubs sell out, so why would they do it?

Without looking at every club and their attendances, is there a club that sells under 30% of its capacity at present? Apart from Col Ewe 😉 Or even 40%? Or 50%? MK Dons I can imagine fit into that category but can’t think of many others.

From what I've read about this the only reason it was financially viable is because Dosseldorf managed to get sponsors to sign 5 year deals worth €9 million a year to cover the cost, this was only to cover 3 matches a year, they made clear they'd need more sponsors on board to make all matches free. The big draw for sponsors is that getting an extra 25,000 through the gate means 25,000 extra people to advertise to.

We wouldn't need quite that much but doing this would still cost us a few million a year, I'm not sure we'd be able to get that kind of money in from sponsors to fund the deal unfortunately.

From what I've read about this the only reason it was financially viable is because Dosseldorf managed to get sponsors to sign 5 year deals worth €9 million a year to cover the cost, this was only to cover 3 matches a year, they made clear they'd need more sponsors on board to make all matches free. The big draw for sponsors is that getting an extra 25,000 through the gate means 25,000 extra people to advertise to.

We wouldn't need quite that much but doing this would still cost us a few million a year, I'm not sure we'd be able to get that kind of money in from sponsors to fund the deal unfortunately.

Maybe we could wine and dine PG Site services, try our luck?

I think our relationship with local business`s and in general will massively change when COSU are in situ. I`m sure that the clubs profile will increase and many fans that have boycotted attending while the 🐀 was still involved will return. A community and family orientated club will be a big plus for the area, things like Kids for a quid have always been popular, making sure that kids are coming through to continue to grow the supporter base of the future. The upgrade of the stadium will add to the feel of match day experience, fan zone, upgraded food outlets, etc... the feel good factor will return.

Up the Blues :LoyalSupporter::Happy:

As always, Shakespeare hits the nail on the head:
'Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow
Creeps in ths petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time'
Macbeth goes on to call it 'a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing'.
Hope he was wrong.

Indeed he did hit the nail on the head

"That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
let him depart; his passport shall shall be made
And crowns for his a nappy put into his purse.
We will not die in bedweters company
This day is called the feast of COSU
Cowards who bottled it after a delay
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here
With their band of brothers, that fought with us
Upon saint COSU's day"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back