• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My car insurance renewal. My premium has increased by over £140 caused, it seems. by the terrible rising costs that motor insurers are suffering for repairs and parts, and the amount of claims they suffer for bad weather damage. I feel very sorry for the poor lambs, it must be hard, and up there with the energy companies that are also suffering hardship. Legalised thieving ****ers, all of them.

Costs for insurers will have risen dramatically so I don’t think this is actually profiteering.

Insurers have been hit by a deluge of red tape, losing economies of scale and out of control inflation which will have dramatically increased costs.

Regulation has increased as the regulator isn’t well enough resourced to tackle all the bad practice so instead of targeting it where it is needed they do blanket stuff instead which is way too broad. The good ones then spend loads complying with it (and in some instances going way beyond due to the lack of guidance) whilst the cowboys carry on as before.

Add to that the increase in extreme weather and it’s resultant damage increasing both the number and the value of claims and premiums are only going one direction.

I have been long retired from one of the big banks so have no idea if it is still the case, but back in the day the team of bank inspectors were a brutal bunch of people. A team would turn up, unannounced at closing time and take over everything. Staff would be very publicly berated for any mistakes or infringements they discovered, grown men reduced to tears by bullying and humiliating behaviour. Depending on the size of the branch we had to endure at least two weeks of systematic harassment. I doubt it happens nowadays, perhaps we were too deferential and meek back in the 60s and 70s but we put up with it unfortunately. I remember several colleagues had mental breakdowns or left the bank after experiences like this. Shameful. No effective union representation of course.
Ah yes. The dreaded green pen mob….

Costs for insurers will have risen dramatically so I don’t think this is actually profiteering.

Insurers have been hit by a deluge of red tape, losing economies of scale and out of control inflation which will have dramatically increased costs.

Regulation has increased as the regulator isn’t well enough resourced to tackle all the bad practice so instead of targeting it where it is needed they do blanket stuff instead which is way too broad. The good ones then spend loads complying with it (and in some instances going way beyond due to the lack of guidance) whilst the cowboys carry on as before.

Add to that the increase in extreme weather and it’s resultant damage increasing both the number and the value of claims and premiums are only going one direction.
Thank you @Yorkshire Blue. Your in depth explanation of all of this makes me feel so much better and I now have an entirely different perspective and outlook towards my Car insurer. I may even drop them an Xmas card and a little Christmas box to ease their hardship. That's the beauty of the 'What's hacking you off' thread, after all isn't it? realising you're not hacked off at all.

Just gone to do a bit of Christmas wrapping, thought I’d do the family sweets today.

Got the carrier bag out of the spare room & an effing bloody mouse has somehow got into the house, nibbled through the bag & been at the Kinder, Maltesers & Allsorts.

Hopefully the laxative effective of the liquorice will cause the ba$tard to sh!te itself into oblivion.

Thankfully my Guylian has been spared..
😡😡

Last edited:
Just gone to do a bit of Christmas wrapping, thought I’d do the family sweets today.

Got the carrier bag out of the spare room & an effing bloody mouse has somehow got into the house, nibbled through the bag & been at the Kinder, Maltesers & Allsorts.

Hopefully the laxative effective of the liquorice will cause the ba$tard to sh!te itself into oblivion.

Thankfully my Guylian has been spare..
😡😡
I hate those mices to pieces.

Thankfully my Guylian has been spared..
😡😡
poor Button would have seen them off :-(

Daughter (5) has just been sick. My gag relex held up just about. Annoying as she broke up from school on Wednesday and there were 2 people in her class that were off the previous day with sickness but tgey came in fir the last day and the school party.

By my calculations if it is a bug I should develop the same sickness issue right around Monday. Yippee

It was finally my turn to get the last chocolate (the large Santa) from the Advent Calendar. Removed all the foil from it and from nowhere Maurice jumped from one chair onto my lap anchoring himself with claws. Duly dropped my chocolate and it fell into my hot coffee, which is now hot chocolate. Bugger.

Not really hacked off, but sad. Visited a good friend who is in Eastern Oregon Correctional institution and it was heartbreaking to see the families of the inmates walking away at the end of their visits. I know that most of the lads inside are in there for a pretty good reason but you have to feel for those poor kids.

Not really hacked off, but sad. Visited a good friend who is in Eastern Oregon Correctional institution and it was heartbreaking to see the families of the inmates walking away at the end of their visits. I know that most of the lads inside are in there for a pretty good reason but you have to feel for those poor kids.

EOCI is where One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is set, isn’t it?

As a teenager, my missus regularly visited her uncle in Belmarsh. Fair to say her thoughts on it, wouldn’t read well as a Tripadvisor review.

As for me, fortunately, my old man did his bid before I was born, so I didn’t have to experience that. Thank god.

Back