• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ofsted isn’t fit for any purpose and should be disbanded Immediately.
I've also been a bit concerned recently by the reaction of the head of OFSTED to recent issues. She doesn't seem to think there's much wrong, and also doesn't seem to think there's much for them to learn.

I've always found said head to be a very arrogant person and dismissive of all problems / failures raised in how Ofsted likes to operate. The new incumbent appears to be of no better quality or sensitivity. It's a jobs for the boys / girls role.

I have been long retired from one of the big banks so have no idea if it is still the case, but back in the day the team of bank inspectors were a brutal bunch of people. A team would turn up, unannounced at closing time and take over everything. Staff would be very publicly berated for any mistakes or infringements they discovered, grown men reduced to tears by bullying and humiliating behaviour. Depending on the size of the branch we had to endure at least two weeks of systematic harassment. I doubt it happens nowadays, perhaps we were too deferential and meek back in the 60s and 70s but we put up with it unfortunately. I remember several colleagues had mental breakdowns or left the bank after experiences like this. Shameful. No effective union representation of course.

If only there was an OFSTED for OFSTED. I'm sure OFSTED would be graded as "Inadequate".
An inspection or assessment should be just that, not a fault hunt but a progressive evaluation of where things are good and what could, should be better. It should work WITH the body being inspected so that problem areas, which are often wider, and beyond individual scope, can get fed up the chain and addressed.
Such things as staff shortages, social local issues, one off events, unique problems.
An inspection should be a safety net where the body being inspected can highlight problems and garner evidence for an assistance boost, NOT as is the case now, a stick to be flogged with.
However that would make the likes of Ofsted busier and involved in the product not just lambasting it from outside, free of any blame or responsibility.

COP summit(s). What a farce. In 50 years time they’ll still be flying in telling us we need to get rid of fossil fuels. I’d like one to be held in the middle of the Amazon requiring a 3 day drive on dodgy roads. Let’s see how many tens of thousands turn up for that.

COP summit(s). What a farce. In 50 years time they’ll still be flying in telling us we need to get rid of fossil fuels. I’d like one to be held in the middle of the Amazon requiring a 3 day drive on dodgy roads. Let’s see how many tens of thousands turn up for that.
The Arabs hosting it was, imo, a non starter before it started, and seasonally a "turkeys voting for Christmas " idea.
When will an accountant workout the tons of greenhouse gases produced for it?

The Arabs hosting it was, imo, a non starter before it started, and seasonally a "turkeys voting for Christmas " idea.
When will an accountant workout the tons of greenhouse gases produced for it?
Since when have accountants been responsible for counting greenhouse gasses? I thought they dealt with finance.

The fact that the Energy regulator wants people to pay extra on their bills £16 per year (Ok its only just over £1.30 a month extra. But this is because people are unable to afford their bills. I don't get the reasoning why we all have to pay extra because we can't afford our bills.

We already pay extra in our bills to cover those energy business that went bust. How is that the consumers fault. Poor regulation and oversight by the regulator. Shame they can't fine the regulator

My car insurance renewal. My premium has increased by over £140 caused, it seems. by the terrible rising costs that motor insurers are suffering for repairs and parts, and the amount of claims they suffer for bad weather damage. I feel very sorry for the poor lambs, it must be hard, and up there with the energy companies that are also suffering hardship. Legalised thieving ****ers, all of them.

My car insurance renewal. My premium has increased by over £140 caused, it seems. by the terrible rising costs that motor insurers are suffering for repairs and parts, and the amount of claims they suffer for bad weather damage. I feel very sorry for the poor lambs, it must be hard, and up there with the energy companies that are also suffering hardship. Legalised thieving ****ers, all of them.
It's even worse for EV drivers. Most EV insurance has gone up 50-150%. It was already expensive in the first place. Copy and pasted:

This is largely down to issues replacing expensive electric batteries, which have seen insurers forced to write off cars for minor incidences as many EVs have no way to repair and assess even slightly damaged battery packs.
Electric cars tend to cost more to buy than petrol and diesel cars, so insurers assume repair parts or fully replacing the car will cost them more. USwitch revealed last year that EVs cost 35% more to buy upfront on average, and grants have been cut since then.

Another major reason for insurers charging more for EV cover is the level of risk providers associate with them.
Confused.com car insurance expert, Louise Thomas, says EVs tend to accelerate faster, which means they are at a higher risk of being involved in an accident. They are also built with advanced technology and parts, meaning they're more expensive to repair or replace in the event of a claim.
Electric vehicles that sustain minor accidents are being kept 15 meters apart in repair garages over fears that they may explode, meaning just two damaged electric cars are taking the same space as 100 petrol or diesel cars, under current DVLA and Transport Department guidelines. Adding to costs of repair. Also a lack of EV repairers.

I was with Admiral until this week, after they increased my premium by £147, following an increase of £95 last year.
Got one from Arriva for £30 more than last year, which i'm ok with bearing in mind some of the prices quoted.
I gave Admiral the opportunity to match it, but they could only drop by £34.

Our younger daughter was telling me about her role in the next one Cop 30 to be held in Brazil.Personally I'm a believer,Seems the best hope for the planet's future to me,

Back