• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Beckham deserves it even less than Murray, IMO

I probably wouldn't go that far. Beckham's worked considerably on furthering the English game both as a player and a statesman (for want of a better word) and his influence on football is far more widespread than Murray's on tennis and as much as he might want to dedicate his time to coaching young age groups, the FA should be looking to tempt him into working alongside the likes of Trevor Brooking where he can truly make a difference. That's if he doesn't end up as the national team manager at one point, which I really wouldn't rule out.

I probably wouldn't go that far. Beckham's worked considerably on furthering the English game both as a player and a statesman (for want of a better word) and his influence on football is far more widespread than Murray's on tennis and as much as he might want to dedicate his time to coaching young age groups, the FA should be looking to tempt him into working alongside the likes of Trevor Brooking where he can truly make a difference. That's if he doesn't end up as the national team manager at one point, which I really wouldn't rule out.
God help us ,England manager .

Come on it's more a fact than my opinion.

I'd like anyone to give me plenty of reasons why Murray deserves a knighthood over Beckham.

Out of interest, why?

Because he reached the very pinnacle of his sport. I still don't think he deserves a knighthood (the precedence set by Kelly Holmes et al is problematic).

I completely accept that beckham has done a lot for the game, but behind all the soccer schools and academies, they're still money making ventures - let's not belief that he's fully alturistic in all of this - just very well advised and marketed.

Because he reached the very pinnacle of his sport. I still don't think he deserves a knighthood (the precedence set by Kelly Holmes et al is problematic).

I completely accept that beckham has done a lot for the game, but behind all the soccer schools and academies, they're still money making ventures - let's not belief that he's fully alturistic in all of this - just very well advised and marketed.

So when he visited the troops in Afghan, put a baiting suit on and took a bite off an attack dog and was also making brews for the troops tasking with looking after did he get paid for that? Haven't seen Murray do anything for our troops.

Beckham had a massive influence on us getting the Olympics. Seb Coe gets made a Lord yet Becks gets over looked.

So when he visited the troops in Afghan, put a baiting suit on and took a bite off an attack dog and was also making brews for the troops tasking with looking after did he get paid for that? Haven't seen Murray do anything for our troops.

Beckham had a massive influence on us getting the Olympics. Seb Coe gets made a Lord yet Becks gets over looked.
He may not have been paid for it (he probably was) but in any event it's all part of Brand Beckham

He may not have been paid for it (he probably was) but in any event it's all part of Brand Beckham

It's your kind of stigma towards the man that makes what he does more admirable. He knows that no matter what he does, the cynics such as yourself will brush it off as brand Beckham and never give him any credit for the good he does, and just belittle his out of football achievements. Given that is the reception his good deeds are received in, you'd be forgiven for thinking he'd just say **** it, if no-one is gonna appreciate what I do, then why bother, if people just think my good deeds are just an attempt to expand brand Beckham, then why bother? The fact he he continues to try despite the cynicism he receives would suggest he's doing it for more than brand Beckham, and the fact he continues, knowing he won't get any credit for it adds weight to that train of thought. I think he gets a really raw deal, just purely because of who he married.

It's your kind of stigma towards the man that makes what he does more admirable. He knows that no matter what he does, the cynics such as yourself will brush it off as brand Beckham and never give him any credit for the good he does, and just belittle his out of football achievements. Given that is the reception his good deeds are received in, you'd be forgiven for thinking he'd just say **** it, if no-one is gonna appreciate what I do, then why bother, if people just think my good deeds are just an attempt to expand brand Beckham, then why bother? The fact he he continues to try despite the cynicism he receives would suggest he's doing it for more than brand Beckham, and the fact he continues, knowing he won't get any credit for it adds weight to that train of thought. I think he gets a really raw deal, just purely because of who he married.

:thumbsup: couldn't agree more.

Becks maybe a lot of things BUT he is a bloke who has done a lot for football, Britishness, and set far better examples in behaviour than the vast majority of similar world sportsmen. Give the bloke some credit please.

Where have I belittled his achievements? He's done a lot of good, and I've said this several times.

However if he was to be Knighted it would be about both his football career and what he's done outside of football. I don't think footballing-wise he stands up as one of the very greats in the English/British game (Busby, Charlton, Robson, Ferguson, Matthews etc). His other activities personally aren't Knight-worthy. Yet.

Where have I belittled his achievements? He's done a lot of good, and I've said this several times.

However if he was to be Knighted it would be about both his football career and what he's done outside of football. I don't think footballing-wise he stands up as one of the very greats in the English/British game (Busby, Charlton, Robson, Ferguson, Matthews etc). His other activities personally aren't Knight-worthy. Yet.

Really? How many trophies has he helped win for Man Utd etc? It wasn't his fault he was surrounded by dross in the England team. With 11 Beckhams on the pitch we would have been truly world beaters.

Really? How many trophies has he helped win for Man Utd etc? It wasn't his fault he was surrounded by dross in the England team. With 11 Beckhams on the pitch we would have been truly world beaters.

Well they are on their way, 4 down ....

I'm not Beckham's biggest fan either, but if you compare his footballing achievements to those listed above he comes out pretty well:

Busby - European Cup as a manager and numerous league titles. Munich factor definitely significant. Tony Barton never got knighted did he?

Charlton - European Cup and World Cup as a player. 108 caps, England's record goalscorer. Open and shut case.

Robson - decent playing career for England, World Cup semi-finalist as manager, fine club record as a manager across many countries. Charity work was significant in his knighthood too

Ferguson - two European Cups as a manager and the more cups and titles than you can shake a stick at. Deserved, but I always thought the knighthood should have waited until his second one.

Matthews - European Footballer of the Year, amazing longevity, icon of the game. A reasonably bare trophy cabinet though and never enjoyed great success with England

Beckham - league titles in four countries (even if he played a very minor role in the PSG one), European Cup winner, 115 caps, only Englishman to score in three World Cups.

Beckham will get knighted eventually, of course he will. But there is no mad rush and it puzzles me that him not getting a knighthood would be enough to make one really hacked off.

All this football stuff has got far to deep and analytical for a get-it-off-your-chest-rant page. Take it to the General football forum.

Now something that REALLY ****es me off: People in a right turn lane which happens to have a Priority Filter but isn't controlled by a separate red light, who insist on sitting stationary until the filter appears DESPITE THE FACT THAT NOTHING IS COMING THE OTHER WAY!!!! Read your highway code you morons, and get your collective arses MOVING!!!!

:angry::angry::angry:

A repeat moan for me on jet lag. Went to bed at 10pm. Woke up at 145 and laid there watching 2am, then 3, 4 and 5 interspersed by various schemes to get me back off to sleep. Finally gave up at 530. It's now 730 and I'm on my way into work feeling like ****.

A repeat moan for me on jet lag. Went to bed at 10pm. Woke up at 145 and laid there watching 2am, then 3, 4 and 5 interspersed by various schemes to get me back off to sleep. Finally gave up at 530. It's now 730 and I'm on my way into work feeling like ****.

Wouldn't say that's specific to jet lag ORM, sounds like a typical night to me :sad:

Back