• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kids can be so cruel too, I remember a kid at my school. His family didn't have a lot of money and he always used to come in uniform on a non uniform day. He used to have the **** ripped out of him for it, always used to feel sorry for him.

Kid I used to be assigned to, his family just never bothered, and with his ADHD, coming in on World Book Day in his uniform was more than he could stand and we always ended up with him in trouble and inevitably in isolation!

There's a few Boy in a Dress-es kicking around on FB, and one of my friends made a brilliant Cat in the Hat for her daughter. You just need to be a little creative....I once made my son, then aged 5, a Thomas the Tank Engine costume out of a big, old cardboard box, with straps over the shoulders, and my daughter, then aged 7, once went as Misty from Pokemon with a Togepi made from papier mache over a balloon...it just needs a little thought. Neither costume cost me more than some paint and a few hours of my time.

Kid I used to be assigned to, his family just never bothered, and with his ADHD, coming in on World Book Day in his uniform was more than he could stand and we always ended up with him in trouble and inevitably in isolation!

There's a few Boy in a Dress-es kicking around on FB, and one of my friends made a brilliant Cat in the Hat for her daughter. You just need to be a little creative....I once made my son, then aged 5, a Thomas the Tank Engine costume out of a big, old cardboard box, with straps over the shoulders, and my daughter, then aged 7, once went as Misty from Pokemon with a Togepi made from papier mache over a balloon...it just needs a little thought. Neither costume cost me more than some paint and a few hours of my time.

Indeed. My wife made a brilliant costume with a kids' top hat bought on eBay and a few other bits. She gets most of the bits and pieces she needs from Hobbycraft, which is brilliant.

We had a kid in our class when I started working in school called Christian Grey, poor sod must be about 17 by now, he must be having a terrible time!

Parents shouldn't need to be told what is appropriate and what isn't. If you're thinking of a character immortalised in film, then ask if you would let your child see the film. If the answer is "no", then the costume isn't suitable.

We had a kid in our class when I started working in school called Christian Grey, poor sod must be about 17 by now, he must be having a terrible time!

Parents shouldn't need to be told what is appropriate and what isn't. If you're thinking of a character immortalised in film, then ask if you would let your child see the film. If the answer is "no", then the costume isn't suitable.

His mother is a teacher....

...and other kids apparently dressed up as serial killer Dexter.

1) Not a book.
2) Really mum & dad? REALLY? :facepalm:

1) I think you will find it was actually based on a book called 'Darkly Dreaming Dexter' which was a novel about a serial killer called funnily enough Dexter Morgan.

2) It was a teacher that dressed up as Dexter.

I beg to disagree......
I thought the mothers explanation was pretty much spot on
its a secondary school and there were no issues with other characters , such as James Bond, who kill people....

Its a load of old rubbish anyway, its world book day, if they want children to dress up as characters from a book to encourage reading, make them dress up as someone from a book they have read and take the book in so that other children can decide if they want to read it to.or at least have the isbn on hand so other kids can get it from the library.
books are about imagination, dressing up as someone else's interpretaion of the character , as displayed on tv or film is bypassing the childs imagination

1) I think you will find it was actually based on a book called 'Darkly Dreaming Dexter' which was a novel about a serial killer called funnily enough Dexter Morgan.

2) It was a teacher that dressed up as Dexter.

Fair enough, but that's still not appropriate is it?

I thought the mothers explanation was pretty much spot on
its a secondary school and there were no issues with other characters , such as James Bond, who kill people....

Its a load of old rubbish anyway, its world book day, if they want children to dress up as characters from a book to encourage reading, make them dress up as someone from a book they have read and take the book in so that other children can decide if they want to read it to.or at least have the isbn on hand so other kids can get it from the library.
books are about imagination, dressing up as someone else's interpretaion of the character , as displayed on tv or film is bypassing the childs imagination

Maybe the issue here is that it's not really appropriate for senior schools then, because of the likelihood of someone going "too far". Certainly don't think any of the Benfleet senior schools do it, they just hand out the book tokens.

Back