• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What have you watched on TV?

Not Question of Sport.

But I was reminded of it when reading Martin Kelner's excellent weekly column...

"But there’s something about A Question Of Sport that gets in amongst me. Whether it’s the false jollity, the forced bonhomie, or the sheer bloody Phil Tufnellness of it that sets my teeth on edge, it’s impossible to say without further research.

I’ve probably watched it four times in the past 10 years, either by accident or for columnar reasons, and each time it has me diving down the back of the sofa for the remote so I can change channels before a possibly fatal rise in blood pressure.

I paused it on Saturday, and called my wife in. “What are they all laughing at?” I demanded. “Nothing funny has happened. I challenge you to show me what’s funny.”

“Well, they’re enjoying themselves, having fun,” she said. She likes the programme, so maybe I’m wrong.

I didn’t mind it so much when they remained seated all the time, but now we have Matt Dawson getting up and prancing about all over the place to annoy me even more. It pretends to be a quiz – I mean, who really cares if it’s Michael Carrick under the false beard – but really it’s a recruiting poster for Strictly Come Dancing.

A TV producer friend of mine once told me that half the secret of television is to look pleased to be there, which they certainly do on QOS, but in my view they’re abusing the privilege."

Not Question of Sport.

But I was reminded of it when reading Martin Kelner's excellent weekly column...

"But there’s something about A Question Of Sport that gets in amongst me. Whether it’s the false jollity, the forced bonhomie, or the sheer bloody Phil Tufnellness of it that sets my teeth on edge, it’s impossible to say without further research.

I’ve probably watched it four times in the past 10 years, either by accident or for columnar reasons, and each time it has me diving down the back of the sofa for the remote so I can change channels before a possibly fatal rise in blood pressure.

I paused it on Saturday, and called my wife in. “What are they all laughing at?” I demanded. “Nothing funny has happened. I challenge you to show me what’s funny.”

“Well, they’re enjoying themselves, having fun,” she said. She likes the programme, so maybe I’m wrong.

I didn’t mind it so much when they remained seated all the time, but now we have Matt Dawson getting up and prancing about all over the place to annoy me even more. It pretends to be a quiz – I mean, who really cares if it’s Michael Carrick under the false beard – but really it’s a recruiting poster for Strictly Come Dancing.

A TV producer friend of mine once told me that half the secret of television is to look pleased to be there, which they certainly do on QOS, but in my view they’re abusing the privilege."

Oh for the glory days of Botham v Beaumont. I remember taping it when Bryan Robson was on.

Has anyone watched Banshee? It's on Sky box sets and I'm thinking about giving it a go, worth it?

Not a fan of QoS, the best captains were Lineker and Gower on they think it's all over

Easily the best sports quiz show Jonathon Ross was always brilliant on there. I compare A League Of Their Own to that. Play to the whistle on ITV is a terrible attempt at trying to compete with A League Of Their Own!

Easily the best sports quiz show Jonathon Ross was always brilliant on there. I compare A League Of Their Own to that. Play to the whistle on ITV is a terrible attempt at trying to compete with A League Of Their Own!

Yeah Ross was brilliant, liked Lee Hurst and Nick Hancock too. A league of their own is OK but always thought it's a poor mans They think it's all over, never even heard of play to the whistle!

Just finished Camping, the latest Julia Davis vehicle.

Here's the thing - her stuff is only moderately funny. Yes, lots of gross-out stuff, sex jokes and male nudity, but not really funny. from Human Remains, through to Nighty Night, Hunderby and now Camping, it's all basically the same. She's clearly a real media darling though, because her stuff invariably gets great reviews.

Just finished Camping, the latest Julia Davis vehicle.

Here's the thing - her stuff is only moderately funny. Yes, lots of gross-out stuff, sex jokes and male nudity, but not really funny. from Human Remains, through to Nighty Night, Hunderby and now Camping, it's all basically the same. She's clearly a real media darling though, because her stuff invariably gets great reviews.
I think Human Remains is proper funny, but mainly due to Brydon. Can't really be doing with her stuff since.

I only saw the first Camping and I quite liked it. I don't have Sky, so it was a bit difficult to "acquire", but I do agree that she is a one-trick pony somewhat. Didn't get on with Hunderby at all really.

I think Human Remains is proper funny, but mainly due to Brydon. Can't really be doing with her stuff since.

*Loved* Human Remains. And as you say, maybe Brydon deserves to take more of the credit.

I only saw the first Camping and I quite liked it. I don't have Sky, so it was a bit difficult to "acquire", but I do agree that she is a one-trick pony somewhat. Didn't get on with Hunderby at all really.

Despite the odd laugh out loud moment, it fell away quite drastically after the first episode.

Back