• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What are you reading?

Absolutely detest the man. Attempted suicide by jumping in front of a lorry. And last year the driver who was driving the lorry ended up killing himself. Due to, which I believe, was some sort of PTSD and guilt. He also had a wife and kids. Clarkes selfish actions resulted in a young family growing up without a father.

And now he sells stories to the paper about is "experiences" :whistling: in my eyes he is responsible for the death of a young man.

I used to have a wrong attitude towards suicide and my views on the whole Gary Speed death were very controversial. Now I have a wife who suffers from a form of depression that runs in the family (probably being married to me doesn't help). I decided within my job I deal with people who may suffer from PTSD and Mental Health issues, I have been on many courses now on how to risk manage trauma and all about mental health. Blaming him for the Lordy drivers PTSD maybe a way of calling him a **** but look at the bigger picture. The guy is suffering and suffering hard, it's a disease that not a lot of us truly understand unless you have suffered from. He won't have been seeing that driver being traumatised by possibly ending the life of someone, he wouldn't have seen the affect that would have on him or his family or the domino affect it has on everyone. He was ill and is suffering the only thing that would have been going through his head was to end the pain.

Absolutely detest the man. Attempted suicide by jumping in front of a lorry. And last year the driver who was driving the lorry ended up killing himself. Due to, which I believe, was some sort of PTSD and guilt. He also had a wife and kids. Clarkes selfish actions resulted in a young family growing up without a father.

And now he sells stories to the paper about is "experiences" :whistling: in my eyes he is responsible for the death of a young man.

It was a lad who stopped to help I think. It is tragic, but you can't castigate people who are suffering from severe mental depression as they're not thinking normally

i've just finished the Julian Barnes book the Noise of Time. I really enjoyed it and would totally recommend it.

I've now just started Journeyman by Ben Smith. It's a good read so far

I'm just finishing Danny Baker's Going to Sea in a Sieve. I think I'm reading it after reading some recommendations on here a few months back. I also read the Girl on the Train last week which was a bit predictable, but ok. Definitely feels like a film.
I'm just finishing a part time degree so reading for pleasure again feels fantastic. Seeking good recommendations my fellow Shrimpers. I like Orwell, Steinbeck, any 19th Century Classics, Comedy.....well anything really so hope you can enlighten me on some good books out there....

I'm just finishing Danny Baker's Going to Sea in a Sieve. I think I'm reading it after reading some recommendations on here a few months back. I also read the Girl on the Train last week which was a bit predictable, but ok. Definitely feels like a film.
I'm just finishing a part time degree so reading for pleasure again feels fantastic. Seeking good recommendations my fellow Shrimpers. I like Orwell, Steinbeck, any 19th Century Classics, Comedy.....well anything really so hope you can enlighten me on some good books out there....

Conn Iggulden is one of my favourite historical fiction authors. He wrote a 5 book series on Julius Caeser's rise to fame from boyhood to his death. The Emperor series titles are:

The gates of Rome
The Death of Kings
The Field of Swords
The Gods of War
The Blood of the Gods

Try the first one, either in paperback or from the library. South Bank Hank read them and he couldn't put them down. they are just very good books.

Conn Iggulden is one of my favourite historical fiction authors. He wrote a 5 book series on Julius Caeser's rise to fame from boyhood to his death. The Emperor series titles are:

The gates of Rome
The Death of Kings
The Field of Swords
The Gods of War
The Blood of the Gods

Try the first one, either in paperback or from the library. South Bank Hank read them and he couldn't put them down. they are just very good books.

Great stuff, thanks

The Ghengis series were good. I think the last series you mention is the Songbird trilogy which I'm currently on the last one of.

Read the first Ghengis a while back, might have the first Caeser one somewhere too, heavy sods, but not too shabby if you're into that kind of thing.

Nearly finished, ( partly thanks to a long internet session this morning), W Stephen Gilbert's Jeremy Corbyn-Accidental Hero.

Highly partisan but that's perhaps a useful corrective to all the bile about JC in the mainstream media.

The Monuments - A history of the one day classics.

Christ, those guys were hard in the early days, and the doping was more severe, one chap died a few days after his coach slipped him a stimulant with strychnine in it

Back