• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What are you reading?

Just started Nick Lloyd's excellent Forgotten Places,Barcelona and the Spanish Civil War.

Anyone planning a trip to Barna and interested in this period,should sign up for one of Nick's (via Facebook) highly informative walking tours of the city center.

Last edited:
i'm reading Das Reboot by Rafa Honigstein which is about how Germany got good at football again and won the world cup.

it's pretty interesting and really relevant as i'd love us to win an international trophy some day but it doesn't half jump around a lot, i'm fairly lost with what he's going on about as one minute he's talking about Germany preparing some a World Cup 2014 match then he's talking about some bloke who was a player in the 70s and their contribution to regional youth football.

but overall it's interesting

Just started Nick Lloyd'd excellent Forgotten Places,Barcelona and the Spanish Civil War.

Anyone planning a trip to Barna and interested in this period,should sign up for one of Nick's (via Facebook) highly informative walking tours of the city center.

Keep your hands in your pockets though, it's the pick pocket capital of Europe.:thumbdown:

The Noise of Time.Julian Barnes.

Just started this.Doesn't look as good as The Sense of an Ending.Shorter though.:smile:

i got that for my birthday. really enjoying it.
i have to keep reminding myself that it's fiction though, don't know how much is based on truth but it's really good at doing those little bits that seem like they are real.
up there with 1984 as a tale of living under totalitarianism, horrible

i got that for my birthday. really enjoying it.
i have to keep reminding myself that it's fiction though, don't know how much is based on truth but it's really good at doing those little bits that seem like they are real.
up there with 1984 as a tale of living under totalitarianism, horrible

It's certainly very good about life in the Soviet Union under Stalin.

Currently reading Rosa Prince's biography Comrade Corbyn.

Given that RP is an ex-lobby correspondent for the Torygraph it's not quite the hatchet job that it could have been.Clearly the author is not much of a fan of JC though.

The book, perhaps not suprisingly, is much better on the events of the last year or so rather than on deep background.

Just finished reading Clarke Carlisle's book, not your usual footballers self absorbed biography. Look at me and how great I am/was ******** that normally comes with one. Talks a lot about his drinking problems and then his issues with depression a really interesting read from what comes across as a genuinely nice bloke.

Aside from having the temerity to read a book published 60 years ago, I'm also dipping in and out of the first volume of Simon Schama's History of Britain.

We've just had the Peasants' Revolt (not really instigated by peasants at all, but lots of Essex towns get a mention) and now Richard II is getting a bit big for his boots. This won't end well for him.

Just finished reading Clarke Carlisle's book, not your usual footballers self absorbed biography. Look at me and how great I am/was ******** that normally comes with one. Talks a lot about his drinking problems and then his issues with depression a really interesting read from what comes across as a genuinely nice bloke.

Absolutely detest the man. Attempted suicide by jumping in front of a lorry. And last year the driver who was driving the lorry ended up killing himself. Due to, which I believe, was some sort of PTSD and guilt. He also had a wife and kids. Clarkes selfish actions resulted in a young family growing up without a father.

And now he sells stories to the paper about is "experiences" :whistling: in my eyes he is responsible for the death of a young man.

Back