• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What are you reading?

Red - Gary Neville - very interesting read and found him to be very honest and doesn't blow his own trumpet unlike a lot of footballers biographies.

Next up - Undisputed Truth - Mike Tyson.

Recently finished David Kynaston's excellent Family Britain 1951-157.

Talking about the 55/6 season:-

"On the opening day itself,the most heartwarming scene was at Southend United,who entertained Norwich City in Third Division South for the opening of the new Roots Hall ground,entirely financed by supporters (who apparently never thought of trying to achieve ownership).Before the kick-off, there was music by the band of the Southend United Supporter's Club,a service of dedication by the vicar of Prittlewell and everyone standing to sing "Abide with Me".On a baking hard surface on a hot afternoon,Southend ran out 3-1 winners in front of a 17,000 crowd,which after the final whistle swarmed over the pitch."

(My bolded text).:'(

Look Who's Back. Hitler wakes up in Berlin in 2011 and finds things have changed a little since 1945.

A German book originally, where it was a big hit.

I can recommend a few sas books that I have read.
They are :
Close quarter battle by Mike Curtis (falklands and Iraq part 1)very good book
The shooting gallery by Gaz Hunter(helping afghans against Russia)
Sabre squadron by Cameron Spence(Iraq)
First into action by Duncan Falconer (sbs falklands onwards)
All true stories.

Recently finished David Kynaston's excellent Modernity Britain,Book One,Opening the Box 1957-59,his post WW2 history of Britain due to finish in 1979.

On a Robert Harris buzz at the moment (I got 6 of his books for £8 off ebay one of which I have already read), recently read Fatherland and The Fear Index both of which were excellent and have now started Enigma.

On the run by Alice Goffman

A reportage of fugitive life in inner city America.

I have every sympathy for those born into such environments but in my opinion the book apportion far too much blame on the police and glosses over the gun crime, drug crime, robberies and crack addicted mothers raising children in squalor.

Goodbye Poland , The Memoires Of Stefan B Maczka , a really fantastic read about Stefans true war adventures , this is one of those books that you just cant put down .

Just finished 'Different every time' - a biography of Robert Wyatt (Soft Machine, Shipbuilding etc). I've been revisiting his back catalogue, too, and this capped it off. A real original.

As you've mentioned Ian Rankin, you might enjoy this. An unfeasibly pretentious letter in The Times and his response...

As you've mentioned Ian Rankin, you might enjoy this. An unfeasibly pretentious letter in The Times and his response...

Cheers.I'm sorry to hear that IR is a Times reader though.:winking:

Currently reading Nick Offerman's autobiography 'Paddle Your Own Canoe', interesting & funny read, a must for Parks & Rec fans (and I haven't even got to that part yet).

I'd also heartily recommend 'Crate Digger' by Bob Suren, record store owner, mail order company owner, record label owner, & musician. Tells the story of his life through the records he loves, you don't need to be a hardcore punk fan (I'm not especially) to enjoy it, wasn't expecting the last few chapters to be so gut-wrenchingly sad. Superb.

Recently finished reading Colm Toibin's Brooklyn.Excellent on 1950's small town Ireland and NY.

Currently being filmed with a script by Nick Hornby,apparenty

Picked up the Johnathan Strange and Mr Morrell book last night. Big paperback at 800 pages but for three quid, not gonna complain, should be a good read.

Back