• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What are you reading?

Read The Martian, which I really enjoyed. Nice mix of survival story and science/space nerdary

Also read The Lie by CL Taylor which was utter guff

Finally getting through the Friday Night Lights book, which is brilliant, but occasionally gets a little dry. If you're a fan of sport and American politics then I think you'd like this.

Read The Martian, which I really enjoyed. Nice mix of survival story and science/space nerdary

Also read The Lie by CL Taylor which was utter guff

Finally getting through the Friday Night Lights book, which is brilliant, but occasionally gets a little dry. If you're a fan of sport and American politics then I think you'd like this.

Martian :Didnt you find it a bit repetitive. I mean theres only so many times you can be told how much mud he needs to make. If found it ok but was glad to get to the end of it.

Thought Friday Night Lights was a great book, the fact it wasnt just about football made it for me.

I enjoyed the Martian; looking forward to the film too.

Currently reading an old Stephen King and Peter Straub collaboration - The Talisman. Like many of Stephen King's books I re-read it every few years; getting to know the characters again is enjoyable.

When I say read, I actually mean listen to. Apart from when I'm on holiday, most of the things I "read" are audiobooks.

Chavs: The demonisation of the working class. Very interesting and revealing review of how politicians (from all sides) have stomped all over poor people over the last 30 years.

Roy Keane's second book - I didn't read the first one and you don't really need too. As much media attention as it got as a slagging match between Fergie and Roy I thought it was pretty tame. I thought he was honest and didn't really speak that badly about Fergie. A good read the only bad thing was the sly dig at us. When he says after Sunderland got promoted "I'm playing at Liverpool and Manchester United when last season we were going to places like Southend and Colchester."

Roy Keane's second book - I didn't read the first one and you don't really need too. As much media attention as it got as a slagging match between Fergie and Roy I thought it was pretty tame. I thought he was honest and didn't really speak that badly about Fergie. A good read the only bad thing was the sly dig at us. When he says after Sunderland got promoted "I'm playing at Liverpool and Manchester United when last season we were going to places like Southend and Colchester."

I have always thought Roy Keane looks like Ian Huntley.

Loads.

Recent reads:

Pulver, Joseph S. - A Season in Carcosa (average horror anthology) 6/10
Dicker, Joël - The truth about the Harry Quebert affair (page-turning thrilller) 8/10
Allende, Isabel - Ripper : a novel (terribly dull crime novel that seems old hat) 5/10
Ross, Adam - Mr. Peanut (too-clever by half crime pastiche) 5/10

Current reads:

Black, Saul - The killing lessons (OK so far, plotting a bit messy, too many strands)

To read:

Muriel, Oscar de - The strings of murder
Barron, Laird - The imago sequence and other stories
Cornwell, Jessica - The serpent papers
Miské, Karim - Arab jazz
Richmond, T.R. - What she left

Just finished Ian Rankin's The Naming of the Dead.Rebus 16.

Timely,as it's set during the Make Poverty History protest in Scotland,the week before the 7/7 London bombings.

Always figured Ian Rankin as a lefty.:thumbsup:

Finished Ian Rankin's wonderful Exit Music,Rebus 17,last night.

Also Exit Music for me,after a fashion,as I've already read Rebus 18 and 19.Still there's a new book in the series out in November,apparently.:thumbsup:

Enjoyed Lawrence Durrell's Bitter Lemons.A memoir of 1950's Cyprus.Very good on the independence struggle.There's also a wonderful early chapter on buying a house on the island,which will resonate with anyone who's ever bought a property abroad.

Back