• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What are you reading?

Leafing through Wisden every night. Mahela Jayawardene's piece on Kumar Sangakkara is almost worth the price of the book alone.

Nearly half way through Ben Smith's Journeyman. It's actually pretty well written. It's also extremely frustrating as you just want to have a word with him and tell him to sort himself out. I'm sure he feels the same now too.

need a pageturner for holiday to take my amazon over £10 for free delivery. any suggestions? go!

Nearly half way through Ben Smith's Journeyman. It's actually pretty well written. It's also extremely frustrating as you just want to have a word with him and tell him to sort himself out. I'm sure he feels the same now too.

Just started it and it looks an excellent read.:thumbsup:

Will keep me going to the fixtures come out (I hope).

'The Shephards Life' by James Rebanks. If I said it was about sheep farming in the Lake District (which basically it is) I'm sure no one would be interested, but it wasn't top of the best sellers list for nothing and I can't put it down. Before that, 'Turning my back on the Premier League' by Lee Price. This was the book written by the Man U fan who gave it all up to follow his now local side Dagenham & Redbridge. Definitely worth a read for lower league fans such as ourselves.

Just finished 12 Years a Slave, which I've had on the Kindle for ages. Enjoyed it very much, but not a patch on Roots, if I'm honest.

Just finished 12 Years a Slave, which I've had on the Kindle for ages. Enjoyed it very much, but not a patch on Roots, if I'm honest.

It was an authentic contemporary account, (if I'm not mistaken), brought to Steve McQueen's attention by his wife, who's an academic.So hardly suprising if it lacks the punch of Alex Haley.(Not that I've read either book).

It was an authentic contemporary account, (if I'm not mistaken), brought to Steve McQueen's attention by his wife, who's an academic.So hardly suprising if it lacks the punch of Alex Haley.(Not that I've read either book).

Yes, you're right. I suppose "real" life is a bit different to imagined real life. I felt it just lacked a bit of description in the other slave characters that Solomon was enslaved with, which is where Roots excelled. It is a very worthwhile read though, and I am looking forward to watching the film at some point.

Yes, you're right. I suppose "real" life is a bit different to imagined real life. I felt it just lacked a bit of description in the other slave characters that Solomon was enslaved with, which is where Roots excelled. It is a very worthwhile read though, and I am looking forward to watching the film at some point.

I certainly liked the film a lot the second time I saw it (and all the Oscar fuss) had died down.

One of the changes in my life I find hardest to adapt to is the lack of reading time I have these days. I used to read a couple of books a week, now I'm quite pleased to have just finished The Caliban Shore by Stephen Taylor having started it in mid-January.

An excellent read, it is another (probably the best) account of the fate of the Grosvenor castaways in Africa in the late eighteenth century:

"Taylor strips away the barnacles of legend, melodrama and racism that encrusted the initial tragedy and gives us a narrative that is complex, moving and immaculately paced"

Clive Barkers book was ok. Pinhead v Lucifer was cool
now reading a so called acclaimed thriller about a professor called Harry Quebert which is so so.

How I won the yellow jumper, Ned Boulting.
its a few years old but an interesting view behind the scenes of the TV coverage of the TDF

Panzer Commander - Memoirs of Hans Von Luck.

Fought in Normandy, North Africa, Eastern front. He talks of the Gentlemans war in North Africa where he swapped a British prisoner for some Quinine, and they swapped one of his for some cigarettes as they were getting low.

Other tales, a Hurricane attacked their group. standard practise was to run away and lay on the floor during the attack. His radio operator stayed on one of the vehicles. The British/ or / Canadian pilot, flew past, waved the guy away from the vehicle and went back and strafed it when he was clear.

He also talks of his patrol being shot up by Brits who's officer in charge left them with a vehicle and some water so they could get back to their battalion.

Halfway through and having failed to convince Hitler to withdraw from Africa, on the instructions of Rommel, he is on his way to the eastern front. Real page turner.

Back