• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What are you reading?

Just started The Empty Throne by Bernard Cornwell, The eighth book of the Warrior Chronicles/Saxon Tales. The opening chapters suggest the book will be up to the quality of the rest of the series.

Finished the latest Murakami book, very good read. Now reading Amanda Palmer's 'The Art Of Asking', only a third through it, but love it and it's essential reading for anyone with artistsic ambitions.

I am working my way through the Walt Longmire series by Craig Johnson, similar themed to the TV series but better. I recommend it for those that like Reacher style books.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Read the book,seen the play.Currently catching up with the stage adaption.Apparently it's being made into a film soon.:thumbsup:

I don't usually read but as I'm in recovery from an operation I've started reading again.

I've just read "Barnaby Rudge" by Charles Dickens, based around the Gordon anti-popery Riots in London of 1780. Really enjoyed reading it and comparing it with the facts about something I knew nothing of previously.

The Blind Side by Michael Lewis.

Decent film and the book adds a bit more depth to it. Doesnt have Sandra Bullock in it sadly.

The Blind Side by Michael Lewis.

Decent film and the book adds a bit more depth to it. Doesnt have Sandra Bullock in it sadly.

There ya go JM. Print this off (to book size obviously) and whenever you need it, hey presto!! Job done

images

Can anyone recommend any decent war story books? From recent conflicts or stories from some of our wars of past.

I have read:
Bravo Two Zero
No Easy Day
The One That Got Away
Sniper One
Barefoot Soldier
The Nowzad trilogy of books.

Not necessarily Andy McNabb gungho *****, but Louis de Berniers' novels are set in various wars - Captain Corelli's Mandolin (WW2), Bird Without Wings (WW1), The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts. I love all 3, and I must read more of his works.

Also Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (WW1), Regeneration by Pat Barker - WW1.

Not necessarily Andy McNabb gungho *****, but Louis de Berniers' novels are set in various wars - Captain Corelli's Mandolin (WW2), Bird Without Wings (WW1), The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts. I love all 3, and I must read more of his works.

Are they true stories? Because that's what I am looking for like in the list of books all written by the persons events in those situations.

Would certainly recommend this -and in fact anything by PB.

Can anyone recommend any decent war story books? From recent conflicts or stories from some of our wars of past.

I have read:
Bravo Two Zero
No Easy Day
The One That Got Away
Sniper One
Barefoot Soldier

All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

Not war related, but I've just finished The Testament Of Mary by Colm Tóibín and am now on to The Tenth Man by Graham Greene.

I have read:
Bravo Two Zero
No Easy Day
The One That Got Away
Sniper One
Barefoot Soldier

All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

Just turned the page to find that I've been beaten to it.

Completing my trio of essential books about war are Primo Levi's If This Is a Man and Joseph Heller's Catch-22

Also recommended

Celine's Journey to the End of the Night
Mailer's The Naked and the Dead
Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls and A Farewell to Arms
Orwell's Homage to Catalonia
Greene's The Quiet American
Herr's Dispatches
Air America (forgot who wrote that)

Back