• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook 👨‍🍳

Transfer news
As a few others have said, I'd personally prefer a like for like back up/ competition for Harry Cardwell. History tells us he's not going to be playing 46 games this season and we already have Walker and Waldron who can play the Tshimanga role.
I agree with you. I’d say that’s the starting preference. However over 46 games we need to find different systems and this has arguably been a limitation of King Kev, albeit he’s often worked with an arm tied behind his back. We can’t always persist with this big man, little man front two when it isn’t working. We will need to figure out how to mix it up and when needed go to a plan B and C if we want to be challenging at the top end

I agree with you. I’d say that’s the starting preference. However over 46 games we need to find different systems and this has arguably been a limitation of King Kev, albeit he’s often worked with an arm tied behind his back. We can’t always persist with this big man, little man front two when it isn’t working. We will need to figure out how to mix it up and when needed go to a plan B and C if we want to be challenging at the top end
Sod plan B and C. Vilhete and Kabongolo was definitely plan Z!

Cardwell is a player who lets us mix it up as we can play it into his body and he has the strength to hold it up or we can play it over the top and he has the pace to run onto it.

If we can only play it over the top it makes us one dimensional. That’s why we need another forward who can hold the ball up.

I think we have a plan B and C, people just don't see it. Football has moved on from static formations, and whilst we usually line-up in something resembling a 3-5-2, we're very fluid- we move into slightly different formations depending on whether we're attacking or defending, and depending on what stage of our build-up we're at or whereabouts on the pitch the opposition has possession of the ball.

We were good enough last season that little needs changing, and I don't think we've reached anywhere near the ceiling of the current setup.

When people talk about plans B and C, they're usually talking about formations, but it's just not that simple in modern football. If people want to switch to a 2000s-style Plan A and B of two different formations/setups then they'll probably have to accept that the players will never hit a high level of either one, because drilling one on the training pitch takes time away from drilling the other.

I think we have a plan B and C, people just don't see it. Football has moved on from static formations, and whilst we usually line-up in something resembling a 3-5-2, we're very fluid- we move into slightly different formations depending on whether we're attacking or defending, and depending on what stage of our build-up we're at or whereabouts on the pitch the opposition has possession of the ball.

We were good enough last season that little needs changing, and I don't think we've reached anywhere near the ceiling of the current setup.

When people talk about plans B and C, they're usually talking about formations, but it's just not that simple in modern football. If people want to switch to a 2000s-style Plan A and B of two different formations/setups then they'll probably have to accept that the players will never hit a high level of either one, because drilling one on the training pitch takes time away from drilling the other.
I agree.
It's not all about formations, it's also about how the players combine as a Team and can play as a unit rather individuals. Think Gareth Southgate for England, the one thing he needed to learn was how to make all the talented individuals play as a Team / Unit. The Spanish coach managed to do this.

Kev knows the majority of his players, how they perform and what they can do, so it's more about minor adjustments once you see how your opposition set up. What changes are required to get the upper hand.

Back